Gen 1 - Idling Question

BC Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a '95 Gen 1 which recently had the Fuel Pump replaced. What a better difference I noticed (especially when I fire her up right away)! One thing that I have noticed is when I get to a stop light and idle (mostly when in neutral) the revs will bounce back and forth between 0-1000rpms or so for about 2-5 seconds and then rest at 500 rpms. It almost sounds like it will stall when it gets close to zero, but does not. This does not happen every time - I would say about 15-20% of the time.

Thoughts of what this may be a result from and solutions for it?

Appreciate the help and feedback!

vprtech

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a '95 Gen 1 which recently had the Fuel Pump replaced. What a better difference I noticed (especially when I fire her up right away)! One thing that I have noticed is when I get to a stop light and idle (mostly when in neutral) the revs will bounce back and forth between 0-1000rpms or so for about 2-5 seconds and then rest at 500 rpms. It almost sounds like it will stall when it gets close to zero, but does not. This does not happen every time - I would say about 15-20% of the time.

Thoughts of what this may be a result from and solutions for it?

Appreciate the help and feedback!

Besides the advice from the previous post, is the engine modified, and is this a new problem that just started happening? I think it is likely unrelated to the fuel pump replacement, other than if you disconnected the battery, it may have wiped any non-volatile memory where adaptives for AIS and fuel trims are stored. In that case, they may have not updated unless the engine temp has exceeded a certain level, and the car has idled / been driven enough.

- Chris

DC Performance: Proven Performance

OP
OP
B

BC Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks vprtech & dave6666! IAC - I heard about that (I just need to figure out the process/steps to doing it. Is it pretty complicated or basic)?

Engine is all stock - no mods. I had the local Dodge dealership (and their tech) replace the pump so not sure about the matter of what could have happened when the battery was disconnected.

Plugs/battery could very well be original, so my plans will be to get thise changed very soon.

If there are any steps on getting the IAC cleaned, I would appreciate it. And I plan to also get the shop manual, too!

Thanks!

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The IAC only requires unplugging the wire and 2 small screws. Use throttle body cleaner. An interesting point though on the IAC is that if the adaptives were inadvertently cleared - a memory dump - the IAC can have an extended learning curve to work perfectly again.

It sound like though your car is needing some TLC when it comes to the regular maintenance stuff.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In my experience, just unplugging it and plugging it in again will make it forget. You may need up to 3-4 trips before it learns again, until then it will behave as you described. Having the AC on helps it learn.

OP
OP
B

BC Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys! And yes, I plan to give her a LOT of TLC - just got her over a month ago and plan to do a basic over-haul (fluids, plugs, etc. Oil change was done as soon as I got her, however!).

Appreciate the advice and assistance!

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sync throttle bodies. One is "blind" and one has a sensor which is reading TB position. Mine did the same until it was adjusted so that the sensor side opened first.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
While I was cleaning the IAT I'd replace the Cats with Highflows to make the car operate better, more efficient, faster, cooler, etc.

OP
OP
B

BC Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While I was cleaning the IAT I'd replace the Cats with Highflows to make the car operate better, more efficient, faster, cooler, etc.

Thanks, Ted... is it a difficult task/job cleaning out the IAT unit? I, myself, am not that mechaniclly inclined. However, my brother-in-law is (not certified, but he has knowledge and general experience). If I had a shop manual would that be a huge help?

As for replacing the Cats - better to have Highflows than just straight pipe, correct? Did you say somewhere you had some Highlow cats for sale (if so would it fit onto a Gen 1)?

I am still just tryig to enjoy the vehicle before great weather is done... it is an amazing car, Ted!

Thanks as always for your time and help.

BC Viper

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks, Ted... is it a difficult task/job cleaning out the IAT unit? I, myself, am not that mechaniclly inclined. However, my brother-in-law is (not certified, but he has knowledge and general experience). If I had a shop manual would that be a huge help?

As for replacing the Cats - better to have Highflows than just straight pipe, correct? Did you say somewhere you had some Highlow cats for sale (if so would it fit onto a Gen 1)?

I am still just tryig to enjoy the vehicle before great weather is done... it is an amazing car, Ted!

Thanks as always for your time and help.

BC Viper

Not that big a deal to clean the IAT. It's bolted to the pass front of the intake. Just remove it and spray with carb cleaner. Make certain that the passageway in the intake is clean and don't let any 'dirt/carbon' fall into the intale. If you do, just remove the TB and clean the intake.

I have both straight pipes and Hiflows cats on my car. Since you're not into big hp I recommend you replace your cats with Hiflow cats. If you want to save the $600 and are OK with a bit of exhaust smell I can send you isntructions on how to build the non-foulers for the rear oxy-sensors (to prevent CEL). I don't have any for sale. JonB is our "mainman" for most Viper stuff.

I definitely recommend you buy a shop/chassis manual. When you take your Viper in for service they usually don't know anything, but if you have a shop manual most GOOD mechanics can figure stuff out (or yourself).

:headbang: I'm glad you're enjoying the car. It is definitely an experience. At the "Race the Base" event (search) I met a large gent from Victoria that had just received his 2010 Voodoo ACR and trailer it all the way to Cold Lake Edmonton. Pics here - Ted Hlokoff - Fine Art - Fine Art America - FineArtAmerica

Ted

OP
OP
B

BC Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the help/msg, Ted! I actually just looked at your pics on the web 'Race the Base' event - WOW! That must have been one helluva an event to attend! I'll have to keep my eyes out for that VooDoo ACR here in town! I'll stay in touch with ya! Many thanks!