gear changes& 0-60 times

quickysrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i was wondering if gear changes affect the 0-60 times. i know that the main reason people add them is to improve 1/4 times. would it make 0-60 times worse?

reason for me asking is that i am comparing the venom650 vs rsi750

rsi has more horse power & torque than the venom although i think that since rsi is using gear chages it gets a slower 0-60 but a faster 1/4 time.

guys your wisdom?

Cobra4B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey =) Any time you change gears in a car you'll change the torque multipler and allow the car to accelerate quicker. The problem is traction... if you don't have it the gears won't help you at all. 0-60 times are very trivial in a car wtih over 350rwhp, it's all driver skill, surface conditions, and tires.

When looking at the stats of super high horsepower cars all I really look for is the 1/4 mile trap speed, it's the best indicator of horsepower... the rest is driver and traction.

Vipera Russelli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want actual performance specs on the various RSI packages, you'll need to call RSI, since, according to Gerald of RSI, the numbers listed on their website are wrong. I learned this when I called to ask why, according to their website, the 700 package ran a faster quarter mile than the 750 package. He said they had had some trouble with their webmaster, but were expecting to update things shortly.

Personally, from all the things I've heard, and admittedly with no actual work experience with either RSI or the Venom guy, I wouldn't hesitate for a second to send my baby off to RSI (which by the way doesn't require any payment until the job is complete). As for the alternative... :rolleyes: Just make sure you do your homework. We all have different tolerances for risk, I suppose.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My only comment, and an uneducated one at that, is that the stock 3.07's are good to 61 MPH in first gear. Anything else and you will have to shift. Will the quicker acceleration be overshadowed by the time it takes to shift from 1st to 2nd? Hmmm....

Oh, and when I can rub a couple nickels together I WILL be changing out the gears...

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes the car will run 0-60 well 59 I've heard but I'm sure if you change out the rear end you will make that number worse, but then again who runs a race at 60 MPH? It is correct that lower gears would make traction a bit of a problem, but with a little practice this won't be an issue. These cars are terribly over-geared, and they need a 3.55 or so in them. Now if this caused you to have to change gears near the finish line on the eighth mile or quarter mile mark, and you plan on runing at the track, then it would not be a good idea to do this. I think for sporting around on the street, the car would feel great with a lower gear, especially if the roads you sprint about on are of good traction. I can really feel my car bogging down on roads with good traction. I guess you could say a gear change would depend on what you are doing with your car. One thing is for sure you will feel much greater acceleration through the gears. One exception to this would be for cars that increased their engine HP 100 or more, that would override the gear problem, unless you were running slicks.

No matter how good the road surface is, your stock tires are acting sort of like a slipping clutch, making gears not so bad a problem.

0-60 MPH time is just a measuring point, and really has no significance as to the fun factor. The gear change will hurt that but now lets measure the car at 0-80 and this car will rule. This is more realistic when sprinting about. The second gear pull is what is thrilling.

OP
OP
Q

quickysrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
cool info mr.white so basicly you are saying that the rsi 750 would pull a way better 0-60 time than the venom650 if i told them to leave the gears alone...right? i spoke to gerald from rsi and he was surprised that the venom 650 did so well. i have terible traction as it is here in virginia beach(weather *****)and think that those gears would make it worse. especialy if i increased the power.

0-60 times of under 3sec sound realy good to me. i think once a street driven car gets in the 10's it doesnt matter what the time is as long as its in the tens. i am waaaay to busy to go to the strip every week anyways.

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Traction is more managable with a lower gear, once you get used to it. An improvement in your 60 FOOT time is what it's all about not 0-60 MPH. I'f you can improve that, you will have a faster car in most area's. Sadly the Viper is so limited because of the independent rear suspension, and I don't think there are any sticky tires out there, (19")

The best thing you can do to improve you'r 60 Foot time is to lower the rear tires to around 23-24 You will not have excessive tire wear or poor handling. Try it, I've monitored the tire temperture at this pressure and there is no increase at all. That says a lot. Go for the lower gear and you'll love it, I'm sure of this. Forget about the 0-60 time. If you pull up next to someone for short run, you will blow them away at the top of you'r second gear, and to me the race is over when I'm that far ahead. But 650 HP or more, leave the gears as they are

Skip W.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc