First Service - First Impressions

vvvviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
500 miles on the dot, I'm up on the rack for a service at local S.FL Dodge dealer. Viper Tech there is up and up guy who I've known 10 years (well before I bought the car a month ago) I was in for oil change/filter (insisted on Mobil 1) and install of smooth tubes and filters. Here were my results and observations:

1. Result #1. $171 out of pocket. I thought this was RICH considering I provided the smoothies and K & Ns. What do ya think? Or is this the type of money outlay I better start getting used to with this car?

2. Observation #1. Dodge Dealers have next to nothing in the form of parts (for Vipers) Window guide broken, did not have part... on order. Eliminate skip shift - did not have part. EBC pads....no chance (John B. to the rescue and FAST)

3. Observation #2. Local Viper Tech has a boat load of specific Viper tools and knows how to use em. Guy loves vipers but seems to be primarily workin on a/c problems in Dodge Caravans. One visit will seemingly always require soon to follow up visit because of lack of parts.

4. Life Lesson #1. Time is money. I think that guy with the '01 RT who built that hard top storage "elevator" via winch in his garage is THE COOLEST. I wish I had time to do that....or even tinker around, change the oil/filter put in induction, switch out to Optima battery etc.

....the car's alot of fun (even during hurricane season) Ideally, driving it should be the reward for working on it. So for the time being, I guess I'll just DRIVE IT.

Greg W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Costs sound about right. Oil change is about $120, with Mobil 1 oil here in San Diego. I hope the $171 included the oil change along with the relatively simple K&N's and smoothies installation.

Greg W

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Common complaint........the BEST techs can diagnose your likley fix in advance, and they have the juice to get the dealership to carry "the likely suspects" in inventory. Esp consumables.

My Viper tech is great: Door latch quit, we figure solonoid; he orders and has it ready....120 mile round trip. FIXED !
--My dealer has "Free Lifetime Oilchange" with any new car. I was the first (and last) Viper GTS to get that privilige! I even get MoBil One Filter and Mobil One oil! Free....
Catch: 7500 mile interval.
--My dealer: pays salary of Viper tech to attend VCA track days.
--My Tech: Volunteer Pit Crew, Viper Racing ALMS this weekend.
--My Dealer: TIMBERLINE DODGE-Portland. Tech: Ken "Klickty-Klack" Klickman.

Bad News: "Gee, The LAST Viper took 10 quarts" (OilChange guy!)

Brian Denham

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went for my 3000 mile oil change a couple months ago. I took it back to the dealer where I purchased the car as they have a free oil change for every vehicle purchased. Small print however reads "up to 5 qt's" so im expecting to pay handsomely for the extra mobil 1 the car gets. Service guy comes to waiting area and says im ready to go. Go to the cashier, get checkbook out, sign the slip, get handed the keys and told "have a nice day Mr. Denham". I call the service guy back over and inform him I wasn't charged(damit im too honest). He says "everything internal on the car is covered and oil is internal". I drive off smiling!!