First time at Gingerman

snakebitdave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thursday night was the first time I got up the nerve to track two of my cars. I had driven on Gratten's track with my 93 long ago but just put-putted around.

We took the 96 and 03 to Gingerman and were two of only four cars there Thursday night. You can drive the track Tuesday nights through Thursday nights from 5:30 to 8:30 for $60 per driver. The people in charge of the track were very courteous.

I wanted my friend to drive the 03 as he was somewhat accustomed to it but at 6'-3" and helmeted he couldn't fit with the top up (they didn't allow top down???). So he drove the 96 as he fit better. Can't believe you can't track the 03 without a full roll bar but that subject is an old issue.

One thing I learned was that you pick up a lot of gooy rubber on your tires. It was a rough ride home with all the vibration it caused. I tried scraping the rubber off but that was a futile effort. So,I took the cars to a large school parking lot nearby, did a few circles each direction, launched a couple of times and got rid of most of the rubber that was stuck to the tires.

I was amazed at how much better the 03 handled, especially the braking.

Now the questions. After doing this with the 03 I now have a "whirring" sound at idle. As I increase the rpm's it seems to go away. Any ideas on what this is? Did I do something I should not have done? I have read a few posts about the oil pump not being able to properly pick up the oil while tracking. I tracked the car two times for 20 minutes each. Is this something I should not do without rectifying the oil pick up problem?

Should I now change the brake fluid? It has never been done to date.

One more question. After entering the paddock we shut the cars down and opened the hoods. The 96 puked a half quart of anti-freeze. Is this normal?Is it better to leave the cars running for a short period of time before shutting them down? The 03 didn't do this.

I don't have pictures to share that are whorthwhile. My wife doesn't zoom very well.

Sorry to sound like a novice but that is what I am.

It was a blast and better than looking at them in the garage. We will surely do this again.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang