Flickering lights

cstegall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All fellow light flickerers...I got a pretty strong feeling that a fix is almost ready. Tests are going on now and I will keep everyone apprised of the results.

Hang in there. Help, and the fix, is on the way.

Clark

Jay Lopez

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The North Texas Viper Club area will start to see a test upgrade tomorrow (9/23). Hopefully, some of our club members with SRT-10s will post the results of the test.

cstegall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All,

I had my "flash fix" done this past weekend and have driven the car for two nights without any problems. No flickering,all lights worked for approximately 3 hours each evening. I will be getting a second "update" this week and will report results later in the week.

Clark

Toddh

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jay,

Is someone contacting North Texas Viper owners (like my dealer) to alert us to come in and check out the fix? I, too, have had this problem. The last time it was on the highway and was bad enough to make me reluctant to take the car out at night.

Jay Lopez

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It looks like you are not on our YahooGroup list. We sent out info about this yesterday. I'll send you an invitation to the Yahoogroup. For reference, this is the note that went out:

---------------

All,
Rich Carlson asked me to post this information for the local SRT-10 owners.

Rich has the country's first programmer for fixing the flickering headlight problem on the SRT-10. He is loaning it to 2 local dealerships. The special programmer will be available at:

1) Huffines Dodge, Sept 23rd (Tuesday, tomorrow!). Contact Tracy Braley at 972-434-2288.
2) Dallas Dodge, Sept 25th (Thursday). Contact Scott Spindle at 214-327-9361.

These 2 dealers will each have the special tool for one day only. If you can make it to either on the above day, it will take about 10 minutes to update your computer to fix the problem.

If you cannot make it to either dealer on the specified day, all dealers will have the tool starting in November. As well, Rich said he would attempt to bring the tool to the next Viper Club meeting and flash the computers in the parking lot.

Jay Lopez

cstegall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All,

I have had the "flash" fix now for about a week and the problem has not re-occurred in any form. All lights are working great and no flickering whatsoever. More testing this weekend.

CStegall

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Excellent news! Now I wonder if the "bog" is also a reflash issue. Would certainly make sense. Along those same lines, since the early Vipers didn't have the light problem, do the later Vipers have the bog problem or was that fixed in production?

Congrats on your fix and hope it continues to perform flawlessly!

cstegall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris...yep, it is great news. Hope all holds up. Looks like all cars may eventually get the flash for the lights. No word on whether it will affect the bog...I will check around.

CStegall

OP
OP
K

kverges

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My car seems fixed; the flash is to the BCM (body control module), not the PCM (powertrain control module), so the bog is a different animal.

cstegall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same here as Keith above. No light problem and my door opening sensitivity is higher(much easier to open from the outside). Pretty neat.
Now you are cooking PVO-DC. Get the fixes out into the owners hands and allow us to show you that all we want are cars that work.

CStegall

Y2KACR

VCA Member
Reaction score
My wife and I went out for dinner and a short drive last night and the flickering lights hit us for the first time. It happended with the high/low beam headlights and the instrument panel lights/gauges. It did not happen with the parking lights, turn signals and tail lights. It was very unnerving to say the least while driving on some of the curvy roads by our house. I hope they get the fix out to the rest of us soon.
Gary

cstegall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gary,

Might want to check locally but I imagine the fix will be available(possibly as a recall)sometime in November. The fixes we are getting here are literally a "test bed" for the problem. PVO needs to be sure that the fix works and most of us here were willing to be test cases.
It looks like the fix is working. Will keep all posted.

CStegall

riwracer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have driven my SRT for 900 miles and for the first time my lights have flickerred at night. This seems to be a dangerous problem, as noted before.
What is the most recent definitive fix?
I plan to take it to my Dodge dealer next week.
RIW

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Fix available real soon...

in the interim:

"If you turn the stalk on and off about 10 times", it'll clean the contacts and eliminate the problem (short term).

PVO has to go through the standard protocol to get the full fix out to the dealers, and notify all inflicted owners.

Cris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"inflicted owners"

Not sure this was a good choice of word.
Inflict: to cause or give wounds, pain, etc. by or as if striking. To impose a penalty.

Probably meant "affected owners." But, given the impact and speed of solution, inflicted may be more apprpriate.

normix

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi All!

I am picking up my new 2003 ST-10 this afternoon. I told the dealership about the flickering light issue but they claim there is no "bulletin" out about the issue for my VIN#, nor have they ever head of the problem

Does anyone know if Chrysler actually had put an official "bulletin" out about this problem?

THANKS!
Norm

MiamiJeff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was at my dealer earlier this week and they had no TSB info either. The twist on-off 10-20 times temporary fix is working fine for me.

I've got not electronics understanding but when I explained the idea to the Viper tech he explained to me something to the effect that the 10-20 twists works by temporarily discharging a capacitor (or something like this) until it charges back up again.

fluffy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got not electronics understanding but when I explained the idea to the Viper tech he explained to me something to the effect that the 10-20 twists works by temporarily discharging a capacitor (or something like this) until it charges back up again.

Let it suffice to say he's obviously not an electrician. :)

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I believe the twists "clean" the contacts that are part of the issue.

Bob Pommer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have noticed the same thing.. My headlights just 'Go off' I have to wiggle the stalk to get them to come back on .. i am going to get that fixed asap...

Dawg2Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had my first case of flickering headlights last night - at 1300 miles. Although my low beams shut off, the fog lamps worked. When I switched to high beams the lights came on again - then off again, etc. You guys are all correct - very dangerous, not to mention annoying.

I guess I can wait until a TSB comes out though. Anyone fixing this problem in Phoenix yet??

OutThere

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nothing being done. Everyone appears too busy trying to manufacture accounting statements.

cstegall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How's everybody's lights doin'? Mine have been doing great since the flash upgrade...no problems to report as of this date. Thanks PVO and Rich. Will keep everyone posted.

CStegall

OP
OP
K

kverges

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine are fine and here's my understanding of the reason for the flicker and fix:

The switch is designed to flow high current, and the contacts will self clean in those circumstances. Also all mechanical switches have some "bounce," that is the contacts can separate after initial contact for a millisecond or even less before the contacts come to rest touching and making solid contact.

Well the switch does not flow high current, it sends a low-current signal to the Body Control Module (BCM). The BCM takes the signal and then operates the headlights (it also does things like open the doors, operate the smartglass, and more). The BCM is so fast that it sees the contact bounce and actually turns the lights back off. I think the "dirty" contacts can accentualte the contact bounce, so the problem creeps in over time.

I understand that the new software compensates for the switch contact bounce and does other seamless things like make the doors open easier.

Someone else can correct me if I am wrong, but the entire fix is to reflash the BCM; we here in N Texas were the "beta" testers and it seems to work fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drock187