First run-in with police in my Viper, not fun at all!

tattooed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've had my 2010 SSG ACR for two weeks now. While driving through The Plaza in Kansas City tonight, KCPD pulled me over. I was driving the speed limit, abiding by all traffic laws, etc. Car is bone stock, no exhaust or tinted windows.

The officer said he pulled me over because my plate was registered to another car (my 2009 Z06). The Z06 was traded in two weeks ago and the tag had been (legally) transferred to my Viper. To avoid being shot, I immediately notified the officer that I had two loaded handguns in the car, and that I have a CCW permit. He pulled me out of the car, detained me, asked for ID and insurance (which I had and which was all in order). After I provided proof that the plate, my license and my insurance were all legit, he then told me that he had pulled me over because a car *exactly* like mine had been stolen in town two months ago. I asked him if he was sure about that, because there are only two 2010 solid SSG Viper ACRs in the entire world, I know the owner of the other one, his car is in Houston TX, and as of last week it had not been stolen.

The officers then decided to detain me, quiz me on things like my SSN, confiscate my guns and pocket knife, search me, and search my Viper. They told me that I would be arrested and my car towed ... because my car was not properly registered. I _again_ told them that I bought the car new two weeks ago, that I have 30 days to register and title the car, that it is properly insured, that I legally own it, etc. I even provided the business card of the dealer/salesman I bought it from.

After tossing my car really good, looking for drugs and weapons, and running the serials on my XDM and S&W 340PD, they asked me why I was not wearing the full frame XDM in my belt holster. I explained that it is impossible to do so while seated in a Viper. Then they asked me why I had it sitting on my passenger seat, which is legal in MO. They said that it should be in the glove box, and I pointed out that a full frame XDM will not even come close to fitting in a Viper glove box.

Finally, they decided to return my guns to me, told me they were going to cut me a break this time, and let me go.

fwiw, I have no points on my license, no tickets, no insurance claims in over 15 years, no accidents in over 15 years, and no criminal record. Not even a parking ticket. I don't smoke, don't drink, I'm polite and friendly, and I have a big US flag sticker on my Viper because I'm a very patriotic American.

I've got a bunch of friends who are local LEO, and I have always been a very big supporter of local LEO and their efforts. After this incident, I'm not quite as enthusiastic about the local PD.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That surely stinks

Based on what you posted, we have much in common, and I can see me doing and saying much of the same things

So the only thing in your post that would come close to reason for the hard time is
he then told me that he had pulled me over because a car *exactly* like mine had been stolen in town two months ago. I asked him if he was sure about that, because there are only two 2010 solid SSG Viper ACRs in the entire world, I know the owner of the other one, his car is in Houston TX, and as of last week it had not been stolen.

or they could just be a couple of bad eggs,

glad they only wasted your time

:drive:

OP
OP
T

tattooed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I forgot that I did have an "encounter" with LEO last weekend. I drove into a DWI checkpoint. The officer who interrogated me was the hottest cop I've ever met - looked like Cameron Diaz / Renee Zellweger (on a really good Zellweger day). She wasn't concerned about my guns. She was definitely smitten with the Viper though, and she was really flirtatious, smiling, and friendly. If I had suggested that she let me cuff her and have my way with her on the hood of the Viper, I think she'd have let me.

My wife was really pissed when I got home and described the checkpoint encounter. She didn't seem to understand that I had no control over how absolutely smoking hot the cop was. ;)

pure zen

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sounds like a bad run-in with the officers during a slow time of their shift. Giving you a rough time probably made their day.

80% of officers are generally alright people, doing a tough/dangerous job. Then there are the others,,,,,power and ego trip AHs who are miserable with their lives, and want you to feel the same. Chances are if you had been driving a '05 Malibu, they wouldn't have given you a second thought. Write it off as an experience....

OP
OP
T

tattooed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You're absolutely right pure zen. fwiw, despite tonight's experience, I still think KCPD is just about the best/coolest police dept of any place I have lived or spent significant time at.

The absolute coolest cops ever, ironically, were in Hong Kong. My wife and I both worked for HKPD though (I was just teaching them English) so they treated me like family and invited me to go out and party with them all the time.

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just checked, my car is still in the garage..... :)

Sorry for all your troubles! There are many SSG Vipers out there, I'm not sure if the LEO would have known the difference between a coupe and ACR, or remembered stripes/centerbands on the other car. I'm sure you got pulled over for the plate issue, it doesn't sound like the plate update got all the way thru the system yet.

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the hassle. What bothers me is that the officer was probably lying about a car exactly like yours being stolen.

Based on your description of events, that officer sounded totally unprofessional. Did you write down his name?

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cops are real careful when they aren't the only ones with guns...they probably had some free time on their hands, that's why they ran you through the ringer. I don't love the po-po, but I don't do anything to piss them off either. I don't exactly follow all the laws pertaining to vehicle usage, so I don't really want to get on any of their **** lists. :burnout:

mrbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
took my red gen 1 out today i'am on the border of iowa and ill. had cops follow me in ill then went to iowa and 2 more followed me around i did not get pulled over but they were all over me so i put my car away and called it a day .

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get followed all the time. I can see them running the plates in my rear view (at least I guess thats what they are doing). Only was stopped once, but thats another story.

car-hor

Viper Owner
Reaction score
And they wonder why they get a bad rap......

I've always considered keeping a video recorder in my car in the event I get pulled over and hurassed by a cop. Might be a good alternate use for a GoPro if you've got one.

Michael

OP
OP
T

tattooed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've just about decided to limit Viper driving to daytime now. KC has recently implemented DWI checkpoints EVERY weekend. I don't drink, but I don't want to sit in a line for hours while they shut down a major interstate highway like this ...

http://www.kmbc.com/news/kansas-cit...int/-/11664182/14757886/-/sg54ts/-/index.html

We're also getting more red light cameras, surveillance cameras, and hidden microphones all over town. I'm not impressed with our Orwellian mayor and police chief. Ready to move to Montana.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DUI checkpoints on a highway are insane. If someone isn't paying attention (drunk or not), suddenly coming to a stop on an interstate in the middle of the night has the potential to cause more accidents.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That used to be how I got treated everytime I went to the beach in Revere, MA. I was single and would drive to the beach for food and local color. The kids would be smoking **** and as the cops drive by, it would go over the wall. But they would ignore all of them and come to the brown-skinned guy with the fast car who's eating a sandwich. Make me turn my pockets inside out, look in the car, ask me questions like I was a kid with a rich parent. They were just plain irritating and trying to give me tickets. I even got one for not wearing a seat belt in my condo parking lot and another for reckless endangerment (25mph in a 25mph zone). Suffice it to say that I have very little respect left or LEOs. The bad ones can be abusive with their power.

OP
OP
T

tattooed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yep! That is soooo true.:drive:

Grey hair would be a good ploy! lol

Wouldn't one think that this may potentially make you a target in the future???

You're absolutely right, and that was why I decided to just let it go. I actually did have to file a complaint against a KCPD meter maid one time. The guy got pissed that I insulted him in front of a crowd of people. He decided to find out where I live, and start writing me tickets for cars parked in my driveway, garage, and in front of my house. He had to leave his patrol area to do so. I think he lost his job over that incident.

That used to be how I got treated everytime I went to the beach in Revere, MA. I was single and would drive to the beach for food and local color. The kids would be smoking **** and as the cops drive by, it would go over the wall. But they would ignore all of them and come to the brown-skinned guy with the fast car who's eating a sandwich. Make me turn my pockets inside out, look in the car, ask me questions like I was a kid with a rich parent. They were just plain irritating and trying to give me tickets. I even got one for not wearing a seat belt in my condo parking lot and another for reckless endangerment (25mph in a 25mph zone). Suffice it to say that I have very little respect left or LEOs. The bad ones can be abusive with their power.

Crappy situation for you, and I don't know how you'd win that one.

There was a local kid here who had an SLR McLaren at age 16, and a stable of Ferraris and Lambos to drive on weekends. His dad had connections though, so the kid basically got a free pass.