Florida cars seem a little scary...

Roadtrip

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was just cruising ebay. Is it me or are most used Vipers in FLA Salvage titles? I saw a coupe that the listing states minor damage, one of the pics showed the roof cracked so badly it could be lifted off (perhaps it's the elusive prototype targa).
The weird part is; It's listed as a clean title? After seeing this I doubt I'd ever feel safe buying any used car that was ever parked, visited or was sold in that state. I would think that stigma must hurt used car sales down there.

Mike

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Every state has different laws when it comes to the resale of a car.

If you need someone to look at a viper, just get in touch with the local club down there. I know we have some of the best members of our the club in the area.

Larry Macedo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently checked a few cars for out of town members and what I found wasn't pretty. The cars that small dealers were selling had damage that wasn't disclosed on the Ebay listing. Your almost better off dealing with a private party when buying a Viper.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
That auction stated that the Fire Department CUT the friggen roof off. (IDIOTS!!!) if you look at the accident, there was NO reason in hell they should have cut it off!!! (should be an easy fix though...just have frame tubes welded or replaced, and buy a new sidesill and roof section)

Vipermed 97.01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That auction stated that the Fire Department CUT the friggen roof off. (IDIOTS!!!) if you look at the accident, there was NO reason in hell they should have cut it off!!! (should be an easy fix though...just have frame tubes welded or replaced, and buy a new sidesill and roof section)
Before you start calling people "idiots" you should know the facts of the accident,no matter how minor it may appear in pictures you do not know the condition of the patient,after all the job of the fire dept.is to save lives first, property second,Sometimes the easiest way out for a patient without compromising C-spine injuries is straight up as it keeps the body in line.Look at the classifieds plenty of vipers for sale.not many people in wheelchairs or worst looking for them.You will have to exuse me for the flame but i think your being very harsh with the information you gather from a picture.And trust me if you decide to debate me on this issue you will loose!!!!!!sorry guys didnt mean to get off topic here

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently checked a few cars for out of town members and what I found wasn't pretty. The cars that small dealers were selling had damage that wasn't disclosed on the Ebay listing. Your almost better off dealing with a private party when buying a Viper.

That's what I did, I purchased my car from a private individual in Tampa, FL, and had no issues with salvage title, hidden damage, etc. - first though, I had the local Viper guys, Chuck, Gerald, and Antonio, go check it out for me :)

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
One thing that occurred to me when looking at how they chopped the roof off-

I'll bet they didn't know about the manual door release!

Of course, they could have other considerations, as has been said above. But that manual release just popped to mind first thing. Could be wrong, could be wrong..

Oddly enough, the manual door release has some parallel to my trade, in the elevator industry.

Often when someone gets stuck in an elevator, they begin to become irrational. Women, (and some types of men) frequently start screaming and crying, and still other men sometimes get threatening, or pound on the walls furiously, like they were dying for lack of oxygen. Fear of falling goes through their minds, as they remember all those Hollywood movies! (All this drama plays out while they are stuck in a box!) I've heard it all, during my career as an elevator contractor. So the building management thinks they are gonna get sued, and sometimes they call the fire dept first, and the elevator company secondly. If the fire dept shows up first, they break the elevator's doors down with machetes, axes, jaws of life, implements of destruction and/or gardening, and get the people out that way. This necessitates thousands of dollars of uneeded repairs.

One time, I got there just seconds after the fire dept had busted the doors all to h*ll, but they still couldn't get the passenger out, because the doors had fallen into the elevator shaft at an odd angle, and still obstructing the egress of the passenger. (and also endangering the passenger, because they could have fallen into the elevator, and landed on the occupant). While they were standing there wondering what to do, I showed up, (on my white stallion)(everybody clap now)(sounds of thundering applause)(no, DEAFENING applause), picked the remaining mechanical release that they had not broken yet for the good door, and got the person out with no stress or damage, in a few seconds. I was the hero of the fire dept that day! Its always funny to me, the damage the fire dept does trying to get the people out as quick as possible. Most of the time, there is no real emergency, (I have seen "0" real emergencies in my 17 years in this trade), just someone merely acting hysterical, and the building management also becoming hysterical, who then calls the fire dept, who then busts everything up vigorously, as if someone had a real emergency. Of course, they act with all good intentions, that is well understood.

I guess I only mentioned my experiences, because the Viper's manual door release has some parallel to my industry.

In deference to Scott, I'll add that my perspective on the fire dept possibly has no corollation to the Viper with the roof cut off. I just can't say that, because I don't know what was happening there. Just sharing a funny story. I'll crawl back into my hole now, and get back to my steady regimen of cookies and web surfing......call me if you need an essay on elevators.....

ceieio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just checked this auction... bid is at 45.6K... maybe more people should cut the top off of their car? Maybe someone thinks it is an RT/10 or SRT? I don't get it.

MichaelP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vic,

Considering the situation the USA is in now it might be helpful if you were to try and educate the fire departments in your area how to open an elevator faster and safer.

OP
OP
R

Roadtrip

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take a closer look at this car... I've seen, saws & jaws of life used on cars before, usually they look like pretzels before the firefighters get there.

This car has no damage at all, except the Passenger side sills. Stolen front badge, Roof & Windows (from firefighters?).

I like the puddle showing that they recently detailed their wrecked ACR, with the low mileage maybe it's never been titled (hence it's clean?).

It really looks like the guy drove under a tractor trailer.

Mike

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They HAVE to have friends that are bidding it up! There is no way that car is really bringing that kind of money!

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Vic,

Considering the situation the USA is in now it might be helpful if you were to try and educate the fire departments in your area how to open an elevator faster and safer.

An interesting issue!
If I show someone how to open an elevator door, and they open it when the elevator is not at that floor, or, open the wrong elevator shaft door while the elevator is in flight, and fall in the shaft and get injured or worse, it seems that opens me up to liability. If not, then it at least endangers the person who has the pick technique, but not the rest of the training to ensure the safety of the public, and their own safety.

Occasionally, some elevator techs DO teach the fire dept how to pick doors, and it sometimes creates other problems. For example, if a door is opened in a high rise building and the elevator stops, there is sometimes enough enertia to cause a safety set. It is possible to set the safties in a blank shaft! All told, the general consensus in our industry seems to be to let the fire dept and the elevator trade stay separate, in this regard. A long history of experience was extant before I got in. Sometimes the old ways are still the best ways, faulted though they may be.

Good idea, though.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Vic, I figured you would have Kung Fu'd the door open. LOL

Sorry, I can't let you live that one down so easily. LOL

You mean I can't make a complete and utter *** of myself, and somehow blend back into the crowd? Oh, ok. I suspected as much!

I was going to compete for the title of "Largest Internet Penis", also known as "Biggest Internet D*ck".

But I would have to go back in training, and its such a hassle. I was considering such advanced training methods such as liposuction. What do you think? Can it help?

I'm getting older, and will be happy to live out my days in peace. Leave the fighting to the 20 year olds....

MichaelP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very interesting thanks.

I have some what of a personal interest in this so what would you recommend for a figher fighter to do when they need to open an elevator door not using the secret latch or to use the technique you discussed above, using jaws of life, axes etc?

MichaelP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
slaughterj, your Engrish posts were old over year ago when you used em on Gerald bout 10 time and they aint get no better.

Now stope suwing people and come up with new material.

That is called a setup for your next Engrish post. :)

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Very interesting thanks.

I have some what of a personal interest in this so what would you recommend for a figher fighter to do when they need to open an elevator door not using the secret latch or to use the technique you discussed above, using jaws of life, axes etc?

Hmm, how much money you got? :D

They could pick up the phone and call the elevator company, thats the best move. Don't freak out, there is rarely a bonifide emergency, requiring the fire dept to rescue an entrapped passenger.

If there is a real verifiable medical emergency, then break the doors down.

The above guidelines will limit the necessary damage to just a few elevators a year, nationwide. Which makes it a non-issue in the overall scheme of things.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Florida cars scary? Slow - yes...but I don't know about scary. ;)

Damm Houston crowd stirring things up. Hey, we got two BTR Vipers running 9.7s a month ago, as well as the DIY Roe supercharger...and we have Levin. :)

Anthony - 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Florida cars scary? Slow - yes...but I don't know about scary. ;)

Damm Houston crowd stirring things up. Hey, we got two BTR Vipers running 9.7s a month ago, as well as the DIY Roe supercharger...and we have Levin. :)
Yea - just starting a little early with the Texas/Florida smack. Its just not the same around here w/o the ususal suspects. :)

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
slaughterj, your Engrish posts were old over year ago when you used em on Gerald bout 10 time and they aint get no better.

Now stope suwing people and come up with new material.

That is called a setup for your next Engrish post. :)

Odd, I did a search for my username and "Engrish" and find absolutely zero such posts. One would think that at least this post would have come up. Regardless, the "Engrish" bit was not mine, lay off the dope :)

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Thanks Vic, seems very logical but perhaps not followed as often as it should be.

I will pass that good info along.

So you gonna tell me what uvalarism means, or do I hafta look it up?

(please tell me, please tell me. Waaaaaa, don't make me open a book. Wahhhh!)

MichaelP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Vic, seems very logical but perhaps not followed as often as it should be.

I will pass that good info along.

So you gonna tell me what uvalarism means, or do I hafta look it up?

(please tell me, please tell me. Waaaaaa, don't make me open a book. Wahhhh!)

Well one good deed deserves another:)

Vic it is really just a made up word. :)

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Now that uvalarism has been exposed, you're gonna haf ta make up another one. How about marmalade? Ooops, that one's taken.
Hmmmm...
Hmmmmm
I got nothin'! :p

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Roadtrip - the subject seems to have taken a slight detour, but I'll try to answer you question way down here -

There are to big reasons why exoctic Florida cars should be avoided like the plague (if you want a good car that is.)

1 - Insurance laws in Florida are fuzzier than my back yard was during the blizzard. An intelleigent crook can relitivly easily wash a title down there.

2 - A lot of the exoctic owners in Florida don't have comprehensive insurance on thier cars (as in - "its only money") so when bad things happen to their vehicles they just sell them off and not bother with the insurance co at all. (remember - only an insurance company can total a car.)This is how this ACR came onto eBay, the insurance company didn't have to cover it and thus they didn't have to total it.