Front thumb screws

steel snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I always thot the plastic thumb screws were a cheap choice for a 75k car. They hold the removable portion of the front splash guards, 6 on each side. I recently tried to remove them and was sure they were going to snap. Plus the 1" base conforms to the slots in the part that's over the headlight housing making them even harder to get out. They eventually all came out ok, but a hassle. So.........I went to Tractor Supply and got 12, 1/4 x 20 x 1" body bolts and replaced them all (saving them, of course, for the next guy). Made some spacers as shown to protect the fiberglass. Now easy to get out and looks 100% better. Little details and probably gained 2 or 3 horsepower. PS...... Thot I should add: just because you have bolts now don't crank down on 'em, you're still working with 20 year old fiberglass. Use some blue Loctite if you're worried about them working loose.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

steve e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You will definitely gain a few horse power, but the big gains come from stickers.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I might put a little antiseize on them. Those are in a pretty harsh environment area with a good chance to get wet. Might be one reason they went with plastic to begin with, though I'm guessing it was probably more so because it makes it "tool less" to replace foglights.

TexasViper35

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the Gen III there are two of those (or very similar) that secure the lower portion of the air intake clam shell. I snapped one off and replaced them both with a metal version from my local full stock hardware store. Once I did I had instant regret and bought the OEM plastic version. I think the material choice is related to the material that it’s securing, and the metal ones sure looked like they could damage the plastic rather than ‘give’ or break themselves before breaking / cracking the plastic clam shell or the part it’s secured to. Just my two cents.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

steel snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess when you make any mods you have to consider their intended purpose and not over-ride it. That was why I put the caveat at the end of my post. There have been a number of points made on going metal. All have merit. Anti-seize was a good point for those of us that drive in weather. I don't. For my own use the metal works for me. The bolt came with the 1" washer. I just augmented that with something friendly to the fiberglass. In this case some latigo leather I had laying around or coulda used teflon as well. Happy trails, GS

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets