Flickering lights

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the explanation. Always nicer to be in the "know" than in the dark.

SteveT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Still waiting for TSB, must not be a BFD for DC...

Lights still flicker and drivers door exterior switch still works only when it feels like it.

Come on DC, if this was on the wife's Mercedes you would have been all over this with a fix and given me a latte in the comfy customer waiting lounge.

Assuming the fix ever occurs, any suggestions on where to have the work done in the D/FW area?

OutThere

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shhhhh Steve cause DC has already LISTENED TO YOU! They are hard at work and you will get your fix when they have the time to finish it!! keeping flickin the switch 20 times an hour and quit bitchin about it or we not not even have a Viper to buy!!

Just say "thank you" and drive on (hopefully not at night in your SRT).

I think Texas is where they've been testing the software fix... for 2 months.

gtsviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Out in CA we still have had no word about the fix. With the time change, this is an even more pressing problem. I have been asking about this since April....I know if someone gets hit because the lights are out that the priorities will shift.
Also, no one seems to be discutting the hesitation problem at WOT. Anyone know the status of this fix??

RC Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the SRT out the other night and the flickering light problem was gone!!!

Now the lights go out and stay out until you turn them on and off a few times.

This means I am no longer able to drive the car at night. This time a year that is about 12 hours a day. Think I can get a refund of half the purchase price?

OutThere

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What'd ya think Joe???? Care to step in here and send a message to DC that's not so flattering for a change?

Leonard Knight

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm normally pretty patient with problems on the car as evidenced by the 20 times or so my wifes BMW has been to the dealer but this flickering light problem does keep me from driving the car at night or when I think I can not get back before dark. I would think that such a safety issue would get faster reaction. I remember someone said before how a lawyer would have a field day if something happens to someone because of this. I would hate to see that. HELP!!!!!!

GTS Jeff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hope this helps

http://autorepair.about.com/library/recalls/bl-recalls-245a.htm

NHTSA Campaign ID: 03V388000
Component: Exterior Lighting: Headlights: Switch
Manufacturer: Daimler-Chrysler Corporation

Year:
2003 Make:
Dodge Model:
Viper Recall Date:
10/07/2003
Potential Number of Units Affected: 1,739
Manufactured:
Defect Summary:
On certain passenger vehicles, the multifunction switch park lamp contacts may corrode.
Consequence Summary:
This corrosion could cause the park lamps, headlamps and/or instrument panel lamps to flicker or become inoperative. This could affect driver visibility, increasing the risk of a crash.
Corrective Summary:
Dealers will reflash the software in the body control module. Owner notification is expected to begin during November 2003. Owners should contact Daimler Chrysler at 1-800-992-1997.

gtsviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am on the phone with DC now and not surprisingly, they are telling me there is no recall on my SRT. She has no information about the issue in her computer so it must not be a problem. Amazing.
The rep. gave me a file number documenting my call stating that my lights go off. If anything happens to me before I get notice of the recall, I'm counting on you guys to advise my estate that DC is on notice of my problem and was unable to provide information because THERE IS NO RECALL. :eek:

SMHOD

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This fix seems a little fishy to me. How can a software upgrade fix a hardware problem? They are saying that the contacts on the switch become corroded. It just does not make sense that a flash to a computer module would fix this problem.

Scott

cstegall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SMHOD,

I am one of the NTexas owners that has had the software flash done to the car. I have not had any problems with the lights since and mine were going completely out(and not coming back on...no matter what I did).
The recall will occur in November.

CStegall

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The computer flash makes sense. The BCM is always looking at the switch, if it 'sees' momentary contact, it thinks you want the lights off. The software is too sensitive to the slight corrosion, or bumpy surface on the metal contacts of the light switch. Telling the computer to ignore the reading for a second should fix the problem. Now....on to the bog!

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viperfreak - tried to send an email but I received the following message "Permanent error involving remote host.
550 This system has been configured to reject your mail"

Can't be my mails breath, I just brushed my teeth. Hmmm.

Let me know how to send you an email.

SMHOD

Viper Owner
Reaction score
CStegall,
Thanks for your feedback. I believe the software modification will fix the problem as has been your experience. If it is true that the contacts are corroded and the software is creating a lag to see if the contacts remain open, as Viperfreak2 suggests then the corrosion will get worse. I just do not believe they can fix corrosion, only ignore the signals generated by the corrosion. I hope the software fix will permanently solve this issue but if the true problem is the corrosion then it can only get worse in time and the software fix will be only temporary. Of course the best thing to do is to go with the flow and hope for the best. My dealer has not been even notified of the problem yet and he is waiting for the information on how to fix the problem. He did try to call the dealer from Texas mentioned on this board but was given the run around and got no information. Thanks to Viperfreak2 for also responding.

Scott

gtsviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well...I went to the dealer to get the fix downloaded and the Viper Tech said the TSB for the lights is not available. He has the one for the bog at WOT and a second one "to improve gas mileage" but not one for the light issue.
Any idea when this will be available? This is an accident waiting to happen. What's going on?

Y2K10 SRT#39

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joe-
Seems like the time on this is extensive. Perhaps a fix in "November" is not going to happen. (I'm glad I live where it RAINS all the time, because it's DARK here more than it's light!)
Can you give us a date WHEN this fix will be available at ALL dealers? (OR..have the lucky few already been notified?)
Thanks Joe!!
PBR

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper SRT - Don't know why you can't send me an E-mail, unless my LAN thinks you're SPAM! kidding. You can send me a PM?
I'm planning on a service visit next week, I hope Spartanburg Dodge is up to date on the TSBs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Callaghen