Gen 1 Head gaskets.

TheMeat

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok, was it someone on here, at least, that out bid me on the Gen 1 head gaskets that were on E-Bay?

OP
OP
T

TheMeat

Viper Owner
Reaction score
They went for a good deal (without Viper tax)....but the seller did not have any information about them.

Gaskets

jdoc7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You didn't want those anyway. Those are the paper ones and are useless. The updated version is black.

OP
OP
T

TheMeat

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You didn't want those anyway. Those are the paper ones and are useless. The updated version is black.

Well for the original starting bid of $24.95, I did not think I could go wrong.

Ray.

carguy07

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Well for the original starting bid of $24.95, I did not think I could go wrong.

Ray.

Only wrong if you want them to stay sealed indefinitely. Trust me, you lucked out on this one. I bet they will be worth something in 20 years or so for the collector that has to have everything bone stock as delivered. Other than that they are worthless.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ray, If you could buy those for $1...heck one penny...DON'T. Unless you want something to hang on the wall, don't think of putting them on your car.

OP
OP
T

TheMeat

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ray, If you could buy those for $1...heck one penny...DON'T. Unless you want something to hang on the wall, don't think of putting them on your car.

I hear ya. I am just amazed at the price for head gaskets on these cars. I found the newer style gaskets online that are reasonably priced(under $800). I label these "reasonably priced" based on the pricing information gathered from this forum.

I made a phone call to Cometic this morning and asked them about their gaskets. The guy told me that they could make them for the GEN 1 Viper but would need a minimum order of 150 gaskets. Since this would be a bulk order, I could get them for $70/each in various oversized bore configurations of my choosing. Cometic would need a gasket, head, and a block for about 1 month to get it rolling.

So I am looking at $10500 for 150 gaskets!!!

:buttkick: I only need/want 2. So, if we could find about 75 people and out of these 75 one of them who lives relatively close to the Cometic factory in Concord OH, we all could have a nice set of gaskets at a great price.

I know this will never happen but just thought I would share my findings.

:2tu: Ray.

viperchick12

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just installed a set of the new style gaskets on my 93 last night and they are 10x better - I agree w/ everyone else - I would not put the old style gaskets back on even if someone paid me to do it - Its only a matter of time before something happens to them and as we found out last night, it's not always noticable

One of mine had already started to blow and I'm sure I was losing HP but it had not done enough damage to cause major problems yet

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ray, The issue with getting someone else to make the gaskets is the fact that you still need a bunch of other gaskets on a gen1. The thermostat gasket is very critical and is a spot where many people have leaks. Call Chuck Tator for the best deal available on a total set and save 20%, no shipping. You'll also have his wealth of technical knowledge and assistance. Search on my posts when I changed mine. I tried to detail everything. Craig

OP
OP
T

TheMeat

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ray, The issue with getting someone else to make the gaskets is the fact that you still need a bunch of other gaskets on a gen1. The thermostat gasket is very critical and is a spot where many people have leaks. Call Chuck Tator for the best deal available on a total set and save 20%, no shipping. You'll also have his wealth of technical knowledge and assistance. Search on my posts when I changed mine. I tried to detail everything. Craig

Craig, the issue in getting someone else to make a headgasket is not the other gaskets involved during a swap. It's the niche market for these cars that a big company does not want to invest R&D into for a limited number of units.

The thermostat gasket is what $9.00? Intake mani gasket $10. Exhaust mani $18.

Then you get to the head gaskets-$320 each! (These prices were found on the internet.)

I know there are additional gaskets involved, but just throwing a couple out there for comparison sake. I know the Viper is not a Neon and this topic has been discussed numerous times but, I am a newbee and just sharing my findings.

:D

Ray.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ray, You might be surprised to find what the other gaskets cost assuming you were to get the head gaskets somewhere else. Call Tator.

DrMcHenry

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Did you have any problems with the sleeves staying in place when you took the heads off?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbone96