gen 1 dash... fixed it

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I never liked the dash in my '94. Like all the others, mine was sticky, dirty and scratched easily with a misplaced fingernail!! The dash trim was getting pretty ugly but I wanted to keep the car as original as possible so I just tried not to look at it and never touched it on purpose! (some of you know exactly what I mean).... That textured grey paint is terrible!... Well, I finally decided to repaint it in black (as it should have been from the factory, IMO)

Here's the pics:

picture.php

It's not hard to see that some work is needed. :omg:

picture.php

The dash came out easily enough...

picture.php

Some #1 steel wool, oven cleaner and elbow grease took the old paint off.

picture.php

Half way point. The smaller pieces are almost done and the dash is ready for primer. The extra radio bezel on the left is the original. The black one was from X2 and needed plenty of repairs...It came to me cracked and missing clips.

picture.php

Ready to install!

picture.php

Looks to me like it wanted to be black all along!

picture.php

I spent about a week of spare time doing this little project. The oven cleaner did a good job of weakening the old grey but left the plastic alone. I used a flat black spray paint designed for plastic and I'm happy to report it came out quite nice. The perfect interior more than outweighs the loss of the "factory" coloring! Why did I wait so long?? :dunno:

97snk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That looks better than my 97 dash. I need to take some time out to paint mine as well.

OP
OP
jdeft1

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used plain old spray paint (rattle can.. I like that! ;) ) I knew I wanted to do it so I bought a replacement radio bezel from X2 to use as a test piece/spare... Besides, the radio bezel was the ugliest part of my dash and I wanted a spare.

I did a few searches here on the forum to discover the oven cleaner as paint loosener notion. It really worked well! Do not use gasket remover!!!

My story: On my first try with the extra bezel I decided oven cleaner was too slow so I tried the gasket remover... Bad idea! The gasket remover went to work on the plastic and went after it with a vengeance! If I didn't clean it off within a few minutes of application it would have ruined the piece!! Even so it required plenty of sanding by hand to remove the damaged surface!! 'nuf said!

I really don't know much about paint or body work so I normally would leave it to the professionals but this job seemed so easy! .. and it was..

Here you go:

Spray a heavy application of oven cleaner on it and wait. A few hours should do it. I used #1 steel wool to rub off the old grey paint, using circular motions. After the paint was all off I went over it again with finer and finer steel wool. A few tough spots got some light sand paper treatment... (nooks and crannies).. I also used a dremmel with a fine wheel to get into the grooves around the gages etc. When the thing looked done, smooth and free of paint traces... I rinsed it with water and wiped it down with a clean rag damp with rubbing alcohol.

On my first try I used good ol' Walmart rattle can flat black, made for plastic. I decided it was a bit too shiny so did a light rub with steel wool and changed to another flat black available at Home Depot (closer to home)... I'd have to go out to get the can to tell you what it is but you get the idea... fast and cheap did the job.

I'm really happy with the way it turned out and think it should have come from the factory this way! Really, that horrible grey needed to go!! If your dash is in need of a makeover.. Don't hesitate! It's easy to do with a bit of patience.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Looks way better - it's amazing that Dodge put that fuzzy gray paint on in the first place. On my Gen 1, I also painted the bezel surrounds Red to match my exterior. Did you use a flat or satin clear over the black paint?

OP
OP
jdeft1

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the kind words...

Rocket62, I used flat. I tested the look of satin and gloss and decided flat looked best I guess. I was expecting a satin finish would be best but the wife and I both agree that flat was the way to go. To each his own :dunno:

It really is pretty easy to do this little project and so worth it!! ..IMO.

ricktessmer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I used Dupli-Color Textured Metallic Silver paint Part # MX-101 and it matches almost exactly to the orginal look and texture. I had to order it on line but it looks great.

OP
OP
jdeft1

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used Dupli-Color Textured Metallic Silver paint Part # MX-101 and it matches almost exactly to the orginal look and texture. I had to order it on line but it looks great.

Good info ricktessmer.
I thought quite a bit about trying to match the original color but decided in the end that it really looks better in black. I tested a couple greys and looked at a few others in making that determination including a local owner with a "new" replacement dash (His was damaged by a thief who ruined the glovebox door). To each his own. I'm sure yours looks nice and more closely resembles the factory finish.

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The sad part is, is that no one will ever notice thinking it is factory. A credit to you for taking the time to make it right.

Good Work :2tu:

Roy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This looks very nice, I am wanting to do so too, but I want it to look grey again...

GotAViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks awesome. I just paid someone $500 to redo my dash the same exact color (flat black). Looks 100X better. However, the dash was so flimsy and weak it cracked while they were redoing it and I have several cracks in the dash now.. Unlucky.

OP
OP
jdeft1

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks awesome. I just paid someone $500 to redo my dash the same exact color (flat black). Looks 100X better. However, the dash was so flimsy and weak it cracked while they were redoing it and I have several cracks in the dash now.. Unlucky.

The dash is flimsy but I suspect they were rough with it! Sorry to hear it!! As a side note, I though I'd mention that I reinforced the radio bezel underneath where the ashtray springclips secure by using some plastic epoxy over the plastic welds.... These metal clips break of easily I think.

Thanks again for the kind words...

SlateEd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Really Nice! And thanks for the insight on prep and painting... If I get around to my door handle bezels I'll be using oven cleaner!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang