First time roadracing with the Viper!!

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just wanted to say that I am no longer a poser, I got to use my 5pt harness today @ Pocono. It was my first time out with the Viper and boy this car is hard to drive a full speed. I managed to get one wheel off of the track in my 3rd and last session :p I was running time trials so no cones out there to guide my dumb a$$. I ran on stock pilots with 30 lbs in rear and 32 in front, is that a good setup? What works best with you guys? I was really surprised on how well the Stop Tech stage II setup with brakeman pads and fluid preformed :) I cant wait to get out there and do it again, that was a blast :D

McGuireV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Isn't it great? My first time *solo* was this past May (previously I'd been out with instructors). I think it might be the most addicting thing I've ever encountered.

I personally like 30lbs front & rear, but I think most folks run a higher pressure up front to help with steering, as you've done.

Was that your first time ever, or have you roadraced other vehicles?

ElDiablo Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I run 30psi front and 28psi back. I found that I get a lot more traction at 28 plus I get to use the whole tire.

DanElam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike, congrats! Next time you are at the track find someone with a tire pyrometer. We've learned it is the only way to determine what you need for tire pressures.

Did you run with PDA? Several of my friends with Cobras were running there this weekend I think.

OP
OP
M

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've road raced with the Vette before, and even thought I turned off the tc and didnt have active handling it was still alot easier to drive.

Dan, I forgot the group I ran with, I know it wasnt pda thought. What is a pyrometer anyways :confused: Thanx.

Adam I should have called you about tire pressures, I didnt know who to ask over there. Maybe next time ;)

jrkermode

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your tire pressures sound pretty close. Pressures will vary a little bit depedning on your driving style and depending on which track you are running.

A pyrometer is a needle-like gizmo used to measure the temperature of the tire just below the surface of the tread. By looking at the temps across the tire, you can tell if the tire is working evenly across its surface. A quick and dirty way to check tire pressure is by looking at the shoulder of the tire. There is a little Michelin Man molded into the tire all around the edge of the tread. You want to adjust the pressure up or down until the tire is rolling over just enough to wipe out the Michelin Man's head.

P.S. A 1/4 mile, autocross or even posing is fun, but a Viper's natural habitat is a road course.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Were you feeling ANY vibration in the steering wheel at higher speeds? Even a little bit.... If so, go to a top notch, high-speed tire balancer (dual plane). I believe they use Hunter machines. Having your wheels balanced perfectly makes a world of difference, IMO. Especially at higher speeds. Your Viper will seem more stable and easier to drive. Seems to track straigher when braking hard... I know it sounds too easy, but I can't believe the difference it made.....

Later

OP
OP
M

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what day is that John? I really dont like that N course too much. rather run the long course :)