Flashing CEL

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was doing some long 4th/5th gear WOT pulls on my new 2.8H ROE setup and had something that has never happend before pop up. When I was really into the boost/RPM/MPH, the Check Engine Light (CEL) started flashing. When I let off and got back to normal speeds, it went away. Get into boost and RPM in 4th/5th..the CEL started flashing again. And then it went away back to normal when I got back down to normal speeds. Just wondering why? I'm used to seeing the usual misfire CEL from time to time, but not a CEL that flashes and then goes away. As far as I could tell, I had to be into the 130+ MPH before it started to flash. But then again I'm kinda focusing on driving as well so its hard to really nail down the speed. I haven't put an ODB reader on to see if anything has been stored, but just never had that happen before (although I rarely get to run it up in 5th gear that long at 13 PSI). Also, those damn'd Belanger mid pipe connectors started to leak again after those hard pulls. Hate those 2/3 into one connectiors. No other unusual symptoms or anything. Car runs great!

Garron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
cat damaging misfire will cause the light to flash.

AndyMac

Enthusiast
Reaction score
cat damaging misfire will cause the light to flash.

Yeap, that is the tree-hugging OBD2 engineers at work. The CEL will flash when the car is misfiring and causing damage to the catalytic converters. (due to the unburnt fuel entering the exhaust)

Maybe you're blowing out the spark under high load and high boost of the new setup?

99VPRGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What the above two guys said. Typically, the flashing light will mean the cats are crying, or you are having an "active" misfire. Does the light flash in a 1, 2, or 3rd gear pull? What kind of plug are you running?

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
get rid of those cats. especially with the kind of boost and power you are pushing.

OP
OP
E

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No cats. Might be blowing out spark. Running 2 step colder Autolites @ .030 gap...plus a good shot of W/M as well. Engine doesn't seem to be falling off, but I think I could add some timing back in. If I recall... I'm pulling about 10 or 11 degrees at 13 PSI @ 5500 for a total delevered at just over 20 degrees at redline. It does get down the road in a hurry I must say...

99VPRGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd start with a little timing since that is something you can do quick. If that doesn't work, maybe play with the gaps. It's probably not a big problem because you are not falling off like you said. However, any time you have a misfire, it can always get worse so I would get it fixed and go WOT only to test.

OP
OP
E

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah...time to pull the plugs just to check on cylinder burn and all that jazz anyways. Been reading up on these sorts of things...not good to get the flashing CEL like I'm getting under normal circumstances. I suspect high boost spark issues knowing what I know about my set-up. Cold plugs and a tight gap just makes around-the-town driving sucky...but that's the trade off I suppose. SCT tune would probably help. More on that on other posts.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960