Future of motorsports? 750HP Electric SLS

JAY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hard to argue with a Series Electric motor and lower cg, but the battery technoligy still has a little way to go . :eater:

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unfortunately this is a total waste of a nice car....why would you need 750 hp and spend hundreds of thousands of dollars for a performance car that can only do maybe 25 to 30 laps on a 3 mile race track at "high performance" driving speeds before the battery is dead. I know the technology is cool, and maybe MB is doing this to gain some exposure and filter this technology down to normal cars that can benefit from being all electric.

All electric makes a lot of sense for people that commute and have easy plug in accessibility. But you're pretty much an eco-snob flaunting money if you think this Gullwing can be used to its full potential in a performance atmosphere. A 120 mile range (when driven easy) makes for a very impractical car, regardless of the cost.

The torque vectoring (and negative torque) they are discussing is nothing new, lots of regular cars use it for pivoting around corners (like Acura sedans).

Take a look at 6:15 of the video and check out the drivers rear tire (the front too, but to a lesser extent). Interesting how that tire is shuddering in the video.

Nice find and post, the technology is cool, hopefully they filter it down to a C class size car (or GLK SUV) for something that would be usable.

Cheers,
George

OP
OP
V

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess you have to start somewhere. I'd rather see a 750HP giant than a Smart Car! Maybe you can only get 30 laps out of it at the moment, but - in the future you'll be able to get a lot more out of it. I see this iteration as "What is possible."

Electric cars are in their infancy, imagine if in 1920 we had 750HP gas engines in the Model T. Batteries will get there eventually, (10-20-30 years?), but it is impressive the tech is there already to exploit the batteries and build supercars.

I also noticed the tire shimmy, weird to me as well.

Viper98912

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For the same reason that all companies make expensive supercars and have race teams - not just for ego and to show off, but to stretch their engineering for the future.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine