First time at the track

OP
OP
V

vipergtspa

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Also on the one run which I launched around 4000 RPM and got some wheel hop I heard some kind of clunking noise in the rear, which freaked me out. But after letting the car sit I never heard it again, even after more passes and the 45 minute drive home.

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cool! One thing I might would consider... if you can get a G-Tech Pro and find a stretch of road for practice, you can practice your launches and your 0-60. Once you get better at your 0-60, then take it to the track, and hit it hard.

ooops. I forgot you are only running 1/8th mile.... I was thinking that 20 passes is alot of punishment on your car for 1/4 mile time trials. Heck, now that I think about it.... with that short track, you can always work on your 60' and let out mid way down the track, not to put any more wear and tear on your car. If you aren't getting any better with your 60' then no reason to keep bangin gears to the end, if your focus is bettering your 60.

Oh, one thing I forgot to mention!!!!!!!!!!! I usually wipe the REAR tires down with a dry towel or with my hands (with a pair of work gloves on). The reason is....... I pick up HUNDREDS of pebbles in the return lane after finishing the 1/4 mile. So wiping those pebbles off helped me get alot more traction on the next pass, since I never did standing / ******** burnouts. The sticky VHT causes the pebbles to stick pretty bad so see if your rear tires are covered with them too! Good luck!

OP
OP
V

vipergtspa

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Cool! One thing I might would consider... if you can get a G-Tech Pro and find a stretch of road for practice, you can practice your launches and your 0-60. Once you get better at your 0-60, then take it to the track, and hit it hard.

ooops. I forgot you are only running 1/8th mile.... I was thinking that 20 passes is alot of punishment on your car for 1/4 mile time trials. Heck, now that I think about it.... with that short track, you can always work on your 60' and let out mid way down the track, not to put any more wear and tear on your car. If you aren't getting any better with your 60' then no reason to keep bangin gears to the end, if your focus is bettering your 60.

Oh, one thing I forgot to mention!!!!!!!!!!! I usually wipe the REAR tires down with a dry towel or with my hands (with a pair of work gloves on). The reason is....... I pick up HUNDREDS of pebbles in the return lane after finishing the 1/4 mile. So wiping those pebbles off helped me get alot more traction on the next pass, since I never did standing / ******** burnouts. The sticky VHT causes the pebbles to stick pretty bad so see if your rear tires are covered with them too! Good luck!

1/4 mile track was what I was running.

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok cool. Sorry, I have been on hydracodode from foot surgery and was on another thread about 1/8 mile... got them confused. Your car can probably take the abuse but just something to consider if you have a location to practice launching. Heck, there are a ton of Iphone apps and smart phone apps that use the accelerometer just like a G-Tech for FREE. Just mount your phone securely, calibrate the g-force app and go play! Search your phone for app's like "Dynolicious", "G-tach" is a free app!

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is my favorite G-Tech... the original. I never used one of the newer models. This is how I learned how to drive. Had a stretch of road just like these guys. It flashes when you hit your 0-60 and you can stop running to compare at that point, or keep running and it will go to the 1/4 mile. The newer ones have 1/8th mile and 60' capabilities I think, but the same basics apply... work on 0-60 and when you are ready, hit the track. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d587oLYtS0

Here's the new model G-Tech. Cool video! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ly5bGvYzOM