Gauge lights not working

coupe

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've searched, but didn't find this problem...

Car is a '96 GTS.

Parking lamps and headlights are working perfectly, but the gauge lighting is not coming on. I thought it might just be the dimmer switch on "dim" but it's not changing the illumination at all. It all worked fine yesterday and the only thing I've done in the meantime is I took center console out for a shifter change and in doing so, I disconnected the window switches, rear defrost switch, and cigarette lighter plug. Everything was put back as I removed it and they all work, but now the gauge lights won't come on. Gauges themselves are operational, but no backlighting. I've checked the 4 amp fuse and it's intact.

Any ideas? Is there a ground for the gauges that might be near the console that could have come loose? Thanks for any help. :2tu:

OP
OP
C

coupe

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes, I have the manual. The wiring diagram shows gauges going to ground, but not sure where. Was hoping someone had experience/insight to this problem before I try to go into the dash. Ugh.

lxadeuce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
mine does that too. i just tap or push on the dimmer switch and they come back on. I think my issue may just be an old dimmer switch losing contact. it's also a 96gts

jay01m

Viper Owner
Reaction score
lxadeuce has it right, it's your dimmer switch. If it's unplugged your dash lights won't work. Check the plug and make sure you have good contacts.

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, Dave, I need to get one of them thar lernin' books yer talkin' 'bout.

Recommended source?

OP
OP
C

coupe

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Tapping the dimmer switch did the trick, but the lights come and go. I'm going remove the switch to see if I can service the contacts...or replace. Thanks again guys.

CWhiteRun

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Before you get a new switch just see what happens if you replace the fuse anyways. If that doesn't work then grab a multimeter and make sure that you're getting the same voltage reading on both legs when the fuse is active.

OP
OP
C

coupe

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'll check out the switch and connection first and update this thread. It's too cold out in the garage right now though! Thanks Chad.