Gen 2 Edelbrock headers

sniper1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have had the Edelbrock Headers on my Gen I for 6 years now and am very happy with them.

I can assure you that they will make more hp than the factory shorty ones. I tried several combinations and the factory shorty ones were one, they yielded no HP gains over the stock cast manifolds on the Gen I, while the Edelbrock headers alone picked up 22 RWHP.

I have not had any major issues, except one side the collector gasket blew out and I changed it about 30 minutes with a new one. I also had the headers coated and they still look good as well.

I think for $600 you will not be disappointed and can't go wrong at all. This is a real account experience with these headers with no other Motivations like selling you more expensive ones.

One note, I am not sure why it is stated they would not fit the creampuffs as I bet they would. Maybe some one else with real experience could chime in on that.

I Absalutely agree ! I've had the ceramic coated Edelbrock headers on mine for over a year and they are great. They still look great and are right about a 25hp gain over the stock stuff. There are no restrictive flat bends or any other issues I've seen as previously stated and they are a good sized tube header @ 2 3/4". There is no way stock tube stuff off 2000 to 2002 would make that power or look as good. I paid a lot more than $600 for mine so if anybody is thinking about it, I say go for it, it's a great deal.

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I never once had an issue with passing CA Smog with belanger's on my old 2000. I'd say it was tested by at least 4 different shops if not 5 over the time I and the next owner had it.

We either need to somehow advertise the 'good' smog check stations, or somehow get that information out there for the rest of us. I had the unfortunate experience of getting a 'bad' one a while back - and it was painful. Ironically, nothing on my car would cause it to fail the visual. The guy failed me just because he was 'unable to inspect' the cats on my '97 GTS. Anyone who has a Gen I or Gen II knows that you can't see the cats because they're inside the sills. Long story short, I didn't want them to take my sills off, so the guy was trying to flag me as a failed car and send me to a referee station where they will sort it out by taking the sills off and verifying that the cats were installed and CARB approved. They also charge you labor hours for the pleasure of having your car screwed with.

So, the moral to the story for me was to not try anything that I knew had a chance of not passing. Once they flag you in their system, you're going to have problems until you get someone to sign off at a referee station. Headers are a pain to install and remove - and smog checks come around a lot quicker than you'd think. Two years seem to be flying by way too fast these days. Last thing I want is to have to go through a whole uninstall just to pass a stupid smog check.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I Absalutely agree ! I've had the ceramic coated Edelbrock headers on mine for over a year and they are great. They still look great and are right about a 25hp gain over the stock stuff. There are no restrictive flat bends or any other issues I've seen as previously stated and they are a good sized tube header @ 2 3/4". There is no way stock tube stuff off 2000 to 2002 would make that power or look as good. I paid a lot more than $600 for mine so if anybody is thinking about it, I say go for it, it's a great deal.
Exactly as i previously posted my NA Pump gas Gts trapped almost 132mph (stock tires) with them .Ironically (AGAINST MY TUNERS ADVICE )after years of running the Edelbrocks i spent thousands of dollars on another header brand (believing the HYPE )and saw ABSOLUTELY NO PERF GAIN OVER THE EDELBROCKS.

OP
OP
P

paulsgts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I went ahead and ordered them. Six hundered dollars for headers is cheap enough in my book! The way I looked at it all the other brands were around 1900. I saved 1300 by going with the Edelbrocks. Now thats 1300 I can spend somewhere else on the car!

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went ahead and ordered them. Six hundered dollars for headers is cheap enough in my book! The way I looked at it all the other brands were around 1900. I saved 1300 by going with the Edelbrocks. Now thats 1300 I can spend somewhere else on the car!
SMART MOVE ,believe me i WISH i had the 2 plus GRAND back for listening and to the BS HYPE.

sniper1

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Just a little note to help ya out sir. When you install them, make certain you re-tighten all the bolts especially at the mid flange, a couple of times after a couple of heat cycles (very important). You got a great deal and I'm certain you will love em, Lemmy know how it goes after they are in.

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score

For $600 you really can't go wrong. Even if you just buy them and keep them in storage for the 'someday' when you might need them, it's not a bad investment. They'll probably be closing these out for a new model and the price will go back up to the $1500 range within six months - so what the heck...

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a little note to help ya out sir. When you install them, make certain you re-tighten all the bolts especially at the mid flange, a couple of times after a couple of heat cycles (very important). You got a great deal and I'm certain you will love em, Lemmy know how it goes after they are in.
That was the only problem i had the mid flange blowing gaskets.

sniper1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That was the only problem i had the mid flange blowing gaskets.

Yeah I was told that could be an issue so I used some Mega Copper high-temp gasket maker to help seal em up. No leaks and no blown gaskets. :2tu:

So does anybody know what size the primary and the turnouts are?

Thanks Stew

Hey Stew, the header tube size is 2 3/4" and the collector is approximately 5-6" and tapers down into the flex pipe and comes out 3". I hope that helps.

TomH

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just got mine for $691, here are a couple of photos of the collector. The tubes are 1 3/4" not 2 3/4" and all headers have to restrict their exhaust flow down to whatever your exhaust it, 2 1/2, 3 or 4 inches. Five 1 3/4" tubes have the same area as one 3.91" tube.

You must be registered for see images attach

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Years ago I read where tube lengths should be within 2" each other to provide consistent heating and cooling factors. If that is the case it doesn't look like the Edlebrocks meet that criteria. However, maybe with the perfection of fuel injection over the years exhaust tube length consistency isn't as much of a factor anymore. Dunno. Just thinking out loud.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Years ago I read where tube lengths should be within 2" each other to provide consistent heating and cooling factors. If that is the case it doesn't look like the Edlebrocks meet that criteria. However, maybe with the perfection of fuel injection over the years exhaust tube length consistency isn't as much of a factor anymore. Dunno. Just thinking out loud.

You're right Chuck, equal length headers such as B&B and Bellangers are 'tuned headers' and like the ****** headers of the old days tuned = a lot more hp.

The tuning is so that the sonic waves and exhaust pulses meet at specific times in the collectors causing a suction in front of the next cylinder's exhaust pulse.

The Edelbrock headers have no effort made towards equalling tube lengths and therefor obviously make less power than tuned headers.

I have an extra set of Bellanger 1 3/4" headers (5>2>1)with the pickles removed and have TNT headers installed on my car.

You must be registered for see images

Ted

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're right Chuck, equal length headers such as B&B and Bellangers are 'tuned headers' and like the ****** headers of the old days tuned = a lot more hp.

The tuning is so that the sonic waves and exhaust pulses meet at specific times in the collectors causing a suction in front of the next cylinder's exhaust pulse.

The Edelbrock headers have no effort made towards equalling tube lengths and therefor obviously make less power than tuned headers.

I have an extra set of Bellanger 1 3/4" headers (5>2>1)with the pickles removed and have TNT headers installed on my car.

You must be registered for see images

Ted
REALLY then how come when i went from the Edelbrocks to the Bellangers (spent thousands OF DOLLARS MORE )i made absolutely no horsepower more .The car trapped close to 132 with both pairs (DYNO NUMBERRS WERE EQUAL )Have you ever ran,DYNOED ,RACED both sets on your car (going from one to the other) to QUALIFY yourself to make such a statement .

Jerome Sparich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One note, I am not sure why it is stated they would not fit the creampuffs as I bet they would. Maybe some one else with real experience could chime in on that.

Maybe because it co$st BIG $ to get them CARB Cert. for the new year/Gen car.

Lets take K&N. Ever notice how the FPIK, which is CARB Cert. cost 3x more than their "Off Road/Racing only" Aircharger? Answer is because of the CARB Cert. This was told to me direct from someone working at K&N when I inquired about 2 of their filter systems.

In the end I was told that the little CARB sticker with the FIPK cost the extra 2/3 in price.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
"Extra?" Is that a subtle "for sale" advertisement? :D

You caught me. :)

They're only used for 2K and I removed the pickles as they choke off any supercharged applications badly. Sean Roe said that they're excellent headers, but with pickles expect a 20hp power loss. I removed the pickles.

The headers are a high quality and the pic shows how close to equal length the tubes are. On a large tube (1 3/4") 5 into one collector there is quite a pressure drop and I had originally planned to change out the TNTs for the superior Bellangers, but I decided that I will be hooking up my Nitrous kit so a few more hp isn't worth the effort of changing headers.

There are several Header companies that publish much of their exhaust technologies on the web. Billy Boat had several excellent pages of technology. Viper headers expecially do need help in the collector dept. The Bellangers with 5 tubes into 2 tubes, into 1 collector tube bypasses much of the problems with the 5 into 1. I believe that a Burns collector also is worthwhile and could add significant (5? bhp) to the Edelbrock headers.

Ted

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At those prices it may be that they are going to discontinue them. I'm not a fan of those collectors or the two piece design, but considering the E.O. #, flex joints, and the simple fact that they make power, you simply can't buy a better header at that price. Seems like they were playing the market with that volatile pricing though.

Zrxpilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For anyone that cares..I recently put these on my 95. Not much fun to install but they do look nice. Good time to change motor mounts as you are not getting them in without unbolting them. Need to install the heat shields yet. I finished it with Borla sportsman cans. Sounds better than I thought it would and screams at wot.

Something odd is happing tho when the pipes expand. I didnt install the front hangers (thinking I should have) and after it gets hot something is bouncing around in there where the flex pipe goes thru the hole in the frame. Not much for clearance there btw.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang