Front left squeaky/rub sound ... hood bounces when brakes hit hard ---

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The first thing I noticed was when I brake hard the drivers side front part of the hood would bounce ... I just thought it was flatspotted tires from the car sitting so much.

Well, I have been driving it every day now for the last month ... and tonight I noticed a squeaky/rub sound from the drivers side wheel area (and its still bouncing with the brakes).

The sound isnt loud , if the radio is on at ALL I cant hear it ... its one of those noises you hear bounce off of objects next to you ( curb, car, ect ).

The sound is speed sensitive (gets faster as the car gets faster...slows as car slows ) but doesnt seem to be sensitive to anything else (braking, turning, bumps, ect).

The squeak sounds to me like rubber on rubber ... but I dont see any contact points from my tire on anything or on the tire (running 20's).

Then I thought maybe the brake pad is rubbing (new) ? Or maybe a warped rotor (new drilled/slotted)? How about a hub bearing? Maybe the tire is rubbing plastic?

The car is a 2001 GTS with 22k miles.

THANKS FOR THE IDEAS ON WHAT TO CHECK ON :) ---

Warren miller

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had a squeak like that and Archer racing replaced my front wheel bearing on my 17,000 mile 04 Vert!

OP
OP
A

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How much is a wheel bearing assembly for these cars?

How many hours of labor if I go to a dealership? ---

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The wheel hub / bearing assemblies are a little over $250 for a genuine Mopar replacement, which is the unit that comes with the non serviceable axle installed. They are simply to replace with hand tools; no alignment needed when done.

Of course all the forum experts will say the $69 ebay versions (that don't include the factory installed axle) are the way to go. I prefer to go with the engineers that designed the car, not some dude posting expert info in his underwear.

On my '01... Both hubs have already required replacement. One made the squeaking noise, the other pad knockback / long pedal was the clue.

On your hood... Didn't you have the thread about hood issues? A bodyshop that didn't do so good? And how it doesn't close easy without 12 people? You need to get that professionally adjusted if the case.

OP
OP
A

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Dave ... what is "pad knockback / long pedal " ... feeling in your brake pedal ?

How many miles is on your 01'?

Its not actually the hood bouncing, its more the entire front corner of the car ... I can see the corner of the car bouncing more than I can feel it ... when I do feel it I focus on the drivers vent area of the hood and I can see it bouncing a bit more than the passenger side , and only on medium braking ... so something seems off balance? ---

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you just addressing the hood bouncing question Steve?

It may be the case, but when I push down on the car it seems to spring up fine.

I have the Eibach springs installed, so maybe thats why it SEEMS fine ... and it maybe time to put new shocks all around!!!

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Yes...it's tough guessing causes on descriptive terms concerning another's observations.

Honestly, combining info from some of your threads, I would take the Viper to an experienced Viper Tech at a high Viper-volume shop and ask the Tech to go through the cars suspension/frame/etc. before I did any "spirited" driving. No sense throwing parts at perceived problems without expert confirmation...in my opinion.

OP
OP
A

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats good advice. There is only one place in town I can think of for that ... but atleast I know of one!!!

Will the front hub bearing assembly cause a wobbly wheel? That may be what I am feeling with the "bouncy corner of the car I notice in the hood"

I'm probably being paranoid with a lot of this stuff, but everyone on the forums and everyone I meet at car shows POUNDS it in my head to be careful with these cars ... a lot of them get wrecked. I just want to make sure the car is in tip top shape :) ---

Last edited:

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Have you contacted the Gateway VCA folks to find best Tech (as well as who might be a "hack" as they do exist in my opinion) ??

OP
OP
A

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I asked the President of the Gateway VCA where he takes his Viper and he told me, but its also the closest one to his house (sorta far from me).

I wasnt sure if he just went because it was close or if they were good.

I went to the dealership up the street and they told me they have a Viper Tech but he wasnt in the other day ... the guy they put on my car to drain and fill the rear differential messed up my drain/fill plug. I didnt think I needed a Viper Tech to do a simple job like that , but I will REQUEST a Viper tech ONLY from now on ... learned my lesson ---

OP
OP
A

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL you guys are going to laugh too.

I just went out and my Drivers Rear tire was DEAD flat ... they are new tires.

My Passenger Front was low a week ago, but is holding air now ... and all the other tires were fine.

This either means:

1. My three peice HRE wheels are leaking (is that a problem with multi-peice wheels?) or
2. Someone is messing with me and my car.

This took care of the squeaky "rubber" sound I was hearing and the hood bouncing (probably because the car was off balance or bouncing on the empty tire) ... thanks for the help guys!!! ---

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21