Gas mileage for Viper owners with heavy right foots?

Reaction score
I am getting about 11/13 MPG around town stop & go low speed, 17 MPG on HWY @ 45/55 with passing, and 22/23 MPG on interstate cruising at a steady 70/75 MPH. The tank holds 19 gallons Max. I wouldn't advise running it to low. I would expect a realistic range of about 200 miles in town & stop and go, and 375 miles when open cruising. I run a stock 3:07 rear end. You will be wasting your gas & engine running at consistent high revs. Use that killer torque!

SoCal Craig

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Alan,

I get around 11-12 mpg in mixed driving with a few hard runs and some freeway cruising. The best I've gotten is around 16 mpg when cruising to LA and back on the 405. The worst I've gotten is around 9-10 mpg when I was showing off with a friend. BTW I tried the UnoCal 100 octane mixed 1:3 with 91 premium as posted on PPBB... but noticed no difference in the Viper.

Good luck in your search for a GTS. Frankly, you should consider another ****** or daily driver IMHO. I was fortunate to keep my Boxster S and Z3 (the Z3 is the ******). Don't let the guys on PPBB sway you... drive the Viper and make your own decision. If your out in Orange County let me know and I'll give you a ride
BURNOUT.gif
BURNOUT.gif
BURNOUT.gif

varanus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought a 97 gts in Houston Tx and drove it back to California. I averaged about 20 mpg. Now that I'm back home I average about 15mpg. I wouldn't reccomend it as a commuter car. It isn't much fun in stop and go traffic as it has a fairly heavy clutch. In Phoenix where it gets hot it might be unpleasant as the A/C is really weak and the cabin gets pretty warm from the exhaust system. Even on cool to cold days I will drive with the windows down. If you don't have a lot of traffic you might be okay, just depends on your tolerance for shifting and cooking.

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It depends on your driving style what MPG you get. I get less than 10 MPG probably 8-9?? But then I drive, how shall we say "spirited" and mostly on major 2-4 lane roads with a stoplight every 1-3 miles.

As the others have said, stop and go traffic is a real pain. In just 5-10 min my leg is about to fall off from pushing the clutch in and out. Well not really but its not fun after a while. Also it's kind of hard to drive 10-20 MPH in bumper to bumper traffic. The car, because of the big engine (torque) tends to jump forward with even the slightest touch of the go-go petal so you have to concentrate more on driving the car. But I rarely encounter the above in my normal commute.

Dump that Box and get you a Snake!!!!!!!!!

Jim Peffers

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wayne Skiles and I got less than 5mpg in "BadViper" (a modified '96GTS) when we ran the Silver State - Burnt almost an entire tank of fuel in 90mi. The fuel guage was not even registering when we crossed the finish line. Our average speed was 155.69mph.
usa-clear-s.gif
BURNOUT.gif

VIPERESS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drive my cars back and forth to work every chance I get. It's about an 18 mile drive each way, in congestion. I would suggest that you just get yourself one of those little magic wand Mobil "Speed Pass" things. I use mine so often, that I've had my speed pass encrusted with diamonds, and wear it on a Platinum chain around my neck
laugh.gif

Good luck, go for the Viper, and drive it every chance you get!! Forget the cheap commuter car, "the ******" as you called it. Driving your Viper to and from work will make going to work that much more of a pleasurable experience!! I can have the worst day at work, and when I get in my car for the ride home...well...my crummy day quickly becomes a thing of the past!!
Laura
devil.gif
BURNOUT.gif

DRYVEM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with Laura, drive it every day. I drive mine every day and the extra $$$ it costs for gas is well worth the pleasure derived from driving the Viper. Plus the money you save in insurance costs by not having to insure the ****** will probably more than offset the fuel cost of the Viper.

Barbara

Gavin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HIGHWAY - best ever - 23mpg
CITY - average - 11mpg
TRACK - consistant - 4.5mpg

If ya can't afford the gas ya can't afford the car
Seriously - compute the costs associated with owning a second car as compared to the savings by "not" driving the viper those same miles - skip the second car - will cost you more!!!!

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DRYVEM:
Plus the money you save in insurance costs by not having to insure the ****** will probably more than offset the fuel cost of the Viper.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I actually save money by having another car. As a 23 year old male, having another car as my daily driver saves me a few thousand a year. My worst mpg to date: 4.3 YEAH! I am proud of that one. I think this next tank might get me a bit over 10 but a few good launches onto the highway should fix that.

Hiper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agibbs,
I use my 2001 GTS as a daily car...I commute to and from school everyday, 15 miles each way in town. I also have a Porsche Turbo. The Porsche is definitely more user friendly, but the Viper is my baby! The pure adrenaline rush beats the traffic rush and stop&go! 150 miles for the full tank!

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hiper:
Agibbs,
I use my 2001 GTS as a daily car...I commute to and from school everyday, 15 miles each way in town. I also have a Porsche Turbo. The Porsche is definitely more user friendly, but the Viper is my baby! The pure adrenaline rush beats the traffic rush and stop&go! 150 miles for the full tank!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So you have a Viper and a TT Porsche and you are in school? I wish I made that sort of money when I was in school.

Arthur R Davis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Best ever MPG----26.2 Interstate steady running about 65 MPH

Worst ever MPG---- estimated at 4 to 8, Va. Intern. Raceway....
Ran 384 miles on the track,,,,,and 205 (lol)
miles going out to get gas,,,,,less than 2
two laps per gallon, It scarcy when the car
sputters in the oak tree turn and it is a long
way back to the pits, butI made it,,,slowly.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4