Finished pics: AP Engineering Hard Top

OP
OP
J

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why not try and glue in with urethane adhesive like a factory window?

I agree the window is the sole distraction. Great job overall. Ket me know if you want a local evaluator at reduced cost :)

It is installed with the urethane. I assume your simply suggesting to leave the trim off? That sounds like something I can look at.

Thanks for the input.

Jeff

SRTLEN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
"It is installed with the urethane. I assume your simply suggesting to leave the trim off"?

Yes,or like you say a thinner one, the trim just appears large/thick. Otherwise the window is great. Can't wait to see the top in black.

Len

Vipera Russelli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We saw a very popular make of hardtop come off a car at speed in sebring a few weeks back. The latch must have come undone, the top flew across the track . . . The more troubling part is that I heard it shattered into pieces which doesn't give much confidence that it would provide any support in a rollover. . . .
I missed that one. Can anyone provide additional details, namely why it came off and whether or not anything is being done to prevent that from happening again, assuming it wasn't operator error.

Agreed. The value of the top in a roll over is keeping you inside. A roll bar is what prevents the outside from coming in. The main thing the top needs to do is prevent becoming shrapnel by disintegrating.
This is one of my main concerns with these after market hardtops. Rolling over sounds awful enough but I would hate to add to the blender-like chaos of sparks, pavement, grass, dirt, rock and arms flying arround within the inverted passenger compartment, a garbage can full of fiberglass shrapnel. The thing either holds together in a rollover, or it becomes more of a liability than an asset IMHO. I wonder if an aluminum hardtop wouldn't be better. Is this hard top somehow better than the one that shattered at Sebring? Thoughts?

OP
OP
J

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeff

Just for the hell of it check out the Mazda hardtop option for the Miata as it has a defroster in it that unplugs.
Robbie

The problem lies in justifing the tooling for the compound curve of the rear glass (the defroster part is easy). Tooling for such a thing is upwards of $20k and then at least a hundred or more pieces of glass must be purchased. These numbers are very hard to justify for a product that MIGHT sell 2 dozen units a year.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i dont think the glass needs to be different or curved. The pm i sent you the this morning the old SL Benz, Caddilac Allante, Mazda Miata all have plug in defroster i think you can utilize the stock power source to plug into. BTW great looking product with my only comment will be agreeing that the weather strip looks a bit bulky/protruding.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Jeff

Just for the hell of it check out the Mazda hardtop option for the Miata as it has a defroster in it that unplugs.
Robbie"

Thanks Sylvan, that is what I was telling him.
Robbie

OP
OP
J

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The top weighs 38 lbs. It attaches in the front the same manner the soft top does (utilizing two outer pins and center draw latch). There is a door cosmetic door cover that is also a security latch for main latch.

The rear attaches via two draw clamps.

1186P1010203-med.JPG

1186P1010206.JPG

These prototype pics look a little rough. Finals will be nicer.

Jeff

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks awesome. Quick question - does the trunk actually close on the top as does the convertible top? Is there any paint to paint contact between the edge of the trunk and the top?

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Damn. That's a good looking top.

As far as the headliner. I've got a trim shop working on a black suede headliner for my SRT/vert now. Might not be for everybody, but I love the look and smell of it.

2005 Silver SRT/10
2000 Steel Gray GTS (sold)

OP
OP
J

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks awesome. Quick question - does the trunk actually close on the top as does the convertible top? Is there any paint to paint contact between the edge of the trunk and the top?

There is no paint to paint contact. The top has a skirt around the rear edge that takes the water to the trough.

Jeff

vincent_esq

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wow, I am almost ready to place an order. One quick question though. With the hardtop on, I am assuming that it is more quiet than with the softop, but how much more quiet is it? I am not expecting that it stops the windnoise as if this is a true coupe, but if it can come near that, I'm sold! Thanks. Any discount on group buys or early orders?

OP
OP
J

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Based on what I could tell, I'd say your assumption is about right. I really did not notice the wind noise as I was concentrating on squeaks and rattles. The fact that I did not notice excessive wind noise is good. If it was bad, I'd have noticed. Sorry for the not-so-concrete answer, but the car immediately went into another project after the top was complete and is ******* right now.

The original list price for the top was $3495. I did some number crunching and decided to try and sell more of them at $2695, leaving little room for discounts and price reductions.

Jeff

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does that price include painting, and what do you think shipping cost would be to WPB,FL?

2005 Silver SRT/10

OP
OP
J

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does that price include painting, and what do you think shipping cost would be to WPB,FL?

2005 Silver SRT/10

Paint included. I'm not sure what shipping will be at this point as I am used to using UPS (which I cannot for this). I'm guessing about $150 but I'll have to contact a trucking co to confirm.

Jeff

wormdoggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really do like it. I think you will do well with it.
You matched the lines of the car perfectly.

Jeff where are you located. ????

Patrick

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote:

2005 Silver SRT/10

Paint included. I'm not sure what shipping will be at this point as I am used to using UPS (which I cannot for this). I'm guessing about $150 but I'll have to contact a trucking co to confirm.

Jeff

2005 Silver SRT/10

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score
Seems like a very nicely finished product, although I am not a fan of the rear window, I prefer Vipermania's.

But at the same time, I really hate that scoop on Vipermania's top. I think it'd only go "well" in a car with heavy body/wheels mods....

Can I get 1/2 of each, please?? :-D

OP
OP
J

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are they ready to go yet, or are they still in R&D?

They are ready for sale, but all tops are made to order. If you order now it will be a couple of weeks before it ships.

Jeff