First problem with my 08

08Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I found my vehicle's engine is leaking oil.I noticed the other day.It seems to be leaking,leaving spots in 4 corners making a square,directly under the engine.Has anybody any knowledge if there may be a history of oil pan gasket probs?
It is not leaking significantly,but I did not expect a problem such as this with a new car.I am planning to put the car away for the winter in a few days and will wait until next spring to have it looked at.

Chrissss

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have to say that I would have that up to the dealership the next day. Especially with an 08 under warranty. I wouldn't wait for another 5 to 6 months to have it looked at. Just my opinion but I would have that taken car of pronto.

Reaction score
Have you changed the oil on it for the first time yet? The filter can be a cause of oil on the pan if the gasket was doubled up or if there was oil on the top of the filter when installed from pre filling it before installation. This edge will hold enough oil to make a real mess. We have not heard of any pan issues popping up at all.

adamlotus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
when i was having my oil filter changed on my 08 the tech noticed oil pressure switchs 2 were loose ,just retorqued and all is good,maybe something is loose.keep us posted

OP
OP

08Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The oil was changed for the first time about 550 miles ago.Right now,I am not close to the dealer that I originally purchased the car from.Like,1500 miles away.
The problem is,where I'm residing for the next 6 months or so,there are no dealerships I really feel comfortable going to for service.There are very few Vipers around here.The initial dealership I made a appointment with for the oil change asked me if a Viper was a Dodge product.Needless to say,they did not change my oil.A second dealership,that had a 08 in the showroom,said they could change my oil.They did,and now it leaks plus only changed 9 out of the required 10.4 litres of oil.
I do think that it would be prudent to have it looked at before storage and inevitably will end up doing this.If it is something as simple as doubled gaskets,or oil pressure switches,hopefully they should be able to fix this.If there are any more probs,next spring I'll take it to a more reputable dealer,perhaps drive it to Woodhouse!

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
asked me if a Viper was a Dodge product.

yeah, not as inspiring as when a non-car person asks if that is a Ferrari.

My Gen II did the same thing after my 1st oil change, drops, not measurable on the dip stick. Just keep an eye on it until you can get someone you trust to check it out. Mark (Woodhouse Viper Service Mgr.) is prob right as usual.

Congrats on the car.

OP
OP

08Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had an appt today to have the vehicle checked.The service technician wasn't interested in looking at it.His response was,"the car takes 12 litres of oil and there is a pan that the oil tends to spill on.Take it home put some cardboard underneath,monitor it and in the spring bring it back.We'll check it at the next oil change."
This was my initial plan.This is what I have to deal with here.It was their sloppy work that resulted in this issue.

Reaction score
Print a copy of this thread and take it back to the service manager. Tell him that you think it may be in HIS best interest to check it out for you while it is fresh in his mind...

I had an appt today to have the vehicle checked.The service technician wasn't interested in looking at it.His response was,"the car takes 12 litres of oil and there is a pan that the oil tends to spill on.Take it home put some cardboard underneath,monitor it and in the spring bring it back.We'll check it at the next oil change."
This was my initial plan.This is what I have to deal with here.It was their sloppy work that resulted in this issue.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score

EEEEESH...boy that makes me VERY UNEASY~! :omg: It's too bad you don't have another place to take the Viper...another Dodge dealer close by that you could call to see if they have a TRUE VIPER TECH???? (they are rare) Gosh, I feel so badly for you...wish we as members could HELP you out more. I could tell you to CALL certain people, but that won't help you, you need that car looked at by a 'professional'. Where are you located again? Is there ANYBODY near you that has a VIPER that you can talk with to see who THEY bring their car to? Major Bummer....juli

**GOOD advice as usual from Mark/Woodhouse...IF your dealer would even LOOK at the thread???** Some take offense, if they DO, they don't warrant any more of your time, again easy to say...you may have very limited options there**

OP
OP

08Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I spoke to the Service Manager about the incident.He seemed genuinely disturbed about what transpired.He told me to bring it back on Saturday,anytime,and they will clean up the oil and assess where the dripping is coming from.Unfortunately,It's supposed to pour all weekend,and as crazy as this may sound,I won't drive the car in the rain.
Keep you posted.
Trevor

OP
OP

08Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rain held off.I took the car back.Service manager was there.They changed my oil and cleaned the underside.They identified a leaking rear crank seal.
Next spring I will take it elsewhere for the repair.
My main residence is on the Island in B.C.,which is where I bought my car.For temporary work purposes I am residing until the spring in a province called Manitoba,which is central Canada above The Dakotas.Not too far from Nebraska.