Gas Stations - What do you use?

Izover4u

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just wondering what everyone prefers... and why? Is one brand better than another?

Last edited:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Many years ago I measured the specific gravity of all the Gas stations in Wash and BC.

Fuel hp comes from the weight, not the octane. Mohawk and Husky Premiums (84) mixed with Ethanol were worth .2 sec. in my buddies Grand National because of the way Ethanol burns with the Turbocharger. Texaco had the same specific gravity for their Premium gas.

Given a choice those are what I purchase. All the other brands were about the same and had NO performance advantage.

I own a Sunvalley Gas Station. Affiliated with Conoco/Philips/Union 76 and they use 'Generic/same old, same old" fuel sold to most stations.

Ted

Billy Coons

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sam's Club 93 with 10% ethanol. No problems, runs great and least expensive around. :headbang:

But, thought I read somewhere that the more you use ethanol, the more frequent you should change your oil. :dunno:

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom Hayden is our resident expert on all "fluids" ...

He's always made a point of explaining that all fuel is equal. It is the additives that make the difference. There were 1 or 2 that he always suggested. I know that Shell was one.

Last edited:

adamlotus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i use chvron supreme,techron works great and once in a while i use redline fuel system cleaner for my cars.

xjrguy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Shell V-Power or Chevron Premium is all that gets shot out of my fuel injectors!
:drive:

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Either Shell V-Power (91) or Conoco Pro-Clean (91) here in Colorado. 91 is the best you can get here in Colorado and for the winter they oxygenate it, yeh........not! Since the Conoco-Phillips refinery is right here in Denver, it is good, fresh with a good born on date. :) Seriously either one works the best from my taste test.

I know I will not stop at a Diamond Shamrock again. I had a bad experience, one bad tank to last me for the lifetime. Like Johnny Dangerously would say, "I stopped once....................once!

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mobile and BP are not top tier?:omg: I never knew this... I've always used Mobile or BP in my car:crazy2:

Quite interesting in that Mobil/Exxon is the big player around these parts. Shell is hard to find as is Sunoco. looks like I need to try harder to find Shell and Sunoco Ultra.

ViperJay

Viper Owner
Reaction score
like city said, its all the same. when it comes through the transmission pipe lines, it dont matter who is buying it for local distribution. after the company pulls it from the pipes, they add their additives and then it becomes shell, sunoco, or exxon. the big things to remember are to buy gas early in the morning while the product is cold and dense. and never, and i mean never, fill up if you see them filling the underground tanks. when they fill the tanks it stirs up dirt and moisture that you will be pumping into your car.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Chevron seems to work best here in the west.

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like someone mentioned earlier, all the base "carrier" in gases are practically the same. Oil companies do not invest billions to make better base gas, they spend money to meet industry standards, thats it. What makes them different are the additives. The additives go to protect engine internals (just like oil) and provide for cleaner burning for emissions...THEY DO NO MAKE ADDITIVES TO INCREASE HORSEPOWER, that is octane related (but that depends on compression ratio). I saw an earlier thread in which someone pointed to specific weight as a guide to more hp. I dont follow that , b/c again, all base gas is produced to the same standards and Exxon buys from Shell, who buys from Mobil, who buys from Texaco, who buys from Marathon, who buys from Citgo...etc. They all treat the base gas as a commodity, and simply add their additives.

Higher octane ratings give more horsepower by in effect increasing the compression ratio of a given engine. It does that by taking longer to ignite under compression. Octanes, a form of hydrocarbons, ignite much slower under compression than say, heptanes, so the higher octane rating, the higher the compression ratio, the more power you produce (due to ideal gas law), PV= nRT, more pressure, more temp, more power. Now, some gases acheive higher octane ratings not by using more octanes, but by using alcohols. Alcohols are not octanes, but they do slow the combustion process b/c while yes, they burn hotter, their flames propogate slower...meaning that unless you have a high compression ratio engine, the reduction in flame speed can actually result in a loss of hp for some engines b/c the ideal flame temp has not had a chance to be reached at given piston position and compression ratio.

That is why I never use 94 rated Sunoco. Yes, it is a higher number, but it is a higher number due to ethanols or some other alcohol. And unless you are at close to 10:1, I dont believe ( I have no data on this point for Vipers, but it is true on passenger cars w/ 8:1 c/r) you have the c/r to take advantage of all the alcohol in the fuel. A 93 octane rated fuel, with it being 93% pure octanes and not corn on the cob alcohols will outperform a 94 octane/alcohol blend in most stock engines.

So, what we should be watching is the percent of octane to alcohol on gases, and not the company that is pumping the gas...b/c again, all the base gas is the same.

Just my .2 cents

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang