For Those who no longer own Vipers, WHY?

SF Final 286

Viper Owner
Reaction score
<font color="blue">I would like to know why some people sell there vipers and get into other cars?
What are some reasons that all of you have heard?
Has anyone ever heard of a guy regreting his viper purchase?
Thanks</font>

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Very few "travel" in that direction!

Most "converts" join our Nation and NEVER stray!

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<font color="blue">I would like to know why some people sell there vipers and get into other cars?
</font>

Small nuts or financial difficulties.

OP
OP
S

SF Final 286

Viper Owner
Reaction score
anyone else?
So No regrets?
No one has moved up to Porches or Ferarris?
Hard to believe.
I guess the ones that have sold their vipers, no longer cruise this board.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I own a Viper and a C4 Corvette. I'm recently retired and I really should cut back to only one sportscar. I'd like to keep the Viper but it's just a little too impractical for everyday good weather driving. The bottom line is that I'll probably sell the C4 and the Viper and get a C5. Or trade the Viper for a C5, or sell both and get a GTS, that would be a little more practical than the RT. I guess I'll have to decide.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Small nuts or financial difficulties.

I think this pretty much covers it, although I would take it a little further: If I were to guess, I would say that if they kept the car for a year or more and then sold it, it was probably due to financial reasons - either needed the cash or had enough to buy something even more exotic. I didn't say "better" or "faster", just more exotic in the sense of rarity.

As to the reduced Planters, I would say that those that sold the car in under a year found that the car was not for them. This may shock you, but not everybody loves the Viper or the way it drives (the crowd goes silent). Fortunately, the majority of the people that read this board love the car and all it represents. Think of how many people have wrecked them on the way back from the dealership when they first took delivery (I think the last count was 30+). Think those guys rushed out and bought another one? Probably not. Likewise, those that like to punch the throttle on a sharp turn for a little side skid are shocked when they are suddenly doing spins faster than Brian Boitano on greased linoleum. It is a sobering experience for many and the car may end up in the classifieds the very next day.

And then there is that "daily driver problem." Like it or not, the Viper can be a handful and is not the most forgiving car in the world. That is what has endeared it to so many of us, while turning others completely off. While some people crave as much horsepower as is humanly possible, others prefer to have it strong but not too strong. 450 raw horsepower? Well, maybe 405 with traction control, active suspension, cruise control, softer ride, cupholders, and a heads-up display might be more their style. No slam to the Vette or any other make, but the Viper is simply not for everybody. Some want refinement in their sportscars, others want a sledgehammer. I'll take the latter, thank you very much... :laugh:

Chris

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I know of one guy in San Diego, who was super-critical of every little detail about his black GTS, (but never said anything to me). He told me what a great car it was, and why I should buy it. Then I saw him on the vette site, dissing the same car, and dissin' Dodge, too. Needless to say, I didn't buy his car. Then he bought a TT GT2, then a C5, and then he dissapeared. He was heavy into tech stocks, when the Nasduck was flyin high at 5000. I think he lost his shirt.

If you look at posts in the archives, you can see many people who came and went, through these pages. Some people's luck runs out, or they are just unstable in their ways.

JetMec

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris, Well said. I love my sledgehammer. I'm past the first year and money was tight for a while but I couldn't part with it!...P.S. Anyone know a good deal on 17" Pilot Sports money is still a little and the right foot is still too heavy.James

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris, Well said. I love my sledgehammer. I'm past the first year and money was tight for a while but I couldn't part with it!...P.S. Anyone know a good deal on 17" Pilot Sports money is still a little and the right foot is still too heavy.James

Nice way to hijack the thread ;) The lowest prices online for 17" Michelin Pilot Sports apparently are at onlinetires.com, according to a recent poster (lower than tirerack.com).

Mark F

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't exactly regret getting my high mileage (43,000 mi) and surprisingly reliable classic blue &amp; white striper two years ago, particularly since I've still got 2 years &amp; 30k miles left on my extended warranty. But a rapidly advancing case of degenerative arthritis makes getting in and out of the car a major pain, and driving it nearly as bad. I may have to sell it in the next year or so and that I will regret. Some may say it is better to have had the GTS experience for a time then to never have owned one, but I'm not so sure. I suspect parting with it will be a major emotional regret.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The main reasons are financial and control of the car. Ask anyone selling theirs and those will be the two main reasons aside from the practicality that they thought they would get from the car. When you buy a Viper you just have to know what you are getting into. It is not a bad thing, just a decision that requires a lot of thought prior. :laugh:

KEITH

MiamiJeff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Coming to this site and reading a bit before buying is a wise thing to do (if I didn't, I would've been surprised that the RT/10 wasn't particularly watertight). If possible, getting some wheel time would be smart before buying.

An important thing to point out is that a Porsche Carrera 4 might save your life with electronic wizardry if you drive too aggressively. In the Viper, you need to be your own talented lifesaver if you push the limits too far.

The visceral thrill ride of the Viper can almost make the Porsche a bit boring IMHO.

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would say financial reasons in 90% of cases if it is to leave Vipers altogether (moving to a newer model wouldn't count to me, although many would argue newer is not necessarily better in many respects, some love Gen I, some love Gen II ie, me, and some love SRT-GenIII).

Other than those, the odd health or "family growing" concerns,this is a pretty passionate group here, at least those that are reading and responding to your thread. I have some local Viper owners (mostly mothballed on jackstands) that do not have a clue what the Viperclub is nor this website. To those it may just be a car that is casually flipped to something different when boredom sets in. Personally with 500 horse boredom has yet to been a cause for selling, although a new hobby of making it faster does tend to sprout up quickly, you'll want to budget for that!

I just met up with the Florida VCA crew last week, didn't bring my Viper, met at least 20 people that I knew from this site only. Talked cars for a while, drove around in them, went for wings and off to a ********** and some bars. Not sure that would happen if I bought a Lamborghini (which will happen), the love of this car is a little bizarre at times, and I'm in the middle of it.

Go get one,

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
anyone else?
No one has moved up to Porches or Ferarris?

I spent a LOT of time looking at Porsche's. Even found a pristine 1987 930 that was the right color and the right price....... I still kept thinking VIPER.

I came REAL close to buying a 2003 S/C Cobra convertible... beautiful triple black... would have been a great complement to my 1969 Mach I.

Again.... I kept thinking VIPER.... I hadn't even driven the Viper.... but it was there in the back of my mind.

Now I own a black 1996 RT..... I do enjoy it. It is my every day driver.... purchased with 28,500 miles...... I split my time with the Viper and the Mach.

I have heard a couple of folks complain about the heat in the Viper... the lack of refinement. Most likely they regretted their purchase because they did not think it through BEFORE the purchase.

Lance

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In sum, primary reasons: small nuts or financial difficulties. But there are the occasional other reasons, like health, or other financial reasons (growing family, want to buy a lambo and can't afford both, etc.), and I could see getting frustrated with Dodge for warranty coverage as another possibility ;)

snowmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually I sold mine because I got kinda bored with it. However, now I want to buy a GTS (before I owned an RT/10). Like some other owners have expressed the high HP is really fun, but it gets boring and you crave more HP. Honestly I think I should have started with a GTS and just kept adding mods. All and all I miss my RT/10, but I look forward to buying a GTS. I am pretty happy I am not that interested in the SRT and I like the less expensive GTS.

BADVENOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have gone both ways..Started with a 96 rt/10, modded the [******] out of it..enjoyed it for a few years. Then had the chance to own a dream car I wanted as a kid and bought a Diablo..Have had it for 2 years and loved it. Got everything out of it I wanted. But now its time to move on so Im jumping back into a viper soon..there ya go!

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vipers (3) since 95 continuously. In and out of Vettes, C5 C6. Vettes better daily cars-- mostly cause I don't worry about parking them . I keep coming back to Vipers because I have a great Viper tech.

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have gone both ways..

You go both ways ? :eek: Yikes... better you didnt share that. Maybe thats information AB could use though..

Anyways, why bring back a 3 year old thread? You've done that before recently.

We running outta material here? Is that why all these non viper related posts, and resurgence of old ones?

I sold mine about 3 weeks ago, so I didnt have to read any more unrelated Viper posts, but that didnt work. ;-)

I'm sure I will be back.

Jon

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some Gentle(people) need gentle rrrr "more refined" automobiles.

Some people are never satisfied with what they have.

Some people flip cars like I flip pancakes, variety...Apple, Blueberry, Bananna, etc.

Many Viper Owners just upgrade to the latest and greatest Viper.

I might consider something more Exotic but that would mean I'd be expelled from the VCA, I don't see that happening.

RJSGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gee I only have mine about two weeks so can't personally answer your question but here's the reason the previous owner of mine sold. He HAD to have my 70 440 6bbl Cuda!!! Bet noone saw that coming... :2tu:

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I sold mine on a whim and didn't even mean to or have to, as it was paid for and I had a clear title. I will never forget that empty feeling in my stomach as I saw it leaving my driveway. My original intentions were to get the new coupe when it came out, but at a weak moment I decided to put the cash on my mortgage and basically turned $50K into $86K. Since then I have had a new Z4 BMW and Hemi quad cab. I miss my Viper and am currently pursuing another one. I will never sell my next Viper unless I have to due some unforseen circumstance out of my control. Life just hasn't been the same w/o my Viper.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SF Final 286
Central CA VCA Member

Please clarify. You do not own a Viper but you are a VCA member? I thought that VCA membership required ownership or, at least, the leasing of a Viper. Is your question by any chance a stealth marketing study for a competing automobile company? Is it an attempt to ferret out leverage points with respect to current Viper owners for the pupose of causing them to switch to another vehicle? Your use of the langage: " No one has moved up to Porches or Ferarris?" seems like a bit of a "tell" to me. If I am barking up the wrong tree, just Emily Latella this post. If I am correct, :nono:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi