Former Porschephile now New Viper owner - oh yeah

artman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello everyone. Well, after years of owning 911's which I just gave up on and other high lines, I finally broke down and got my first Viper ( '00 GTS ). Bottom line, there is no substitute for cubes!!

Anyways, will start shortly with the usual mods - will be a work in progress. Would like to hear what mods you all have done after the usual intake exhaust route. Also, for those of you in Charlotte, NC or formers, which of the two five star dealers in town would you recommend or preferably is there a independent alternative for working on my car. I went to one of the five stars today to get aquainted and was not too impressed.

Hope to see some of you around.

ARTHUR. . .
new Viper owner of two days

ewave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Artman,

Congrats on your new purchase!!! I too used to be a porschephile. (Six 911's: Still own a '89 930 (911 Turbo), and a factory wide body '87 911 cabriolet- but not for long!)

Did you leave Porsche for the same reasons as me? (Disgust for the SUV that they are producing, and the 911 that looks and drives like a Lexus?)

On your GTS, headers, and exhuast seems to be a good place to start. Also Smooth Tubes and better air filters is a common 5 HP upgrade.

My car's much older then yours, so I'm not so concerned with keeping it original. With 65K miles it's still going stong!

Hope to see you at a ViperDays event.

PS What 911's have you owned?

OP
OP
A

artman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanxs Paul. Can't wait to get into all the social stuff. Had many 911's like yourself. Numerouse 930's and cabs, '98 cab, 97 twin. Just got rid of a slant turbo to get the Viper. Do not like the 996. Hate that Porsche is going soft. Have you driven the new 996 twin? Can barely hear it if you know what I mean. Not worth twice as much as viper.

See ya around.

ARTHUR. . .

Ron Hickey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome to the Viper nation!

Drop Janni Cone, the Carolinas VCA President, an email. I'm sure she can recommend a few good shops. Tom Sessions is one of the best Viper Techs anywhere; I think he's in Wilmington, NC. You can find Janni's email address in the link to the VCA Regions.