Future of Viper?

FASTRNU

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I wanted to get your opinions on what you think the future of the Viper is now that Chrysler is a sub of MB? No more factory sponsorship of Viper Racing, and according to a post here DC quashed development of a GTS in the Gen 3. Opinions?

I hope DC has an ongoing committment to the Viper, as I want to be an RT-10 owner in '03 or '04.
Dave

OP
OP
F

FASTRNU

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ha ha ha!!!! You know, I bought the S2000 before all the comparisons of the next Viper to it started in the mags. I think it would be hard to design any car that does not look like another car in some respect.
Dave

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The VGX or better know as Chapter III Viper, is and has been the only "future" Viper product to have approval. Nothing has been canceled, since nothing else has ever been approved, as of yet!

Keep in mind that most of the magazines you get your information from are generally "speculating" on the outcome.

Many of the products that they stated would be cancelled are well on their way down the "production study" line. Stay tuned........................................

bad viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like most I wanted the gen3 concept when I saw
it in St.Louis! Will it ever happen ?...don't count on it....
So I've ordered what might be the last Viper Coupe...
the 02 model. There won't be many made..they are not starting to build until late Sept..and will cut production run short to tool
up for the gen 3 Convert. What D-C will do with the Viper is anyones guess but if GM seriously goes after the Viper
Daimler may lose interest in the car?

JBenko

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Having seen the VGX in person I can say that it looks nothing like an S2000, or a Corvette, or a Camaro. It has a very "Viper" look to it.

As for the rear 1/3 of the car (the part I was concerned about after only seeing pictures) I can tell you that the car looks tough ! It has a rake / angle of attack that is not apparent in the magazines. Comparisons of styling cues to other cars are not a concern once you've seen it in person.

Hang in there. It's going to be worth the wait...

ViperLSS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello Viper Owners,
I too have seen the VGX/GenIII vipers. I have seen them in red, black, sliver, and grey. I have even been allowed to start a couple of these cars. I don't think the GenIII Viper looks like anything other than the next VIPER. Oh man, and the way it sounds
embarass.gif
If you buy one of the 2003 Vipers you'll ask yourself why you ever doubted if you should get one. It would be HARD for me to decide between the GenII and GenIII RT/10.

Thomas

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ViperLSS, I heard a rumor that there may be some GTS coupe tops being shipped to CAPP (or some other secret location) for "testing". Any truth to this? Sure hope so. I understand if you can't tell us.

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Regarding Gen II..... the cult youth following may result in interesting long term used prices. I have not seen this kind of thing regarding any car at any time (I am 48.)

The real crapshoot is the Gen III and how it will be received. If Viper keeps increasing performance as the years go by, Gen II value may be like Corvette - nothing special. Look at the ZR-1. While the most valuable of that era, still kind of low priced, however, 10-20 years from now it is hard to say.

However, my concern is this freakish cult following of the car by the youth. Even if the future Vipers are better cars, they may not "look" better - or at least "better" enough to shift the cult following from Gen II to Gen III. If the cult does not shift, Gen II long term prices will be most interesting.

I wish I could see the Gen III. I hear "rake" but I do not hear "Coke bottle."

Also, Bad Viper has just accrued 1000+ miles in its 1st week.
bounce.gif

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper