Fram Air Filter Part Number?

bwhitmore

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It seems to me that there was a Fram part number on the forum here for air filters that would fit Gen II Vipers. I'm looking to pick up a cheap set of filters...

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
CA8093

Got them online cheap. Freer flowing than OEM and better filtration than K&N.

Smart choice.

cagleman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting...my Viper Tech said "whatever you do, don't buy Fram air filters"...not sufficient filtration. I suppose everyone has differing opinions.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Absolutely. My opinion is based on oil analysis on every change and back to back dyno runs. OEM and FRAM had significantly less silicon than when I ran K&N's, in fact 60% less. That says to me (and the oil analyst) K&N's don't filter as well.

Dynowise, K&N's pulled 11HP over OEM and 6 more than FRAM. Tells me FRAM's flow better than OEM and not as well as K&N.

Not truly scientific, but more than just an opinion. Now if your tech said "stay away from FRAM oil filters", I'd agree completely. Perhaps that's what he based his FRAM opinion on.....

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
CA8093

Got them online cheap. Freer flowing than OEM and better filtration than K&N.

Smart choice.

Interesting...my Viper Tech said "whatever you do, don't buy Fram air filters"...not sufficient filtration. I suppose everyone has differing opinions.

More flow=less filtration!
More filtration=less flow!
Elementary Watson! It doesn't really matter what name you put on the filter.
One thing that makes a difference is the fact that the likes of K&N as well as S&B are wet with filter oil. It actually allows them to flow better with better filteration than a comparable dry paper filter.

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Now if your tech said "stay away from FRAM oil filters", I'd agree completely. Perhaps that's what he based his FRAM opinion on.....

I totally agree! Fram sells the biggest pieces of [******] for oil filters. Cut one open and you'll see all the paper glued to paper. It shouldn't even be allowed on the market. 1st cold startup (this mostly for us northern guys) and the paper rips and bypasses the filteration portion of the filter for the rest of it's service life.