Gen 1 Overflow tank flushing/system bleeding

Gumbyrage

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m going to be flushing the coolant on my gen 1 (94) is there a way to drain/fill The overflow tank without pulling off the front bumper? I also want to put a hose clamp on the hose where it attaches to the bottle just as a precaution. Is there any access from
The wheel well under the headlight or anything? I am trying to avoid pulling the front bumper otherwise obviously it’s straightforward.

Also, any tips for bleeding the system would be appreciated I hear the gen 1s are more difficult for some reason?

Last edited:

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
The answer to your questions in order...yes, no, and unusually complex cooling system anatomy with 5 radiator hoses, 5 heater hoses, and thermostat at the rear of the engine. The good news is your year is slightly easier to manage than the 92, and early 93 models.

Once you understand the anatomy, it isn't that complex of a service...but, it takes several full heat cycles to clear the air from the system...regardless of the technique you chose.

I will be happy to speak with you concerning the seemingly endless nuisances of this system...but, admittedly have little appetite to type all of this info on my smartphone using one finger. 317 402 9013

A 1994 Viper Service Manual is a good investment...and, if you don't already have one, you can likely find one on ebay.

Do you plan on doing any or all of the hoses? If yes, have you sourced them?..realizing that the silicone substitutes for the unavailable OEM hoses bring on another level of care and "adjustments". Plan on a T-stat change? Have necessary gaskets? Tool for removing block plugs? Do your fans work correctly at present?

Don't let me discourage your planned service... as I am merely trying to keep you out of some of the "situations" that some of us have encountered. My observations apply to both new owners and seasoned techs IF one has not serviced these systems in the past.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
By the way, has your Viper had the head gaskets replaced? If not, I would think that you would want to figure this into the plan.

Biggeek2003

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ive got a 96 rt-10 and just replaced the head gaskets, radiator, radiator hoses, heater hoses and the thermostat. The best way to refill and bleed your system is with a [Coolant Vacuum Refill kit]. Well with the money and will fill n bleed all in one action. No need to mess with the factory bleed process.

This is a very doable process with a little elbow grease.

Real_Maverick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, you can open the rubble hole in the wheel well, get your arm in there with a pump and **** the old coolant out. My hand was just barely able to fit. It's tricky when you can't see anything, so look online for pictures of what the overflow tank looks like. It's an awkward fit but if you twist your hand in, you can get it.

I replaced the upper, lower and thermostat hoses with silicon ones to ensure they didn't burst. I wanted to upgrade to the red coolant but my block plugs were really stuck and made me nervous. Not wanting to risk damage, I did 5 full flushes with distilled water until there the green coolant was 100% clear. If you can open the drain plugs, it's way easier. I had to heat cycle, burp the system each time (which sucked) but eventually it all came out after about a week of doing it each day. Burping is straight forward and never had an issue. Just squeeze the upper hose while it warms up.

If you have doubts, call Steve, he is the man!

jayriddle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the silicone substitutes for the unavailable OEM hoses bring on another level of care and "adjustments".
I am about to replace the OEM hoses on my '94 with the silicone kind. Would you mind elaborating on "another level of care and 'adjustments'?"

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave