Gen 2 Edelbrock headers

paulsgts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Has anyone had luck with Edelbrock headers? They are about half the price as most of the other brands including Bellenger. I am a firm believer on you pay for what you get but that's not entirely true all the time.

thanks
Paul

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know of a lot of people with them and they seem like very high quality items. In CA, they are pretty much the only thing you can put on a street car and still pass the visual smog test, so there are a lot of them out there. As far as dyno tests, they seem to be right up there with all the others. From what I've seen in person, they look really nice, too.

hemihead

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That is what I was trying to find out. I thought the only difference was the cam and the pistons? I would buy them now but I need to find out if they will fit on my 01.:dunno:

I'm with you RT/10stew. I'm installing Random Cats and Corsa as we speak. A nice set of headers would finish the deal, I really wanted Bellangers but now is not the time $ wise.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Worked EXTREMELY WELL ON MY 96 GTS 11.2 at close to 132 NA on Pump gas STOCK TIRES.

Viper #53

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Edelbrock has reduced their Viper header price on a holiday blow out sale. I purchased mine for around $650 on their webstore. Too good for me to pass up.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
for that kinda pricing, you can buy a set every other year and still be ahead.... personally, id go for it and see what happens.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could be wrong here, but I believe up to 2000 the Vipers had a cast header system that was not exactly fantastic, Then in 2000 Dodge changed the Design to a tubular header which allowed the gases to flow better :)
So I guess the Edelbrock Headers would be good for early year cars but of not much gain to later year cars ;)

Mark
:uk:

It would be nice to know the BHP figures?

rt/10stew

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Could be wrong here, but I believe up to 2000 the Vipers had a cast header system that was not exactly fantastic, Then in 2000 Dodge changed the Design to a tubular header which allowed the gases to flow better :)
So I guess the Edelbrock Headers would be good for early year cars but of not much gain to later year cars ;)

Mark

It would be nice to know the BHP figures?

Thanks Mark. I guess I will wait until spring time and go for the B&B'S

Stew

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This part is a little unnerving.
Requires Cutting and Welding for installation

I'm also not crazy about that collector. Looks like they just smashed the tubes into it. But I gotta admit $600 is hard to pass up.

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Mark. I guess I will wait until spring time and go for the B&B'S

Stew

watch out for them B&B's a viper friend in my village had a set from Roe Racing a few years ago, first set turned up x2 left hand headers.. sent back.. second arrived and was already corroding and the were poorly put together as the angles were wrong, luckily he was in the trade and got them bent into the correct positions.

Not what you want when the shipping charges are fairly big and they arent a cheap item, and youve got car stripped down on the drive :)

Hopefully they have improved since

rt/10stew

Viper Owner
Reaction score
watch out for them B&B's a viper friend in my village had a set from Roe Racing a few years ago, first set turned up x2 left hand headers.. sent back.. second arrived and was already corroding and the were poorly put together as the angles were wrong, luckily he was in the trade and got them bent into the correct positions.

Not what you want when the shipping charges are fairly big and they arent a cheap item, and youve got car stripped down on the drive :)

Hopefully they have improved since

Thanks Neil. Good to know. This is the first time I have heard of anything negative about the B&B headers.

Thanks Stew

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I reckon they mean where the headers meet the Cats or No Cats? You may have to weld on a fitting?

Mark

You reckon? Ok, who gave the Brit the cowboy hat? :D

Anyway, take a look at the pic in the link. The five tubes flatten out going into the collector. Just doesn't look right to me.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Anyway, take a look at the pic in the link. The five tubes flatten out going into the collector. Just doesn't look right to me.
You must be registered for see images

My Summer Hillbilly hat and Snake Skin Boots too :D

In the Winter I go Skiing wearing a Black Stetson which I purchased from Sheplers in Denver ;)

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
This part is a little unnerving.

I'm also not crazy about that collector. Looks like they just smashed the tubes into it. But I gotta admit $600 is hard to pass up.

EXACTLY! First set I saw was at a FLA VCA event in 96....Dave Ivlar had a set on his bench, and ALL Viper headers were cast manifolds when the Edelbrock was designed. A 4-tube collector was off-the-shelf adapted to 5 small primaries, and they looked squished-restrictive. And they get HOTTTT. They have NOT changed design since their initial release in 1995-6. And they are no better than 2000+ OE "Mopar race headers" available for about $200.....

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That's funny - I work with guys from the UK and Australia all the time, and I hear them say 'reckon' all the time. I think we may have actually gotten that from the English before we got the heck out of there :)

Those collectors are either really weird, or a really good design - I haven't ever looked at the innards. Also, I can't figure (reckon) whether the collector is a 3" or 2.5" - but I haven't searched the part number much. All I know is I've seen a few and they look really nice and sound good. Supposedly they're easy to install with that strange looking mating flange in the middle of the main tubes. For $600 if I were looking to put headers on my GTS I'd be all over them. Best deal I ever saw on those over the last ten years was about $1000 used.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I usually chime in when there is a post about the Edlebrock headers. When I bought my car used it had a set on it. The mid-flanges (the ones discussed above that are in the middle of the header tubes) were warped horribly and had blown out the gaskets. I've known the Belangers for years and live pretty close to their shops so I had Lou redo my whole system. When you put a straight edge on the mid-flanges of the old Edelbrocks one of them had more than a 1/8" of warp. The leak had caused hot exhaust gases to leak out and melt the fresh air box. Could have been from huge exhaust gas temps from the nitrous kit a pervious owner had on the car, but who knows. Just sayin'

I ended up selling the headers for $500 with full disclosure to someone who was going to cut the mid-flanges flat. Our guess was that since they had already moved so much, they would be stable after the flanges were cut flat again.

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had the Edelbrock Headers on my Gen I for 6 years now and am very happy with them.

I can assure you that they will make more hp than the factory shorty ones. I tried several combinations and the factory shorty ones were one, they yielded no HP gains over the stock cast manifolds on the Gen I, while the Edelbrock headers alone picked up 22 RWHP.

I have not had any major issues, except one side the collector gasket blew out and I changed it about 30 minutes with a new one. I also had the headers coated and they still look good as well.

I think for $600 you will not be disappointed and can't go wrong at all. This is a real account experience with these headers with no other Motivations like selling you more expensive ones.

One note, I am not sure why it is stated they would not fit the creampuffs as I bet they would. Maybe some one else with real experience could chime in on that.

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I never once had an issue with passing CA Smog with belanger's on my old 2000. I'd say it was tested by at least 4 different shops if not 5 over the time I and the next owner had it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom R