Gas tank not filling up?

vipernate

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have a Viper that will not fill up all the way? Anyone ever heard or have this problem? We have never seen it and have had many Vipers over the years? Any help would be great, thanks in advance.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is your car a RT or GTS? if a RT here is what i have found that works. When fueling take your pump handle and turn it upside down. Instead your hand when pumping should be up towards your chest not down towards your belly. it works for my RT. IT would take me 10 minutes or more to fill my tank until i started doing this.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HEMIDAYTNA's tip works. I started doing it last year. I think one of the reasons it works has to do with a little hole at the end of the nozzle. When the handle is up, the hole is up as well. This hole must have something to do with the auto shutoff all pumps have to avoid overfilling. The RT's tank sends this 'hole' the wrong signal when the handle is down. The problem is worse when hot and even this solution leaves you a gallon or so short at times. I have been at stations away from here that I can fill up regularly with no problem. They must use a different overflow system.

Steve

Steve Miehe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nathan:

There is a "rollover" valve located where the gasoline filler tube meets the actual fuel cell (on RT10's). It is there to stop the fuel from coming out of the filler opening should you roll your viper over in a severe accident. Sometimes the valve gets stuck in the closed position and will not allow you to dispense fuel into the fuel tank - gasoline nozzle continues to shut off prematurely. Seems to get stuck from the car sitting too much. It is my understanding that the fuel tank can be removed so the valve can be serviced/replaced. Also, you can VERY CAREFULLY fish something down into the fuel opening about 13 inches or so, to dislodge the flapper on the valve and get it open again - but that's only a quick fix. On a GTS? Belive the valve can be serviced much easier.

Happy Holidays!

SNAKOIL VA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the same problem in my 93 for the first time last week. I thought it was a bad fuel pump nozzle. After 3 gallons and 10 minutes, I gave up.

The next night, I went to a different place and the same thing happened. It kept foaming up. It was cold and my wife was with me so I had the engine on. I thought the vibrations might be making the gas foam. (resonant frequencies....?) I turned off the engine and it filled right up.

It was probably a coincidence, but the roll over valve makes more sense. I don't drive it that often so it probably was stuck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte