Ford GT

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It has been an interesting week here in Lake Havasu. The Ford Proving grounds are about forty miles north of here and the Ford test teams live in Lake Havasu and drive the test cars and future models. This weekend I spied two new Aston Martin Vanquish automobiles and tonight I drive down the street and watch a production ready Ford GT go the other way.....and I am not driving the Viper. It is a great looking car. Time for Dodge to introduce the street coupe soon!

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love the looks of the Ford GT, and I hope that it helps D/C bring out the lighter, more powerful, SRT-Coupe sooner.

The only downside of the Ford GT will be that there is no control on distribution, so there will be HEAVY gouging for the first year or so, and I'm guessing to see them selling for between $175K and $200K, which might take some of the pressure off of the Viper.

But if Ford succeeds in getting close to their weight goals, and underrates the GT like they have the Cobra, it's going to be faster than the current Viper, and stealing much of the SRT-10's thunder.

And with the Ford GT looming above, and the C6 Z06 pushing up from below, D/C will have to move quickly to improve the Viper.

My suggestion is to simply borrow the twin turbo setup from the Mercedes parts bin (S600, SL600) and bolt it up to the Viper for 700 easy horsepower. That will likely settle the point about which car is faster.

-Dean.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i thought i wanted a GT really badly but as things shape up and the details come out i am not so sure. The car sounds like it is getting a bit portly. If the performance does not handily out do the SRT then there will likely be NO chance that i will persue aquiring this vehicle!

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you haven't pursued the GT yet, you won't have much chance at getting one anytime soon. I heard the dealers had two years of 'pursuits' already and unless you have friends in high places.....

OP
OP
doctorbob

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I called one of my friends at the Proving grounds and I will give you guys an update. At the minimum, I should get a ride in the car.

Go Hogs Go!

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to the GT. All the GT will do is make the Viper better. There is alot more horse power hiding in that V10, and better handling in Coupe form. Competition makes everyone step up their game.

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just curious how much do u guys think that new gt-44 should be priced at. in other words what do u think it is worth. i think it should sticker for 115k without tax but then what do i know.

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just curious how much do u guys think that new gt-44 should be priced at. in other words what do u think it is worth. i think it should sticker for 115k without tax but then what do i know.

Just a guess .... $109,000 MSRP. Regardless of price, I agree that the GT-40 will be good for the Viper. Competition breeds improvements.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They made it clear on the GT web site that the price will be whatever the market dictates. My guess is $125K sticker, out the door for $150-175K. Bill P. is the Viper guru....will he switch brands and leave us with (gasp) someone else? OR DO BOTH?

jrkermode

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ford has repeatedly stated the GT will sell for "about $150k". However, the GT is virtually identical to a host of very nice GT-40 kit cars, all of which can be had for much less than $150k. Will folks pay $150k knowing they will constantly be asked "Is it a kit"?

The Cobra market has shown that even a full house 427SC made by Ol' Shel hisself can only muster $100k.

What's that mean for Vipers? Love 'em or hate 'em, they're original. That means they will always be judged on their own merits.

The Ford GT on the other hand, will constantly be compared to it's twins in the replicar world. I believe that will ultimately undermine the Ford GT's significance.

IMHO Ford should have kept the spirit but swapped the skin.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The Ford GT is at the Concours De Elagance at Monterrey as we speak, and various Ford Dealers should get a chance to drive the Ford GT. The initial concerns were head room and that necessitated a bump in the roof, and it does appear with the bumper requirements, height requirements, and frame stiffening to accomodate the power, that weight may still be an issue. Keep in mind how DC worked to get about 100 lbs off the SRT-10, as weight is a simple way to make things quicker. The pricing we have heard is around $125,000, but who knows. Like many others I see this car and the new Vette as wonderful stimuli to better the power of the SRT-10------ can you say 600 Snakepower!!!!

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't see the GT-40 kit cars as any threat for the Ford GTs.
As opposed to the Cobra kits, the GT-40 kits are REALLY rare and usually cost around $65-75K to build.
I've never seen one on the road in real life.

Plus, even more common modern replica kits like the Ferrari 355 have not diminished the value of those cool looking cars.

Nobody who is looking to buy a $150K Ford GT would ever consider getting a $75K kit car instead.

I think that a MUCH bigger threat is the Ford GT's price.
If they end up selling for closer to $200K then there are many blue-blood exotic cars (new and used) that would offer nearly the performance and MUCH more status.

I also agree that it would be great to have the Ford GT meet their target goals on weight, power, and price, because it will push D/C to make the Viper more powerful to compete.

-Dean.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting read. Personally, I don't see a hugely competitive market for over $100K domestic "supercars"... Viper doesn't really compete with Corvette, and I think has the market sewn up pretty good for the domestic supercar. We really hadn't considered a Porsche or a Ferrari when we bought any of our Vipers. And now, I am quite brand loyal.

A ford GT at $150K will sell the first couple of years to the collectors that ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO HAVE one and do't care what it costs. After that, the market will dry up unless the either lower the cost or figure out a way to get the Ferrari guys begging to drive a Ford. It's just too much money.

In fact, I can't see spending much more than the current price on a Viper.

jrkermode

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Snakester,

I did not mean to imply that someone would buy a kit instead of a Ford GT. Rather that the existence of the kit cars diminish the panache of a $150k Ford GT. Expensive cars are mostly about image.

Please don't read this wrong. I like the car. I spent the weekend drooling over it in Monterey. However, I still think Ford made a mistake by making an image car that is indistinguishable from a kit car.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With all the incredible performance machines now in production/scheduled for production, Ford is going to have a tough time. Janni is right that the 'Fanatics' will pay whatever, but after there gone the price should be no more than a SRT10 Coupe (if available). Therefore, under $100,000 sounds like a reasonable price. Ford needs to realize people that buy Ferrari's are not interested in a Ford. But, people that buy Viper/Vettes are.... And most aren't going to part with $150,000 for the same performance or less....

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
jrkermode,

I can easily see your point for a kit replica that is commonly known (like the Cobra), but people have a better chance of seeing an Enzo on the street as they do a GT-40 kit because they are truly rare kits. I think that there would be much more of a problem with people who will see the Ford GT as a $150,000 "Ford".

Like the GT2, and BMW Z8, I think that Ford will have little problem selling them for the first two years, especially if they can keep the base price anywhere close to $100K. But afterwards they will have to boost the power for the car to be seen as a real value against the established European marques.

I believe that Ford mentioned that the Ford GT will only be sold for 3 years because they won't be able to meet the tighter emissions restrictions for 2007.

-Dean.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the tighter emmisions rules hold up, the Viper will have to go Bye Bye too. It's at the tip top of the smog rating on my window sticker. That would also mean the end of the Lightning and Cobra and Z06.....as Dr evil would say, RRRRRIGHT.

gtsviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw the new GT at both the Historic races at Laguna Seca and at Pebble Beach this weekend. The cars are awsome. The Ford exec I spoke with said the price would be "under 150" but that's as much as he would say. The production run will be about 4500 and that will be it. I asked if they would give preference to Viper owners expecting a nasty reply but he said "we've thought about it". I mentioned the loyalty between Dodge and Viper owners (I've bought 5 Vipers and the guy I was with bought 4)and he was very interested in the information.
The car I went through was "Job 1", a white GT with blue stripes built for Bill Ford. Quality looked good. The interior dash and swithchgear were very cool. On my way out of Carmel, I saw a black GT driving. Really looked great on the road.
Too bad it's so expensive.

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
IMHO, the Ford GT44 is a piece of overpriced crap. It is only going to have 500 hp and is already S/Cd. Any half way modded Viper of any Gen would blow it away. You can have it. Besides Ford is losing it's financial a$$. I would not count on a quality piece.

Dead President

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Andy -

Don't forget, the Ford Exec said the GT40 would be weigh in at 3400 lbs. We could not believe that such a small car could be so heavy. From one of the Ford designer's lips no less. The GT led about a dozen REAL GT40s around the track at Laguna Seca last weekend. Very Cool!

The car was finished like no GT40 kit car could ever hope for. With 4500 cars prices will plummet in 2005/6.

Frank

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Off topic..did you know Mr Bean owns a MacLaren F1? He told that to Regis on GMA about a month ago.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe that Mr. Bean was the 1st person to wreck his McLaren F1, many years ago.

By the way I seriously doubt that they will release the Ford GT at 3400LBs. Not unless they cranked the HP to 600.

Remember, the Ford exec who said that the Ford GT would easily chew up the SRT-10 Viper. And that's certainly NOT going to happen if the car comes out with 500HP/500TQ and at 3400Lbs. And at $150K with similar performance, it would go over like a lead balloon.

-Dean.

gthomas

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Peoples Democratic Republic of New Jersey
For SNAKESTER and VIPERFREAK2
Re:emissions
L-98 to LT-1 to LS-1 to next generation,etc.
Engines are currently only about 35-39% efficient.
So as R&D is spent,it improves,passing emissions.
When the F50 came out,I remember the Pres of Ferrari saying they would not be able to release another car of that magnitude.Welp,they now have the big E out.
The F50 based largely on pure racing engine technology,is so efficient in regards to a normal engine,that at speed it can bypass catalytic converters,and emit less pollution than a vette,or viper.
They only say that,but then they bring out the next generation.
BTY,I forgot to say that you could go to www.wreckedexotics.com and follow to mclaren section,Mr. Bean's wrecked F1 is there,with his picture pasted on it......enjoy,I did/do.
It's www.wreckedexotics.com/mclaren/mclaren_071902_01.shtml

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
AutoWeek 8/25: FLASH....Big money buys first GT. If you're saving up for a Ford GT at the expected $130,000 list price, don't hold your breath. While a Christie's auction at Pebble Beach may skew values a bit, the first customer-purchased two-seat Ford GT sports car drew a top bid of $557,500 for a car expected to attract a top bid of no more than $180,000. Production of some 1500 annual units gets under way later this year.

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drove by the building in Dearborn, MI Friday where they are working on the Ford GT and a production white one with blue stripes was sitting in the parking lot with about 10 people standing around reviewing it. Looked sweet. There are also a lot of burnout marks in the parking lot. Haaaaaaaaa.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine