Gen-1 throttle body sync clarification

mangle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just a quick question or two...

I resync'd the TBs a few days ago (to fix a slight surging problem) and ended up with an idle problem. I looked last night and realized that something was clearly wrong. Turns out the floor mat had ridden up under the pedal and I didn't get them quite sync'd right. So I did it again and everything appears to be working properly.

My question, however, is how this is supposed to be done. Right now, there seems to be a tiny dead zone just off pedal neutral position. Before, if I barely touched the gas, it would be plenty for parking lot maneuvers. Not so now, almost as if the ratchets are pushed too far in and there's some slack in the throttle cables.

So the procedure as I understand it: Open hood. Depress button on side of TB, pull cable towards rear of car. Repeat for other TB. Get in car, depress gas to floor until you hear TB adjustors properly ratchet in to place. Turn car on (but don't start), depress gas a few times for ECU to relearn TB range. Crank car and enjoy a smoother-running engine.

Any problems with any of that? Hopefully I'm not doing something dumb?

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some better lighting would have been nice... couldn't see what you were doing. But, I got the idea and it worked for me. I adjusted mine different the first time, but this makes better sense, lol! Thanks.

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Make sure that the side with TBS opens first. (driver). I had it the other way and car was idling up and down like a retard...

carguy07

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I found that sometimes I would need to do it twice to get them sync'd up correctly. I would get the classic bucking, sync and go for a ride and it would still be there. Do it a second time and it would be gone. You can feel the gas pedal bottom out on the stop when you push it to the floor. I never re-learned the computer although it makes sense to do it.

Reaction score
There used to be an illustrated upgrade article that showed how to set the cables correctly. I do not know where it went.

There is an important step you are missing. LOCK the cables from moving after they are adjusted. you will need to add a screw to each cable adjuster as per the TSB 181896.
Otherwise if you just adjust them without locking, the next time you go to the floor with the gas pedal, you will have cables out of sinc again.

97GTStx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i tried searching and only finding gen 1 tb sync. battery reset does nothing.. can someone tell me how to resync gen 2

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Different procedure for a gen 2.... It's on this site.

EDIT..Dan...thanks for the update. I didn't think I'd ever heard of syncing the gen 2 in the 14 years I've had one. I posted such. Then, as I posted the message...another thread was at the bottom of the page titled "syncing gen 2.."...

Last edited:

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You want to make sure the left throttle body leads the right. Mopar sells a kit to lock the cables (just 2 screws). Gen 2 has a locked system with a single cable. No need to adjust that.

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen II may be a 'locked system' with only one cable, but it still has the ability to adjust the right TB with relation to the left. I'm having the problem with my not being stable when I push in the clutch when slowing down for a stop. It 'seeks' all over the lower range until down to about 10 mph at which time it settles in at 600 rpm. It seems that I fixed this a few years ago by setting the left TB to open slightly before the right using the set screw on the right TB. Anyone know how much lead the left should have?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dugger