First Oil Change in 2014

broomrider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK so I have seen the threads on checking to make see your oil is at the right level. I checked mine it was great. I'm curious though, the
Dealer I use says that I don't need an oil change until 6,000 miles. Some people have told me it should be done right after break in. Just to make sure there is no debris in the oil and that everything is operating as it should. I didn't see debris in my oil and it appears to be
Running great. What are the thoughts on this?

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The dealer doesn't own the car anymore, ........you do.
Do what you feel is appropriate, obviously you'll be taking in opinions of others to make a more informed decision.

I have bought several cars new, Viper was one of them. I have made a habit of changing the oil after reaching the first 1000 miles.

What ever your comfortable with. Everybody will have a different idea as to what's the best recommendation. I drive my stuff hard, and never have had any engine problems.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There were threads, probably related to the 2013 ?, where people were saying with conviction that the drained oil had some coloration in it that it should not have had. It looked like there was a break-in oil in there when there shouldn't have been. That's when folks started suggesting to change oil out as early as possible in a new Viper. Personally, with all of the posts on engine failures, I would change the oil and filter if it were mine.

dirkbonn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It's probably possible to change your engine oil to often, but from my experience, high performance engines like fresh oil and new filters.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Given the ever evolving "troubles" that seem to be plaguing some Gen V (mostly 2014 ??) Vipers, I will be changing the oil/filter on our 2014 much more frequently than our other Vipers...watching the used oil lab analyses very closely.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
We have recommended folks change their oil around 500 miles for years. Most Dealers just read what the owner's manual says, as opposed to what the learned engineers on the Viper Team have suggested for years. Would do this now and would make sure you have the correct filter ( SRT filter ending in 41)

OP
OP
broomrider

broomrider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have recommended folks change their oil around 500 miles for years. Most Dealers just read what the owner's manual says, as opposed to what the learned engineers on the Viper Team have suggested for years. Would do this now and would make sure you have the correct filter ( SRT filter ending in 41)
Thanks for all of your help. I now feel a sense of urgency. lol I will get this taken care of before I go to Grapevine Texas. for that event.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
As I have posted in the past, I have monitored all of our Vipers (along with several belonging to friends) for 15 years. These used oil samples have been sent to Blackstone Labs. They have a large file on Vipers...giving them insights into these engines. While there are likely very few Gen V studies to date, I would suggest that all gen v owners consider sampling their oil...frequently and for several years. This might alert one to an evolving problem prior to a catatrosphic failure.

Here is a link to Blackstone: http://www.blackstone-labs.com

OP
OP
broomrider

broomrider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As I have posted in the past, I have monitored all of our Vipers (along with several belonging to friends) for 15 years. These used oil samples have been sent to Blackstone Labs. They have a large file on Vipers...giving them insights into these engines. While there are likely very few Gen V studies to date, I would suggest that all gen v owners consider sampling their oil...frequently and for several years. This might alert one to an evolving problem prior to a catatrosphic failure.

Here is a link to Blackstone: http://www.blackstone-labs.com
Thank you for the link Steve-Indy I will check it out

wrh3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just sent my sample in to them today- Blackstone is good, I've used them for years.

7TH_SIGN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For your first oil/filter change you want to do it at 500 miles. After that I do every 3,000 miles. Don't listen to dealerships unless they are known in the Viper community like Woodhouse. Also I think of the cars manual as "guidelines" and not commandments. :)

OP
OP
broomrider

broomrider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you for the link Steve-Indy I will check it out
Steve I have some questions after checking this website out. Since I'm taking it to a deer on Friday should I ask them to put
the oil sample in a container I bring?
What happens if they find something at the lab? What kind of container do you use?

JST2CRZY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is good to know. I used to dread taking my car to the dealer. I have plenty of Deer around my house I can utilize to work on the Viper. :D
They need at least 3 oz. This is from their site:

"You can send it in any package that won't leak. Notice the key words here: won't leak. Any clean and dry container with a screw-on cap should be okay. Bad choices for the mail include Tupperware, film canisters, pickle jars, and aspirin bottles. Believe me, nothing ruins my day like opening an oil sample and getting oil all over my clothes."

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
broomrider, use a clean container with a secure lid for the sample, then transfer that specimen promptly to the container system that you get from Blackstone...who you can call today to order it. I would also say that I am saving the removed filter (unmolested) in a large sealed container...and, I will be saving all of the filters on our 2014 Viper as well..of course, properly and fully labeled. If you want more info, feel free to call me 317-402-9013

OP
OP
broomrider

broomrider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Went and had the oil changed yesterday and I got an oil sample that I brought home with me. The tech said that it was in fact a good idea
to do that. Everything
looked fine to him and he even gave me a few tips and a personal business card in case I had tech quetions for him. Thank you guys for
making a chick
Aware of something that needed to be taken care of and for all of your advice. :)

Dave1968

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know you guys are trying to help, but really, what are you going to do with all these samples and old oil filters - throw them in the garbage!! If your trying to determine if you can go farther on your oil change than get your sample and stretch it out to your demise. What happens if you get a little too much zinc or something else, are you going to do a complete tear downÉ - I doubt it. The best way Broom to determine if something is wrong, or getting bad is to listen to your car. Just like your kids, listen to it. It will tell you if something is wrong - the slightest change in pitch, or anything will let you know. You can take all the samples you want, but all you need to do is use high quality oils and filters, and change the oils (motor, diff and tranny) very frequently. If the motor fails under warrantee - yeah for you! If after warrantee, use the opportunity to really hop it up! This is a great engine, and if its going to fail, it will go early on if there really is a defect in machining or tollerences with your particular unit and it will be under warrantee. Otherwise it should last a long time with proper maintenance. Dont worry - be happy!

OP
OP
broomrider

broomrider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, I know worry is a waste just trying to take care of the gift my hubby gave me. He also got the Mopar Protection Plan which covers anything up to 1000,000
Miles. I do listen to my cars.

ViperJeff

Legacy Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
Yes, I know worry is a waste just trying to take care of the gift my hubby gave me. He also got the Mopar Protection Plan which covers anything up to 1000,000
Miles. I do listen to my cars.

A million miles......... Damn!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456