Fixed my cracked center console

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Y2K5SRT, you have got to be kidding....I really don't know how to even begin to respond to your post.

I don't bait anybody here at VCA, nobody. Just the opposite.

VCA has gotten alot of emails from me asking you to post into the illustrateds all the time. I do it to help us all. Im not baiting you, I offer up Illustrateds that I do myself all the time, amd I ask others to write up their good works all the time as well. Not for me, not for you, but for the good use of everybody here at VCA. If your stretched thin, try to figure out who might just be able to help out and ask them too.

I work damn hard (as does everybody that takes the time to read and write on this forum) to help get the new tuning section off the ground. You didn't give me anything that you didnt give the whole VCA community. Never intended to make more work for you folks.

I get it now, thanks for putting it in focus..

Well, as long as you get it, let me chime in too as one of the guys who labor here. Till 5:30 am booting this new version up with Chris on the phone for example. So I'm also a bit miffed by your post. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY has been ignored here when they made an intelligent suggestion as to something that needed to be changed or added here lately. You would have to be blind and have 8 thumbs when you type not to notice the light year incremental changes that have occured almost weekly here. As a guy interested in this you can be of ENORMOUS service by ADVISING us when we need to move threads in there, but no, you want to do it all yourself, not neccessary and we would have to enable you as a full administrator to do that, sorry, ain't gonna happen, don't know you well enough, no insult intended. It's nice that you want to do it but the difference between you just emailing us or p'ming us when you see something of value is that we would have to hand you the BIG wand to do it, you know, the one if you wake up in the morning in a bad mood you just log on and delete the whole board with ALL it's history. Not gonna happen.
Now that I got that off my chest, why not step up in a POSITIVE way as an advisor, WATCH the board for threads like this, pm us, and we would go along with you, you DO seem to have really good sense in recognizing value in this area. We have a small army of guys doing just this with other stuff these days, they don't have wands but they contribute. We would welcome your contribution also. PM either me or Chris if you are interested. And if all this was not explained when you first contacted us I apologize, we have been BEYOND busy just keeping up with the quality improvements around here.

Last edited:

swissboy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i am just on the job on my 01 rt. mine is also cracked, along the writing.

just wanted to notice that my center console looks different underneath, i dont have all the reinforcement strips like we can see on the pictures from "02 Graphite GTS".

thanks to him the hole job (without the wood thing..) is a piece of cake... great job. :2tu:

patrick

OP
OP

02 Graphite GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, it took a lot longer than I thought it would take.....but I finally got a center console support wedge designed and made !!!!!

Take a look at the following. (They can be purchased through VCA sponsor www.DavesBigBrakes.com Click on Lance's viper shop)

CENTER CONSOLE SUPPORT WEDGE​

The center console for the Gen 1 and Gen 2 cars are notorious for getting cracked due to insufficient support. We have a simple and effective way to support the center console and greatly reduce the chances of cracking the center console.

You must be registered for see images attach

1: Remove the shift knob
2: Remove the ash tray.
3: Turn all AC controls horizontal.

4: Remove the stereo face frame by carefully popping the metal clips from the slots.
See the picture below which shows where the clips are located. (A small screwdriver
can be used to help pop them out.)

I found that it was easiest to pop the lower clip first, then pop the two clips above the stereo, then the two clips adjacent to the climate controls

5: Unplug the electric window, defrost and lighter connectors.
6: Remove the 2 phillips screws that attach the forward end of the console

7: Remove the 2 phillips screws that attach the rear portion of the console (Slide both
seats all the way back and fully recline them to gain easy access to the screws
8: Carefully lift the center console out.
9: Remove the 4 rubber pads and screws.

10: Set the support wedge in the console and attach with the screws supplied.
Do not overtighten !

11: Reinstall the center console.

Kenneth Krieger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had the same problem with my previous (94 RT-10) Viper, and I used the "hard" shipping foam for the application to the underside of the console......worked perfect and was very easy to mold to the "frame" of the console cover by just pressing against the undulations and then trimming with a dremmel tool. Very simple to do, and very effective. Just another application FYI.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did the same not too long ago except I used a RotoZip. I love my RotoZip, I'm always trying to find something shape, cut or destroy with it. :)