Fuel Injector limits for Gen I???

tristan rizzi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking for a little advice from the experts...

I have a Gen I (94) that I have just finished building. It is putting down 530 rwhp (all natural) with no computer tuning. Due to the A/F ratio we cannot take it to redline. The dyno shop estimates that 580 is very possible with computer adjustments. My question: will the stock fuel injectors handle this power or will they be passed their 80% duty cycle. I know the Gen II cars have 29lb injectors (vice the 25lb injectors) - will they be able to support the added power of my car??? Does the computer need to be tuned with specific injectors or does it know what type of injectors are plugged in. Also do my modifications require a stand alone computer or can I get away with a VEC I or II. Thanks for the help...

Tristan

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This will be interesting!

FWIW - 80% is pretty conservative... if the fuel supply was adequate - going over 90% at the redline with correct ratios should not hurt in a street car...

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would think that an easy check would be to go with the Gen II injectors to see what happens. I assume that you running very lean in the higher RPM range? Hopefully some of the tuners will chime in here.

Mike

OP
OP
T

tristan rizzi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
96 R/T 10 - I was thinking of adding the Gen II injectors, but the last time I checked they were fairly expensive. I want to go the correct route the first time. You are correct the high RPM readings were very lean - to the point that the engine builder and dyno shop stopped the run pending computer/injector sorting.

Tristan

HP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only input I can give, is to tell you what APEX did to get my
A/F right - GEN-II injectors, 97GTS PCM, fuel pump booster, DASTEK chip.
Maybe some combo of that would do it for you - and I'm sure the VEC could
replace what was used in mine. I'm not sure about the PCM change -
Maybe Bill at APEX or someone with experience can chime in.

LTHL VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tristan with the fuel pump in the GEN I's and the power you are putting down....APEX has the solution for you!!

We have high flow Viper injectors that will easily handle your power numbers. Just unplug and remove yours and plug APEX's in.....no fuel rails, connectors, etc.. are needed....they are a DIRECT REPLACEMENT...

Call them soon (408.562.1000), they have 2 sets of these injectors at a special sale price right now (see NEW PRODUCTS AREA)...

This will solve your problem.
-Wayne

OP
OP
T

tristan rizzi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LTHL VPR,
Thanks for the info....much appreciated.
Does anyone know if the stock computer with a VEC I or II will solve my problems with the reccomended injectors, or am I better off with a custom piggy back computer.
Last I understood (not really well) the Gen I's were controlled by the TPS,MAF,MAP and O2 sensors - and automatically adjusted per the engines needs. Obviously the computer could adjust for only a certain amount of mods, but since the cars run in the open loop 80% of the time a custom computer would be required anyway... Any thoughts.
It will be nice to finally get back to the states and drive again...been 16 months.

Tristan

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Tristan,
Between all the people who have supercharged their Gen2 Vipers and replaced fuel injectors, there has to be some used ones around for you to borrow or buy. If you don't find anyone willing, let me know and you can borrow the ones from our GTS.
Put in a set of the later model 29 lb. injectors, VEC1 and test. The VEC1 has a 30 day money back satisfaction guarantee, giving you plenty of time to test.
Regards,
Sean

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang