garage floor thickness?

quickysrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
how thick is your garage floor?

will be getting a lift in a new garage, should i waite a full 6 months for the floor to cure or does it cure faster than 6months?

BACKNBLACK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just poured my concrete on my garage. It's 12 inches thick. I wanna make sure the bolts anchor in well.

snakebitdave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It depends on the style of your lift. A four post lift doesn't need more than 4" as it sits on the concrete; some manufacturers units do not require lag bolts. A four post lift will introduce fewer psi on its footprint than will any vehicle so as soon as you can drive on it you could use your lift. Two post lifts on the other hand require lagging as their loads are cantilevered fore and aft and in between the posts. The manufacturer of your lift will have a recommended floor thickness.

wormdoggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just curious but why not use 12-16 inch concrete posts 3-4 feet down as opposed to the entire garage ?

Just MHO.
Patrick

Vintage Racer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Most garage floors are four to five inches thick which is more than enough to carry the weight of cars. If you install a lift and you know it's footprint, just create 18"x18" pads which are 12" thick under the posts. This means dig down eight more inches and also install a crosshatch of 1/2 inch rebar on 4 inch centers in these pads. This will save you a lot of money over pouring a thicker floor throughout the garage and will give you a nice foundation for your lift. Or, just pour a six inch thick floor all over. Make sure they use wire reinforcing mesh throughout the slab.

Six months is way more than you have to wait. That time span gives you a "full cure". After just a few weeks, your slab has cured enough to carry the kind of loads you are talking about. A good example is an interstate highway. They will pour a new section as part of a repair job and have cars and trucks driving on it a couple of days later.

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want stronger concrete keep it damp...spray it down lightly with a hose after it sets up.

Packing the soil down under the slab is important. Proper drainage will keep the soil underneath from moving, washing away. Most floors crack when the soil underneath shifts.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte