Gas smell...

Viper Scot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've just had a chance to drive my car for the first time properly since getting it back after some performance mods (heads, cams, larger throttle bodies, 3.54 gears, flywheel). After hitting the throttle hardish I notice a sort of 'gassy' smell (not gasoline but like natural gas as a hob cooker burner would use - and definately not coming from myself or passengers!) that I never did before. Any ideas what this might be, if it's normal and if I should be worryied? Cheers.

OP
OP
V

Viper Scot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Doesn't smell too much like exhaust gas though... And it's only when after being on the throttle - unburnt fuel in exhaust gas?

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I believe thats a common side-effect of removing your catalytic converters. Correct?

OP
OP
V

Viper Scot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I thought catalytic converters produced a gas smell (sulphurous). Anyway, nothing's been done to the cats in the last bit of work I got done. Given the work that's been done (heads, cams, throttle bodies), any ideas on what the source of this smell might be? Cheers.

SERPENT INDY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...I had 2 94 Vipers that had a gas smell, one with modified exhaust and one not....turns out both had bad gaskets/grommets where the fuel filler neck goes into the tank.....hard acceleration would cause them to leak a little with a fairly strong smell....or if the tank was kept completely full the sloshing would cause it too....may want to look there first..easy, do it youself repair...

SERPENT INDY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
possibly antifreeze burning off the block/exhaust....don't know if the 96 had problems there, but earlier models did....head gaskets, leaked on all the earlier cars....it can have a very undescribeable smell..just another idea...???

OP
OP
V

Viper Scot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The funny thing is that the smell is only noticeable after opening the throttle for a spell. On regular driving it's not noticeable.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've just had a chance to drive my car for the first time properly since getting it back after some performance mods (heads, cams, larger throttle bodies, 3.54 gears, flywheel). After hitting the throttle hardish I notice a sort of 'gassy' smell (not gasoline but like natural gas as a hob cooker burner would use - and definately not coming from myself or passengers!) that I never did before. Any ideas what this might be, if it's normal and if I should be worryied? Cheers.

Check your rear exhauster vents. They are located in the trunk area on both sides - at least in the GTS. You may be getting a type of exhaust incursion into the passenger compartment. There have been posts on this before. Chuck Tator has replaced many over the years when they wear out. It may be just a coincidence that they wore out at the same time that you did the mods.

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could be the map sensor is going (adjusts air fuel mix), could be the battery is tired (effects electronics/computer), could be bad gas cap (loss of vacuum).

I have had issues with all three on my car.

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It may take time for the computer to adjust to your mods- Header, cam, throttle bodies. Your dumping more gas and opening up the exhaust, and the computer is still running in stock mode. So you may need to upgrade/change your Air Fuel Mix with APEXI or Vec 2 software and Dyno Tuning.

Knight Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mine smells also when I stomp on it. I have seen it addressed before but with our new search engine I could not find it, I believe it was common among many but not sure . Please let us know what you find out.

OP
OP
V

Viper Scot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Is the smell you get a gasoline smell or more like the natural gas smell I get? I'm going to give someone a call about it and I'll get about what I find out. I'mn also going to get the car onto a dyno soon so that might shed some light on whether it's just the computer adjusting to the new mods the car's got.