Gen 1 Powdercoated and Extrude honed intake

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just posted an ad in classifieds, I have gone from N/A to Roe blown and dont need this beautiful intake anymore.

GEN 1 red powdercoated and polished, Extrude honed intake. Comes with injectors, billet aluminum polished injectorcaps, anodized washers, all bolts changed to chrome, billet throttle body brackets, chromed accelerator brackets, stainless steel hoses and fittings.
Good condition, used. I had it for 2 years and switched to Roe blower.
Intake $500.00

VEC1 $120.00

Together $600

3114Powder_coating_001-med.jpg

Note: Valvecovers are not for sale. Check my gallery for LARGE high resolution image.

Thanks, Lauri (RedEnuf93)

ryan94rt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
if you notice that is the early four ribbed top for the gen 1, which they have since switched to the three ribbed. i have heard those (four ribbed) are faulty!

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
if you notice that is the early four ribbed top for the gen 1, which they have since switched to the three ribbed. i have heard those (four ribbed) are faulty!

Expert advice - NOT - this coming from the guy that thought that the lock/unlock alarm button actually locked/unlocked the door. Do some research before offering expert advice - NEWB!

BTW - no problems with my 4 rib.

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Gen 1 Powdercoated and Extrude honed intake

just my experience: The previous owner of my car replaced the original 4-rib intake on my car a few years ago due to a crack that was causing the engine to run rough. The replacement was again a 4-rib intake and I have had no problems. I actually have a 3-rib intake that I was going to put on the car when I removed the intake to replace the thermostat, but decided not to because the move required relocating the AIS and thus a modification to the wiring harness.

FYI, the 4-rib to 3-rib change was early '94. I did a lot of research on this when I was considering the switch. My car was built early in '94. My parts microfiche shows the fuel line associated with the 4-rib intake (yes, they are different between the 3 and 4, 4-rib line plugs in and is held in place by two screws, 3-rib simply screws in to the opening) as a 92-93 part, and thus the 4-rib intake was officially only on the 92 & 93 VIPER. However, mine came from the factory with a 4-rib which leads me to believe they just used the 4-rib until they were out (which is something they have done with other parts, like calipers).

I also could not find any substantiating evidence that the 4-rib was any worse than the 3-rib (excluding unsubstantiated comments).

Expert advice - NOT - this coming from the guy that thought that the lock/unlock alarm button actually locked/unlocked the door. Do some research before offering expert advice - NEWB!

I thought the auto door lock thing was a riot too :laugh:

WOT!

Enthusiast
Reaction score

just my experience: The previous owner of my car replaced the original 4-rib intake on my car a few years ago due to a crack that was causing the engine to run rough. The replacement was again a 4-rib intake and I have had no problems. I actually have a 3-rib intake that I was going to put on the car when I removed the intake to replace the thermostat, but decided not to because the move required relocating the AIS and thus a modification to the wiring harness.

FYI, the 4-rib to 3-rib change was early '94. I did a lot of research on this when I was considering the switch. My car was built early in '94. My parts microfiche shows the fuel line associated with the 4-rib intake (yes, they are different between the 3 and 4, 4-rib line plugs in and is held in place by two screws, 3-rib simply screws in to the opening) as a 92-93 part, and thus the 4-rib intake was officially only on the 92 & 93 VIPER. However, mine came from the factory with a 4-rib which leads me to believe they just used the 4-rib until they were out (which is something they have done with other parts, like calipers).

I also could not find any substantiating evidence that the 4-rib was any worse than the 3-rib (excluding unsubstantiated comments).

I thought the auto door lock thing was a riot too :laugh:

So I have to ask since you seem to be more knowledgeable than I about this.
Can you easily go from a 3 rib to a 4?

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yes. You just need to swap fuel lines.

NO...and I included photos as evidence

The following need to be changed:

- fuel line (different connector)
- AIS relocation from back right side to just behind the right throttle body
*requires that the AIS wires be relocated to the front of the wiring harness
*requires a new AIS hose from the airbox
- manipulation of the wiring harness behind the alternator to allow the manifold to sit onto the heads.

Here's some pics:

4-rib fuel line connection
7107Fuel_Line_current.jpg

3-rib fuel line connection
7107Fuel_Line_new-med.jpg

4-rib AIS at the back of the right intake runner
7107AIS_current-med.jpg

3-rib AIS behind the right throttle body, below the right throttle cable guide mount
7107AIS_new-med.jpg

Other differences that do not require changes include:

4-rib fuel rail crossover
7107Crossover_current-med.jpg

3-rib fuel rail crossover (this is what pushes against the wiring harness behind the alternator
7107Crossover_new-med.jpg

Also, the fuel pressure relief valve is on the back left side of the 4-rib, on the top right of the 3-rib

and just for the sake of it, here's pics of the 3 & 4-rib

4-rib
7107Manifold_current-med.jpg

3-rib
7107Manifold_new-med.jpg

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

snampro - thanks for documenting this with pictures and good advice.

Only for the sake of future searches being able to find this article: isn't it an "Idle Air Control" or IAC motor in Dodge-speak?

Bill B

Enthusiast
Reaction score

While I had my intake (3 rib) off to port and paint it I put a 4 rib on for a week. All I did was use the fuel line that came with it.

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score

While I had my intake (3 rib) off to port and paint it I put a 4 rib on for a week. All I did was use the fuel line that came with it.

Unless there is a version of the 3-rib with the AIS at the back or a 4-rib at the front this is impossible. Was the AIS on your 4-rib at the front? The 4-rib AIS config (AIS at back right) utilizes a rubber tube from the airbox to the front of the valve cover, then uses a metal tube above the metal coolant tube, then back into another rubber tube to connect to the AIS. The 3-rib (AIS behind right throttle body) simply uses a single S-shaped rubber tube from the airbox to the AIS.

Note that on the microfiche below there are two possible part numbers for the AIS tube. The one that is post 2/10/94 is the S-shaped tube I am talking about. If I need to I can take pictures of both the 3-rib and 4-rib configs and parts...I have everything downstairs

snampro - thanks for documenting this with pictures and good advice.

Only for the sake of future searches being able to find this article: isn't it an "Idle Air Control" or IAC motor in Dodge-speak?

here's a picture of the microfiche I have that calls the thing "AIS"

CLICK HERE TO SEE FULL SIZE VERSION
7107AIS_microfiche-med.jpg

OP
OP
R

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
nice, but you lost me at "valvecovers are not for sale"

Well, the picture had valvecovers in it, so I thought someone might think they are included. I still need my valvecovers, therefore the "Not for sale" sign. :D

I have 2 intakes, both 1993 model 4 ribs. AIS is in the back on both.

I had the original several years, no problems. I then bought this pretty little thing to put some BLING into the engine compartment. No problems with this either. Maybe some of them have cracked? I dont know. I have not had any issues with mine.

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh well... Page 14-47, figure 9214-150 of the '94 service manual calls it Idle Air Control Motor. Thanks.

sounds good to me, whatever it is, it puts air in the intake manifold to run at idle. as long as it works, I don't care what it is...

okay, so I went downstairs in an effort to resolve this (if there is another variation of intake manifold I want to know)

<font color="red">
photo of the first section (rubber tube) of air feed from the airbox to the AIS/IAC

7107AIS_supply_part1_4rib.jpg

second section (metal tube that runs parallel to coolant bypass) of air feed from the airbox to the AIS/IAC

7107AIS_supply_part2_4rib.jpg

third section (rubber tube) of air feed from the airbox to the AIS/IAC, also shows location of AIS/IAC at the back of the intake runner on the right side of the engine

7107AIS_supply_part3_4rib.jpg

3-rib intake with AIS located just behind the right throttle body

7107AIS_location_3rib-med.jpg

AIS/IAC feed tube from airbox on the 3-rib intake with the AIS/IAC location just behind the right throttle body (P/N 4763 539)

7107AIS_hose_PN_4763_539-med.jpg

</font>

I hope this helps someone... :D

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, the picture had valvecovers in it, so I thought someone might think they are included. I still need my valvecovers, therefore the "Not for sale" sign. :D

I was just saying that I might buy the intake if the valve covers were included. otherwise I'd be concerned they wouldn't match and I'd be better off removing mine and having them coated. Sorry to turn your thread into a technical discussion...

OP
OP
R

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I was just saying that I might buy the intake if the valve covers were included. otherwise I'd be concerned they wouldn't match and I'd be better off removing mine and having them coated. Sorry to turn your thread into a technical discussion...

Hey, no problem, it's all good usable info. I sure dont mind. Better this way than someone buying it and trying to figure out the variances.

If someone is worried about matching the valvecovers, I have the original powder for this. I can even throw powder in for the valvecovers. Powder was stupidly expensive and took several weeks to get from CA.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey,
Remember the thread about the guy who had the extrude hone job and found that there was hone crud in the intake after he put it on the car?

Just a little tip, make sure it is clean inside before bolting everything up.

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey,
Remember the thread about the guy who had the extrude hone job and found that there was hone crud in the intake after he put it on the car?

I am sure it is clean now! Lauri has run enough Nitrous with his 300 shots through it to thorougly clean it and blow it out. :nana:

Cris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Weren't the 4 rib manifolds from 93 and 94 made out of magnesium? I had thought that was the primary reason for the change.

OP
OP
R

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey,

Good memory Joe!

This IS the same intake!
I have driven it maybe 10.000 miles, I think it is OK... :D :D :D

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang