Fueling Fire: CAUTION

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Bottom line first: DON'T LEAVE FUEL NOZZLE UNATTENDED !

Last weekend, a honeymoon couple married 3 hours pulled into a gas station (Major brand) for thier first fill up, RENTAL GTS.

Turned off the GTS, operated the nozzle by hand. LEFT the nozzle on automatic near the end of the fillup, to grab his wallet from the drivers seat. Nozzle did not shut off.

Spewed gasoline down the GTS, thru the fenders/sills, and WHOOSH! Up in flames, still pumping fuel.

Bride exited car, FORCED by pump proximity to move toward the flames while exiting the door. Got minor burns. Husband found a fire extinguisher, while attendant could NOT quickly pull the master switch as it was behind a locked gate! Still fueling! Viper fully engulfed both exterior sides, aft of windshield. Fire was extinguised while car remained basically intact. ie no vehile / tire meltdown. Husband minor burns as well. WHEW !

Fire marshall cited station 3 days prior, and now again. Marshall shut down entire pump bay with tape. Returned 3-hours later for photos, found the station had OPENED the bay for operation, still no auto-shutoff !

Lawsuits filed. Viper Organ Donor for PartsRack. BE CAREFUL

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I still don't understand why anyone would use the handle lock to pump gas, especially in a Viper. Heck I don't even use it in my car, all too often I see poeples tanks overfill while they are doing something else and are too lazy to spend the 5 minutes holding the trigger. That's a big screw up especially just to grab a wallet in the car, that would have saved what? 10 seconds?

shame

SurfSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had some dope do the same thing to my car last year, I pulled into a gas station and asked for 20$ knowing it would not over fill, I was at this gas station several times before the same attendent always took proper caution and care taking care of my viper.This guy was new he left the nozzle on full, I was counting my money when I heard a click and then gas all over my roof back window quarter panels. I ran out and shut the gas nozzle off and yelled for this dummy to get water ,I was PISSED!! He said he only had a sink in the back, and he continued to take care of other customers almost ignoring me.I ran in the back got some water and washed most of the gas off. He finally came up to me and said "what did you do turn the engine on?" I was so mad I almost punched the guy out I called him a stupid a-hole and left. I got the car home and washed and waxed it ,thank GOD no damage. This guy was then fired after my complaint to the manager a few days later. I ALWAYS PUMP MY OWN GAS NOW!!!If they dont let me I go to another gas station. ALWAYS PUMP YOU OWN GAS!!

SurfSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bonkers:
I thought it was illegal for you to pump your own in NJ? The only reason is that I always see tourons (Tourist+*****=Touron for those at home) from NJ and NY that have no clue on how to work a pump let alone fill up the tank.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I dont know if thats true but I always insist now of pumping my own gas.I agree some people shouldnt be allowed to drive a car let alone pump their own gas.

Eddie N

Enthusiast
Reaction score
jonb,

this doesnt happen to be the same couple from st louis that posted looking to borrow someones viper from the board for their wedding, is it?

i hope not..that must ****!!

- eddie -

motor602

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just wondering the same thing Eddie.

yeah, Bonkers, most or all gas stations in NJ are full serve. I think to create more jobs. First time i ever got gas in my RT/10 the guy was removing the nozzle from the fuel filler and dripped 93 all over. he cleaned it up quickly but i was still smoldering &gt;
frown.gif

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From what I understand it is an insurance issue. The insurance companies would rather write insurance on a gas station with "expert" operators than for "self serve" stations. The liability should be less with an attendant that knows what he/she is doing. So there is no liability coverage for a "self service" gas station.

Gus Strakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is the car that JonB is referencing. Owner (at his request) will remain confidential until insurance settles. I know I'll never leave the fuel nozzle unattended again. Scary!

vipergasstationfire.jpg

DRYVEM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oregon still has no self serve gas. I nearly always fill at the station my son works at and usually only when he is there. He has taught most of the kids there the correct way to fuel the car. If I am at a different station I always get out and observe the attendant during the fueling. Better some gas and fumes on me than a toasted Viper.

Barbara

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by DRYVEM on 07-30-2002 at 03:17 PM</font>

John ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OR & NJ are the ONLY 2 states that are 100% Full Service.

Since day 1 I have NOT let anyone put gas in my Viper, but me.

Be safe and do it yourself.

No one cares about your car more than you do!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4