GARAGE FLOORS....

SteveBCloud9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just had the Costco garage tiles delivered. What garbage. First of all they are plastic (my mistake, should have known), they creak when you step on them and too thick in my opinion to sustain the weight of a vehicle. I can see them bowing in very easily.

I've done a search and found only 2-3 other places. I'm looking for something that's hard rubber. I might just have to go to 2 part epoxy. Anyhelp would be great.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Forget those wacky tiles, do the epoxy. I have had a Sherwin Williams product called Tile Clad (they have a ton of two-part epoxy coatings) on my garage floor for just shy of three years. It was not applied very thick and the underlying floor prep was rough so it is not as glass-like beautiful as some jobs, but the stuff is awesome. Petroleum spills of all kinds, brake fluid, even water full of battery gunk dripping on the floor after washing the Viper just wipe up. I just mop it with a wet mop. I think it might be time for a refresher top coat on mine to get is slicker and cover a few scratches that were my fault, but I would enver do tiles. I mean what if you have big spill of say oil? Does it leak down and run through the cracks int he tiles so you have to remove the floor to clean it? Ugh - what a PITA.

Reaction score
I have the 18" x 18" Race deck floors in a checkerboard pattern. Race Deck gives VCA a discount. I think the owner is also a viper owner and VCA member.

Its been down for two weeks now, no problems or issues whatsover, looks great, easy to clean and maintain, IMO better looking than the stain and concrete coatings.

TCKTPLZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get VCT, or Vinyl Composition Tile.

There are essentially two kinds. The speckled tiles like you find in Wal-Mart or the solid colors like you find in my garage below.

The speckled tiles are half the price of the solid tiles, and are even more durable. But unless you want your garage to look like Wal-Mart, then go with the solid tiles.

The solid VCT tiles do not like oil, brake cleaner, etc. Caustic items and cleaners will ruin the finish. This does not mean you can't spill anything on the floors though. My floors love all of the Zaino products. ;)

There is also modular flooring like that of Racedeck or the Costco brand you purchased. Both are plastic "lego-type" which you piece together to make a "floor." When I was doing my garage I priced it out and it actually came to the same price of the floor above (VCT). Only difference is the floor above included installation, where as with Racedeck you have to do it yourself.

I don't really see the purpose of Racedeck for permanent applications. Perhaps if you rent or are not sure how long you will live at your current home Racedeck would be a plausible option. Though if you know you are going to live where you are for quite some time than VCT IMO is a better choice.

The solid color VCT does make for a better showroom than workroom though. I have dropped some tools on the floor and whenever that happens damage will occur. Perhaps Racedeck would benefit here since you could easily replace the damaged tiles.

Also, if you consider VCT, make sure the garage floor is perfectly flat and was properly constructed. It has to be up the specifications of that of a floor in the room of an actual house (vapor barrier, etc.) Contractors like to skimp in these areas for garage floors. If the floor is not perfectly level the floor will develop little bumps on the surface. This has happened to me. It is not bad at all but it is something that you should consider.

Hope this helps. Here are some pics:

You must be registered for see images

zen garage

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont think VCT would be practical for a garage in Chicago if it sees winter traffic. I have two types of Sportcourt tile in my garage in Glenview if you would like to see it in action.
Besides owning a garage organzation company, www.zengarageinc.com I also own several Budget Rent a Cars and have been using Sportcourt there with great success in my shop garages.

OP
OP
S

SteveBCloud9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My garage floor is 25 years old, so it isn't perfect. Doesn't look like those VCT tiles would work. I do pull the cars in and out during winter too. Your web site doesn't include any info on the sport court. Fill us in.

Reaction score
For what its worth;
Race Deck floors in the 12" tiles are $2.69 a foot for VCA.
Race Deck floors in the 18" tiles are $3.49 a foot for VCA.

I chose the 18" tiles and ordered and installed 425 sf for my 2-car garage in two colors alloy and yellow.
The installation was easy, and if not for the cuts, would have taken a couple hours and the kids had fun doing it with me.

I initially received samples from Race Deck and abused the hell out of the samples, and did everything I could to destroy them. They passed with flying colors.

zen garage

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve,
The Daytona from Sportcourt is a tread pattern similar to the Racedeck and made from a high impact polypropolene. I use this product on my side of the garage with the viper. My wifes side of the garage has a tile called Tylon made by Sportcourt which is more pourous to allow snow to pass through the tile to melt on the floor. I have installed many combination floors with the Daytona as a border and the tylon in the center. A nice clean look and very functional.
If interested the Daytona or Tylon in a 12x12 is 2.25 to VCA members plus shipping.

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i just finished my floor did mine in ceramic tile.
thats because you own a flooring company jamie,lol. hi buddy how are ya. i'm
going to be down the beach thur-sat golfing plus playing a little at night, if
your up to it come on down. are you going to the crab feast on sat. give me a
call if your going.

tom

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i'm really glad to see this post as i'm getting ready to do my garage's. my
3 car is 900 sq.ft. and the 2 1/2 car is 675 sq.ft. so price does matter. being
a builder i was going to do it in ceramic tile and even at my cost it was thousands.
i called racedeck and they sent me a sample plus a dvd which allows me to do a
design pryor to installing. so far i like racedeck but will look into some of
the one's mentioned above. i will post pics of the finished product and also
pics of installing what ever i decide to go with. if there are any other choice's
you might know of and have not seen mentioned so far, please post it. thanks to
all that have posted so far, it does help. :2tu:

tom - HAVE YOU ALL NOTICED, NO CAPS - LOL :D

Hissses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have Race Deck and epoxy. Both have there advantages!
With the Rack Deck it is nice and warm to work on,not cold like concrete. can do cool patterns and cleans up pretty good. (saw dust can be a pain) The only down side to it is it will dent with a jack stand or if a jack is not perfectly flat. Have replaced a couple of tiles.
Epoxy has flex in it but is a bit plainer looking although it has a gloss. It is cold to lay on when working on your back. I think both good choices. For me I have Race Deck in the garage that I do light work and epoxy where my lift is and do major work. Also Race Deck is not welder friendly!
Just my two cents worth.

Reaction score
I have the COSTCO tile and feels they serves their purpose. The tile are Race Deck tile http://www.racedeck.com/residential.html tile. My HD9XW and 600# IR 7.5HP compressor are bolted on top of the tile with no problems noticed. I store my SRT QC (5,500 pounds) on the lift. http://norcal.viperclub.org/gallery/04262005LiftEvent/index.html

They do "seem" to attract dirt or more likely the dirt is just more noticeable. But they clean with the Kirkland all purpose cleaner. They can be damaged by sharp objects which I would also expect to scratch painted or bare concrete.

My experience has been favorable. Will likely buy more for my home garage.

zen garage

Enthusiast
Reaction score
polypropylene=thermoplastic resins
Steve, I believe the plastic feel you mention is common to all the tiles on the market. Our Tylon version of the SportCourt is made with the same materials but due to its design has a softer feel, more rubbery.
When my wife and I started Zen Garage we had every intention of selling epoxy flooring. After tons of research we felt we couldnt stand behind epoxy and offer a decent warranty. Our main source of business is our immediate neighborhood. I honestly didnt want to worry about going to the grocery store and having some crazed homeowner come after me because their epoxy floor peeled up after they drove their Navigator on it with hot tires.
A great site with lengthy discussions or epoxy, paint, stain and tile can be found at www.garagejunkies.net

Reaction score
The Race Deck floors are softer and easier to walk on than concrete and maintenance and cleanup is real easy.

You do have a kind of plastic sound when walking on them, but not as loud as the people who have laminate wood floors in their homes.

TCKTPLZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All modular "do it yourself" flooring looks like pieced together plastic Legos. It was originally designed for car shows and whatnot for convenience and portability. It cannot offer the shine that VCT or any other tile has as well as the closer tolerances and fitting of a tile floor. As previously stated, Racedeck prices out to be about the same. However, there are other distributors that offer virtually an identical product for less. If price is an issue, then you might want to go that route. But if you want the nicest looking floor regardless of cost, then there is really only one way to go:

Reaction score
Whether it be ceramic, marble, VCT, epoxy or anything else,
to me shiny equated to slippery and easily damaged.

Money wasn't too much of a concern, at least as much as the floors needed to be used for practical garage purposes.

Portability, never considered, my feeling is when the home sells the floors are included and with our inflated prices in Florida going up 3% a month thats the least one can do.

I didn't want to worry every time I dropped something on the floor, it would break or dent the floor or cause damage to whatever dropped.

OP
OP
S

SteveBCloud9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Zen, I just want something that doesn't creak when you walk on it. The Costco stuff just felt too cheap. Something like the very hard mats in a gym. Do you send out samples of your product? I'm not sure if I am going to be happy with any of these types of floors and may just have to go to epoxy.

ViperBite

Viper Owner
Reaction score
In preparation of the Viper, I have spent considerable time researching what to do with my garage floor. My discusion is based on the DIY method.

To summarize the key points I have found.

Tile (VCT)is great but the concrete requires a nice flat surface, cracks fixed, and some cleaning. The tile surface will require waxing and finishing periodically. Some negative discussion about long term affects due to tire heat, scratches from anything, dull surface.

The interlocking tiles are great looking, easy to install and replace but do pose potential problems. Most of these are nuisance. Like creaking, dirt and spills are not easily cleaned up, concentrated loads could be an issue.

Epoxy coating requires extensive preparation of the concrete. And that assumes you have passed the water migration test, duct tape a trashbag to the floor for 24-48 hours then check for moisture. Without a doubt use the antislip compounds for the system you use. Applications are sometimes too thin or require a 3rd coat which may not have been planned. And you wait for days and days before you should drive you car on it.

Painted floors do not seem to be in favor due to slippery when wet and hot tire pickup.

Last option is the standard roll out pads. Easy to install, clean and take with you. No prep work other than sweep before you roll it out. It is not clear to me how slippery these are when wet.

Least cost goes to Paint/Epoxy, easiest to install is the roll out pads then interlocking tiles, however the best quality tiles is the most expensive option. The VCT while less expensive than interlocking does require prep and continued maintanence.

So my decision. Don't have a clue. Well I guess one option is to do nothing. Which is the least expensive. It seems for every positive experience with any one of the choices, I have read one negative. The only one that has not received much negative commentary is the roll out pads. Although not the cheapest option, it could be the easiest in terms of short and long term maintanence. I am leaning in that direction but I am concerned I would not be satisfied with the final "look". Last option I am checking on is some sort of carpet. But I can envision several problems with that option as well.

All this cause I am planning on a Viper. I wonder what will happen when I finally get one?

radta7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Look at the por15 hardnose paint. Not as much prep and very long lasting. I know quite a few shops that have begun using this stuff.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang