First time at the track

vipergtspa

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So I decided to take the viper to the track for opening day and finally made up my mind to race it a few times but take it easy. When I ran it I did not want to launch hard so just eased into it in first then floored it when I hit second and came up with a 12.6 1/4 at 112mph with 1.9 60ft and I was wondering if this would be a normal 1/4 time for a stock 2000 gts aside from a K&N intake kit, I have read that my car should run around a 12.2 1/4 but not sure so I figured I would ask.

Thanks Jeff

OP
OP
V

vipergtspa

Viper Owner
Reaction score
time sounds average for us non track guys. but MPH is LOW

I thought the mph seemed low aswell, in my old car I did 12.7 at 118mph wonder why its so low and I am sure if I did a burnout and launched hard in first gear I could pull a better time but I just wanted to take it easy for the first time with the viper.

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
12.2 is the best I have been able to do having gone 3-4 times. MPH was 116-118 (97GTS). 12.6 is great for your first time in the car.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've drag raced a few times. I think my best time in a 98 RT/10 was about 12.2 with a 117 or so trap speed. There is a lot of finesse required to run the car at its highest potential. My old stock RT/10 was capable of a better time; just not with me driving it. Several folks on this site have the skill and experience to run great times but most don't. Most folks simply don't have enough seat time at the drag strip.

On the other hand I found drag racing a bit too slow. 12 seconds of fun and then 45 minutes waiting for the next run. That's why I go to road courses now. The only time that wasn't true was when the NJ Region hosted the Zone meeting at Englishtown. At that event you could run as often as you liked. One time I did 27 passes. I could have done more but figured the car needed a rest.

OP
OP
V

vipergtspa

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Did you run at PRP?

Yes and good to know that my time was not to bad for my first time with the viper, its alot different then what I am used to being that all my old cars that I took racing where awd or fwd.

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes and good to know that my time was not to bad for my first time with the viper, its alot different then what I am used to being that all my old cars that I took racing where awd or fwd.

For comparison, my first time down a drag strip EVER in a car was in my viper. It was in Columbus at a V-10 National probably 6 years ago. I ran a 12.1 with a stock viper except for exhaust. I can't remember the mph though.

Was the track in good condition? I haven't ran there in a long time.

sdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ran 12.2 at 117 my second pass first time out in my 96 GTS. Tubes and filers only. That was my best pass of 13 that day. Road and Track road test for my car was 12.8 and 116 in 1996, but they don't do these on a prepped track.

High flow cats, Borla cat back and Hoosier drag radials have since gotten me into the high 11's. .2 seconds for $2500 additional invested is lousy payback, but the mods thing is a slippery slope. I have since added a VEC III, MT ET Steet drag radials and poly motor and transmission mounts for another $2000. I am hoping this gets me another .2 next time I go to the strip. That will be a lousy payback also.

OP
OP
V

vipergtspa

Viper Owner
Reaction score
For comparison, my first time down a drag strip EVER in a car was in my viper. It was in Columbus at a V-10 National probably 6 years ago. I ran a 12.1 with a stock viper except for exhaust. I can't remember the mph though.

Was the track in good condition? I haven't ran there in a long time.

The track was not to bad could have been a little better.

OP
OP
V

vipergtspa

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think next time I go to the track I will push the car a little harder, like I said no burn out and no hard launch in first gear so I know the car can get better times I was just nervous taking the viper and racing but now that I got that out of my system I will feel better about lauching it harder. Looks like I need to shoot for a 12.2 1/4 thats seems to be the times most people are getting.

OP
OP
V

vipergtspa

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just wondering what is the best way to launch these cars like should I rev up at the line or just floor it.

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I found these for you on PRP website.

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
V

vipergtspa

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I found these for you on PRP website.

In this picture my wife told me that the announcer said when me and the mustang pulled up that it was the nicest car there vs the ugliest car there :lmao:

Last edited:

BigBadViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just wondering what is the best way to launch these cars like should I rev up at the line or just floor it.

What kind of tires do you have? How much do you warm the tires up? Stock HP? Are you spinning through any of the gears?

I launch mine around 4200 but I am using launch control and launching around 10lbs of boost as well.

OP
OP
V

vipergtspa

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What kind of tires do you have? How much do you warm the tires up? Stock HP? Are you spinning through any of the gears?

I launch mine around 4200 but I am using launch control and launching around 10lbs of boost as well.

ps2 and I do a quick burn out just to get the water off, just have a k&n intake other then that its stock, no wheel spin in any gear.

sdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I launch at 3000-3500, but don't just dump the clutch. I normally drive around the water and back into it before doing a mild burnout. The front tires dripping water in front of the rear ones is not great for traction.

OP
OP
V

vipergtspa

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I launch at 3000-3500, but don't just dump the clutch. I normally drive around the water and back into it before doing a mild burnout. The front tires dripping water in front of the rear ones is not great for traction.

Thanks for the info, next time I go to the track I will try a harder launch and rev it up maybe around 3000rpm.

OP
OP
V

vipergtspa

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I decided to post on one of my old threads because I ran into the same issue at the drag strip.

Well being that I have owned the car now for a few years and feel much more at ease with the it, I decided to take her back to the track with some friends last night. I ended up launching much harder this time around with little in return and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction to why my trap speeds are so low in comparison to most other vipers ?

Here is the info from my best run of the night
60FT-1.8665
330FT-5.3452
1/8ET-8.1636
1/8MPH-88.17
1000ET-10.5355
1000MPH-102.53
1/4ET-12.5403
1/4MPH-111.50

All runs where on PS2 and weather was in the 80's, any help or input to what is wrong with my driving or the car would be great appreciated.

Thanks
Jeff

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One trick people do for higher traps is (shallow stage), or higher ET (deep stage). GOOGLE "Deep Stage" and "Shallow Stage".

ALSO, elevation makes a big difference.... higher altitude = less air for combustion.

The best time anyone has gone in a stock GTS was 11.7 I believe (really good driver with many passes I believe)... You're in the 12's so at least it's not too embarrassing. I'll copy pasts my notes to maybe give you some ideas. I'm not the best drag racer and my car isn't stock, but some folks seem to have benefited from a few of my notes. I'm sure a few people get tired of me posting them but oh well... nobody else seems to post much so figured it may help you out.

My first Viper, 94' RT/10, had exhaust and K&N's and I went 12.1 @ 115 on bald tires. I slipped the clutch really bad in order to get out of the hole without spinning and in netted some good 12 second runs. Not sure if I damaged my clutch doing that, since my clutch went out a few years later, but it was probably the stock clutch on 75,000 miles so may have just been it's time to go. But, point is... getting out of the hole is the key to a good run. Learn to launch and ET's will drop.

Notes from my GTS passes:

Not an ideal time to go to the drag strip... We all know HEAT is the enemy when it comes to racing or trying to reach a speed goal. It was 105 degrees when we left the house in Austin and 105 on the highway before we pulled into the track at San Antonio Raceway. A friend of mine said his girlfriends car
You must be registered for see images attach
, out in the parking lot in Austin, read 111 about the same time we left to go to the track. My goal originally had been for a high 11 because this car felt faster than my RT/10 that ran a 12.1, but ideally with this heat, I was more expectant of a low 12 second pass if things went well...

However... Viper came though!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are the details for any of you interested or wanting to know more about my setup.

When I installed my Eibach Springs a few months back, I adjusted my shocks. My shock adjustment settings are as follows... First tighten the shock at full tight (clockwise).... then backed off to:

Front - 1 full turn back off

Rear - 1/2 turn back off

I had my rear tires
" 345's - BFG G-Force Drag Radials" on 18" HRE's, at 22lbs of pressure. There was ZERO tread, so only sticky flat surface left, which is good... BUT, I BARELY had any tire left in the rear at all and needed to make sure I could make it back home (about an hour drive) so I couldn't go ALL OUT with burnouts. I think smoking the tires would have netted me better results but I just couldn't do it. I basically went around the water box as much as possible and did a few clutch dumps to dry the tires off. I tried to launch around 4000RPM's and since I was on drag radials, I could pretty much get into the gas fairly quick off the line.

For my shift points, I upped my shift light to 5700RPM because the Dyno showed some power left at the top (my RT/10, was set at 5200, so trying another shift point in this car).

I didn't really ride the clutch out this time, like I did with my RT/10, so after the launch, it was gear bangin time!

Results - VIDEO Below:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=IuYkULeO1zE

I'll try to post a video soon. Here is the info below from tonight at the drag strip. I'll mention my mods, in case folks find this post in the future doing drag race searches on here, and my mods in my sig change in the future. I'll also list other important data for folks interested in specific details, like me. I did not do a "full", smokey burnout... Only a quick high rev and then dump the clutch to spin the tires HARD and get the water off my tires.

Mods for this pass are as follows:
98' GTS with 01' "Creampuff" motor swap
A.R.T. Dyno puts my car
at 455HP / 499TQ (I actually lost a few HP after installing the roller rockers. Before the after market RR's, was 461HP / 507TQ)
SVT "Race" Headers
No Cats
Side Borla mufflers (no rear mufflers)
Eibach springs & Lowering caps
Raptor shift light
Aluminum Fly wheel
A.R.T - SCT Tune (93 octane pump gas)
Harland Sharp Roller Rockers 1.7 (got these used, not brand new)
K&N filters
Smooth Tubes
BFG Drag Radials 345/35/18
Removed spare tire & Jack

Track temp - 70 degrees.
Approx 700ft elevation in San Antonio TX
Car weight, with driver included, on track scale - 3,485.
60' 1.76
1/8 - 7.39 @ 97.74
1000 ET 9.5
1/4 mile - 11.35 @ 125.00

I'm VERY Happy with this time, considering the few mods I have. I was hoping to get closer to a 10 sec pass, and feel like I could have done a little better, but I didn't get many runs in and didn'd have enough tire to do GOOD burnouts (as usual, lol)).... Other two passes were 12.1 @ 108 (eh... blew the tires off, at the launch), and 11.7 @122 (spinning hard in each gear, had to let off the gas, temp was 65 degrees at this point). This should have been a GOOD ET because it was getting cooler out car was moving FAST, but just had no traction).

Had a blast tonoght! Hope this info helps you guys out!

OP
OP
V

vipergtspa

Viper Owner
Reaction score
One trick people do for higher traps is (shallow stage), or higher ET (deep stage). GOOGLE "Deep Stage" and "Shallow Stage".

ALSO, elevation makes a big difference.... higher altitude = less air for combustion.

The best time anyone has gone in a stock GTS was 11.7 I believe (really good driver with many passes I believe)... You're in the 12's so at least it's not too embarrassing. I'll copy pasts my notes to maybe give you some ideas. I'm not the best drag racer and my car isn't stock, but some folks seem to have benefited from a few of my notes. I'm sure a few people get tired of me posting them but oh well... nobody else seems to post much so figured it may help you out.

My first Viper, 94' RT/10, had exhaust and K&N's and I went 12.1 @ 115 on bald tires. I slipped the clutch really bad in order to get out of the hole without spinning and in netted some good 12 second runs. Not sure if I damaged my clutch doing that, since my clutch went out a few years later, but it was probably the stock clutch on 75,000 miles so may have just been it's time to go. But, point is... getting out of the hole is the key to a good run. Learn to launch and ET's will drop.

Notes from my GTS passes:

Not an ideal time to go to the drag strip... We all know HEAT is the enemy when it comes to racing or trying to reach a speed goal. It was 105 degrees when we left the house in Austin and 105 on the highway before we pulled into the track at San Antonio Raceway. A friend of mine said his girlfriends car
, out in the parking lot in Austin, read 111 about the same time we left to go to the track. My goal originally had been for a high 11 because this car felt faster than my RT/10 that ran a 12.1, but ideally with this heat, I was more expectant of a low 12 second pass if things went well...

However... Viper came though!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are the details for any of you interested or wanting to know more about my setup.

When I installed my Eibach Springs a few months back, I adjusted my shocks. My shock adjustment settings are as follows... First tighten the shock at full tight (clockwise).... then backed off to:

Front - 1 full turn back off

Rear - 1/2 turn back off

I had my rear tires
" 345's - BFG G-Force Drag Radials" on 18" HRE's, at 22lbs of pressure. There was ZERO tread, so only sticky flat surface left, which is good... BUT, I BARELY had any tire left in the rear at all and needed to make sure I could make it back home (about an hour drive) so I couldn't go ALL OUT with burnouts. I think smoking the tires would have netted me better results but I just couldn't do it. I basically went around the water box as much as possible and did a few clutch dumps to dry the tires off. I tried to launch around 4000RPM's and since I was on drag radials, I could pretty much get into the gas fairly quick off the line.

For my shift points, I upped my shift light to 5700RPM because the Dyno showed some power left at the top (my RT/10, was set at 5200, so trying another shift point in this car).

I didn't really ride the clutch out this time, like I did with my RT/10, so after the launch, it was gear bangin time!

Results - VIDEO Below:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=IuYkULeO1zE

I'll try to post a video soon. Here is the info below from tonight at the drag strip. I'll mention my mods, in case folks find this post in the future doing drag race searches on here, and my mods in my sig change in the future. I'll also list other important data for folks interested in specific details, like me. I did not do a "full", smokey burnout... Only a quick high rev and then dump the clutch to spin the tires HARD and get the water off my tires.

Mods for this pass are as follows:
98' GTS with 01' "Creampuff" motor swap
A.R.T. Dyno puts my car
at 455HP / 499TQ (I actually lost a few HP after installing the roller rockers. Before the after market RR's, was 461HP / 507TQ)
SVT "Race" Headers
No Cats
Side Borla mufflers (no rear mufflers)
Eibach springs & Lowering caps
Raptor shift light
Aluminum Fly wheel
A.R.T - SCT Tune (93 octane pump gas)
Harland Sharp Roller Rockers 1.7 (got these used, not brand new)
K&N filters
Smooth Tubes
BFG Drag Radials 345/35/18
Removed spare tire & Jack

Track temp - 70 degrees.
Approx 700ft elevation in San Antonio TX
Car weight, with driver included, on track scale - 3,485.
60' 1.76
1/8 - 7.39 @ 97.74
1000 ET 9.5
1/4 mile - 11.35 @ 125.00

I'm VERY Happy with this time, considering the few mods I have. I was hoping to get closer to a 10 sec pass, and feel like I could have done a little better, but I didn't get many runs in and didn'd have enough tire to do GOOD burnouts (as usual, lol)).... Other two passes were 12.1 @ 108 (eh... blew the tires off, at the launch), and 11.7 @122 (spinning hard in each gear, had to let off the gas, temp was 65 degrees at this point). This should have been a GOOD ET because it was getting cooler out car was moving FAST, but just had no traction).

Had a blast tonoght! Hope this info helps you guys out!

Thank you Frog!!!

I was able to read your info in a prior post and it did help me a lot with launching(great info for drag racing a viper) last night, that was the main reason I was kind of confused about my traps.

My ET was not changing more then 1 MPH difference no matter what the rest of the run was like, 2.2, 2.1, or 1.8 60FT barely changed it. Maybe I would get a 1/2 MPH faster with a better launch and 60FT time, like with a 2.1 60FT I would trap at 111MPH then with a 1.8 60FT it would increase to 111.5MPH.

Looking back at all of my time slips I know there is room for me to improve but I feel like there may be an issue as well with the car. I would think with much better 60FT times I should be seeing much higher ET and its not happing. If there would be an issue with the car where should I start to look ?

Thanks again
Jeff

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, San Antonio is about 700' above sea level and it looks like PA is about 700 feet at the river, about 1000 feet on Mount Washington or the University of Pittsburgh area (according to Wiki). So no super high elevation...

You might want to get your car on the dyno to see what kind of power it's putting down. I believe around 425HP is about average for filters, smooth tubes and exhaust. 455ish, with headers, mostly all bolt-ons, etc... A dyno will tell you if you are in the ball park or if there is something really wrong with your car.

Track prep is also a concern for good runs at the track. You are on street tires, so you are somewhat limited about prep no matter what... but can still be somewhat of an issue if not prepped at all.

If your car is putting down good power then I guess it's just gonna take some practice. I spent many years practicing practicing practicing with an old "G-Tech" on a road with hardly any traffic, making pass after pass, trying to get down my launches in Mustangs and other cars. I always told people... get down your launches on the street and you'll shine at the track! I still think this is true, if there is a street for you to practice on. If you watch my video above... you'll see me "blip" the throttle a time or two sneaking in a little practice launch before the starting line. I'm really trying to get a feel for the monster before I unleash it if you will.... I think it kind of ****** the track guys off if I do it too much but none of them ever told me anything.

In this video below, you can see me driving my friends (mild cam, intake, etc... on 20" wheels) C4 Z06 at San Antonio Raceway on street tires. His car put down 420HP to the wheels. I have only driven this car once or twice on the street and this was my first time at the track in his car. I'm the one driving at 3:22 (he was driving all the other times). Notice I do a little "blip" again to test the car's launch / grip before the run but I still got a louzy hole shot...(bogged out of the hole, should have kept the RPM's up). Anyhow, If you compare my driving to his, I am a bit more aggressive and actually had to let off the throttle because the car started going sideways at 1-2 shift. As I watch / listen to his passes, he is a bit more "tame" in his 1-2 shift. I ran a 12.8 @ 114. His best was 12.7 @ 113 but he did also run a 12.8 @ 114. So we were basically identical in our times and he was very consistent. I think that if I had let the car cool down more and was able to "learn" the car a bit, I could have knocked a few tenths off with the aggressiveness and nailing down the shifts / traction that day. I'm not trying to brag at all, he got a better ET than me... but he just wasn't very "aggressive" and it didn't seem there was any room for him to grow or learn, being as consistent as he was. "Ranger", who is a really good drag racer, put a bone stock C5 Z06 down the strip at 11.8 I believe it was. This car I was driving has really tall wheels with little rubber so I'm sure it didn't help our 1/4 mile times but it also put down 420HP (stock C5 Z's dyno around 360HP to the wheels) so why weren't we seeing anything close to Ranger's 11.8sec when this car puts down 60more Horsepower than the one Ranger drove? Well, there are many variables, but I would say the main thing is practice! The car had alot more potential if I could get it out of the hole stronger and get the 60' down, then nail those shifts. An interesting note about this is remember, I drove my Viper 1 hour to the track from Austin to San Antonio. I made a few passes in my Viper and was used to driving my Viper. Then, all of the sudden, I get in my friends Z06... totally not used to the clutch, the shifter, tranny, etc... like my first time ever being in the car and I get NO practice runs... I go and basically run the exact same as him and he drives his car DAILY and had a few practice runs before me.... So, sometimes you just gotta be aggressive and hit it hard but improving does not come without practicing over and over... Nothing all that crazy to watch... but does have a few more of my Viper runs as well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smDGb9Mcl78

OP
OP
V

vipergtspa

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks again Frog!!!

That is a great idea, I will see about going to a dyno shop to see what the horse power is.

I could not agree more about the seat time. This was only my second time at the track with this car, how ever I had a ton of runs last night (around 20) it was so empty that I had to park the car for breaks because if I wanted to I could have kept going over and over again lol. After the first 3 runs(13.0/12.8/12.7) which I missed 3rd on one and figured out how to launch good with ok 60 FT times, I was at least running pretty consistent times of 12.5/12.6 all night. I also had pretty good traction with my PS2, launching around 3500 RPM any higher would start to give me a little wheel hop.

The car has the K&N intake kit and muffler delete, tires had 28psi cold.

Thanks
Jeff

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave