Flickering lights

kverges

Enthusiast
Reaction score
An odd and intermittent problem the other night arose: The lights on the car would randomly flicker. The headlights, instrument lights, everything went dark for just a second. This happened a few times and then quit. I could not get it to repeat over bumps or fiddling with the stalks going into the steering column.

Anyone have a similar experience? Any ideas?

cstegall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keith,

I have the same problem here.Just does it occasionally...gonna have K Laxson look at it next week when the Belanger system is installed...will send you an update.

CStegall

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Loose fuse? A bump should have reproduced it. Loose ground wire? Same thing. I hope mine don't do this at night. It would be another reason to get pulled over by the man.

RogerL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the same problem last night, first time I was out late. It arrears to the the switch not being "centered" or completely engaged. Fiddled with the position of the switch and got things to work just fine.

MiamiJeff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My headlights have also flickered off a few times though only for a fraction of a second. A couple of times it's happened right after turning them on; other times while driving.

OP
OP
K

kverges

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will fiddle with the switch, but just wiggling the stalk did not reliably reproduce the flicker; the only correlation I thought was there was when signalling lane changes the lights flickered, bute that was not reliably repeatable.

RogerL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do not believe it is the stalk itself, just the light switch on the end. I was able to "fix" the problem by making sure the switch was centered in the on position. As you will notice, the detents for the light switch are not as prominant as they could be. I do not seem to have the problem as long as the switch is full on. Not about to suggest this fiddling is acceptable but seems to get me by.

kenvw

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have the same problem. However my flicker like crazy and then they just don't work at times. So far for me I have had many bad experinces with my car (valve problem, diff blow out, dealer Negligence in fixing valves and diff.(more detail in future)puntcure marks on side mirrors, leak in my radiator hose and now the flickering lights. With all these problems car was in the shop for 3 months and I am still hanging in there with DC. Hopefully all these things will come to an end. My solution for most of my problems will be documented in another topic thread as I put all my findings under one story. To be continued .....

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So far for me I have had many bad experinces with my car ... puntcure marks on side mirrors, .....

Are you certain they are true *punctures* and not simply dimples from where the plastic was injected into the molds? I vaguely remember looking at my SRT for this problem when I had it and that was the closest thing I could find.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While we're on the light subject, anyone ever tried flipping the high beams on and off without the engine running? Stand outside the drivers door and listen. They CLUNK! BMW's have had the same bi-zenon system for years and they don't make much noise shifting from low to high beam. The SRT's sound like a wrench in a coffee can. If the lights flicker when you hit a bump, it's probably this same moving reflector that's a little loose.

MiamiJeff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When mine flicker (actually its the headlights and the instrument panel lights too), it never seems to be caused by any bumps in the road: Even happened a couple of times today while at red lights.

Wonder if there'll be a TSB on this one soon?

Leonard Knight

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess I spoke too soon. Went for a an early morning cruise today and my lights went out completely for about 2-5 seconds. Then flickered probably two more times during the drive. Seemed to do it when I used my right turn signal. Hope someone can pin it down. Not fun driving in the dark.

cstegall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keith,

Did you ever find out what the problem is with the lights? Took mine out this evening and it performed a light show that KISS would be proud of :(
Really bad experience. Was hoping Rich Carlson might chime in and let us know what we might do...don't really want to take it out at nite with the problem as bad as it is.

CStegall

cstegall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just heard from Keith Laxson(independent ViperTech in DFW)and was informed that Dodge was working on a fix...anybody have any other news?

CStegall

Reaction score
I also have intermittent lights. They have gone out for a few seconds and after turning on and of bright and dim they came back on but went on and off on their own. Not a good feeling on a dark road.

jwwiii

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello;

Yes! I happened for the first time last night, freaked me out. I have 3,500 miles on my SRT and have never had a problem until this.

I ried blipping repeatedly from low to high beams and the lights would be "dim" in-between clicks. It appeared that the "shutter" in the lens was sluggish.

I manually turned the lights off- then back on, and it seemed to cure it for the rest of my drive.

This is dangerous. Is there a TSB on this? Otherwise, anybody know how to fix it?

Thanks,
Jim

OP
OP
K

kverges

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am told PVO is aware of the problem and working on it. I fiddled with the turn signal stalk this morning early and coudl get the lights to cut out and stay out until I cycled them off & on again. I feel confident the turn signal stalk must be at least part of the culprit.

gtsviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My gauges also die when the lights go out. It's happened several times during the daylght also. If I turn the lights on and off they work again. PVO....we have problem here...

cstegall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keith,
Great news from PVO. I understand that they know what the problem is but are not able to release a fix at this time. As seen by the statements above...there are some cars out here that have the problem and it does not seem to be limited to any specific build date. Limits us to $80k day-drivers!
C'mon PVO...help us out here...I like to drive the car at nite :cool:

CStegall

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have only driven at night a few times, and not for long distance. Fortunately I have not experienced it. Fall is coming as with it comes night driving.

FANGS/Indiana

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I thought it was just me, was on my first long night drive the other night. We were on a road that required me to dim the lights a lot, about four times the lights went out for 2 or 3 seconds. Thats a scary feeling on a curvy back road! It seems that the detent is not strong enough to hold the switch when you move the stalk to do the other functions. I hope they do a fix soon cause it gets real dark in a hury when those great lights go out.

Hans Christian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I cannot understand why this isn't getting resolved much faster. As someone mentioned earlier - imagine the field day the lawyers will have on this one if somebody should crash during the dark hours. hmmmmmmmmmmm

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drock187