Fixes cat Check Engine Light? Kat-Box

Kevin ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm a little confused over the dual pre cat and single, and whether they work on our car. However, if it does the price is right. If someone is on the verge of trying them please do and post the results. Would be nice to find something that wasn't already marked up for the Viper market.

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hi JMcG,

When you gonna stop by and show us the new ride?
smile.gif

In order to shed a little more light on the subject:

- 1992 through 1997 Vipers can remove cats (for off road purposes) without getting a check engine light due to cat removal and it will not affect the engine tuning.

- 1998 and newer will set a check engine light when cats are removed (so far, I haven't heard any getting a check engine light with higher flow cats). They will also go into "safe" mode and run the car richer, prompting you to take it in for service.

- 2000 and newer have a more sensitive upstream oxygen sensor heater monitor (how fast the sensor comes up to temp) and can set a code when headers are installed that place the O2 sensor fitting too far downstream of the collector, where it does not heat up as fast.

Honestly, if you're not going to be doing track events with the car very often, just go with higher flow cats. There are a few good ones available. Just make sure there is a good substrate retention system inside that allows room for expansion and movement. The solid ones will crack sooner on a Viper.

If you have headers on a '00 or '01 and are getting the O2 heater code, just move the sensor farther upstream, or have them ceramic coated inside and out, so the sensor heats up faster.

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Heck, I'm here just about every day, including Saturday and Sunday. I just don't usually have the doors open on the weekends. Give us a call sometime before you come by.

If you do come by today, try and do so before 4:00. Becky and I have to drive up to South Carolina to pickup Randy from the Citadel. We enrolled him in the summer camp there and he gets out Saturday. Didn't want him to grow up to become one of those smack talking punks
smile.gif

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte