Garages

Bill 96 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only double??? I've got a 4 post lift from Autolifters. It's great. Measure the height of the two cars you are storing and add 6". Thats the minimum ceiling height you will need.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine is 53' wide, 26'deep, a 16' ceiling with (2) 18'w doors that open vertically so I don't lose headroom. One side has 7' of headroom with a 500sf loft/office above, the other side is full-height. When I get another lift, it will handle 6 cars. Just the way I wanted it - bathroom, cable, tunes.....

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have to be aware of property tax laws in your state when rasing the roof. I have heard that over a certain height, it will be considered a two story and you will be taxed accordingly. I don't really understand this and Jerry might be able to dispell this or shed more light on it.

FRANK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mark,

Right now I am building a 30X30 masonry garage with 15 foot ceilings with provisions for a large loft with stairs and one above ground lift. 6" 3,5000 lb fiberglasses impregnated concrete with rebar for even extra strength. The last garage I built didn't have tall enough ceilings...this time I did it right and made sure that the ceilings had adequate height so that I can raise the car with the hood up as well. Most lifts need at least 12 foot ceilings. Sure there are low lifts etc., but have a floorplate, which is a pain when rolling the tranny jack or a shop cart around...

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i'm in the process of designing a 50 x 80 masonary garage. complete with 2 lifts, & a dyno. this way i will be able to test all those mods that are available. it will have high ceilings with enough room for an upstairs office complete with speedvision, wide screen tv, referigrator (for beverages).

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I built mine myself, brick by brick, it took me 5 years. I had to dig the foundations out twice, as after the first dig, there was a heavy down pour of rain and they collapsed in! Within a year of finishing my '4 cars at a squeeze' block, complete with ceiling mounted engine hoist, I went and bought another four garages (already built!)! So, I'd say double is very true! My doors are 7'x7'...got to get it straight reversing in! In these new garages I'm in the process of installing a two post ramp. I was unable to raise my roof, the planning council wouldn't allow it. So I went down instead! To dig the huge pit, I had to cut up the concrete floor. Did this with my angle grinder, and covered all the neighbors cars parked outside their houses white, with the stone dust that blew away in the wind. Oops, I was not popular, and had to offer to wash a lot of 'boring' cars! Wouldn't you just love me as a neighbor!!

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Boy Nadine! I wonder how many guys you **********! Not because you blew dust on their car, but because you have a much better garage than they do.

Rich Detert

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've got a ranch style house with two garages. The garage on the main level is 32 ft wide by 40 ft deep and has a 10 ft ceiling (I added this garage on to the house). The other one is in the basement and is 40 ft wide by 24 ft deep with an 8 ft ceiling. You can never have enough garage space.
You must be registered for see images

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Help. I would like to get a 4 post lift. I have a 2 car garage with ceiling height of just 9'-3". Plan to park 2 (hope) Vipers on it. What do I do with the current overhead doors? Do I need to get roll up doors? If so, how much and what manufacturer? Thanks.

OP
OP
B

Bill 96 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What type of doors do you have? Mine are the section doors that ride a track. I changed the track to make the door go straight up and then curve right at the ceiling. It was tricky getting the spring rate correct.

You'll have to measue the two cars and add 6" to figure if they will fit.

E-mail me direct if you want details. I've been through this twice.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bill 96 GTS:
Mine are the section doors that ride a track. I changed the track to make the door go straight up and then curve right at the ceiling. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds just like mine Bill. Manual, or electric? Mine have an electric motor on each rail that operate thru rubber pinch rollers. Everyone always comments about how quiet they are. (that might also have something to do with being insulated R-11) Got the setup thru Overhead Door Co.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32