Gen 2 wheels - really dumb question

cagleman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay...I know next to nothing (apparently). The wheels on my '01...I was looking to buy a polish to use on them and was looking at Mothers Mag and Aluminum Polish and it says, not for use on chrome (or something like that). Got me thinking, well what is the finish on the stock wheels?

jdoc7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The wheels are polished, not chrome...but, they are clearcoated. So basically, you want to take care of them like you would paint. Do not use metal polish on them, this is too abrasive for clear coat.

OP
OP
C

cagleman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks. What is the concensus recommendation on a good cleaner/polish for them? Right now, I am using that Armorall Wheel Cleaner stuff which is a bit*h.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I only use soap and water.
I'm concerned wax on the clear coat could cook on to the fronts wheels if under to much heavy braking.
But I think the heavy track braking cooks the clear coat any way.

jdoc7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just wash with Meguiar's Gold Class car wash and apply a nice coat of Wheelwax. As for actually polishing, I've never had to do that to my wheels because they are always clean. I wipe them down after each drive and the Wheelwax helps keep brake dust to a minimum. Never had to treat oxidation on wheels. I have noticed that on older, less taken care of wheels, the clearcoat has hazed and I'm not sure if there is a whole lot you can do about that.

jk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My understanding is that it actually is a clear powdercoating, though I guess the care aspect of it is the same as a clear coat paint application.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Meguires SCRATCH X (discussed many times in the past) is THE best stuff to take out very minor scratch and swirl marks in the clear coat in preparation for a good protective coating of pure wax.

Scratch X, pure wax and very mild soap and water are the only things that ever touch my wheels and they look maaaaavalous

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WAX, WAX, and more WAX, for the clear coat.
After a track day with HEAVY brake dust, it wipes right off.
As an initial "wipe off", I have found that those blue shop 'paper' towels really picks up the brake dust and dosen't just spread it around. Then with LOTS of wax on the wheels use a microfiber cloth to wipe and buff.

Later,

OP
OP
C

cagleman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
so just regular car wax? I am currently using a Mothers Gold something was (the name escapes me at the moment).

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As Idoc7 said, use Wheelwax: www.wheelwax.com

I just spritz with a good grade of glass cleaner and wipe with a soft cotton cloth to get the brake dust off. Then treat every now and then with WheelWax.

That technique was recommended to me by a professional wheel restorer and it has worked great for years. :)

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Anyone use a "Foose power ball" with wax? Just bought one and used it on my Ram's 22's. Not too impressed since there were many areas I could not get the ball into (and I have both the reg sized and "mini" power balls). May work better on Gen 2 wheels since the openings seem to be large enough for the mini-ball.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WAX, WAX, and more WAX, for the clear coat.
After a track day with HEAVY brake dust, it wipes right off.
As an initial "wipe off", I have found that those blue shop 'paper' towels really picks up the brake dust and dosen't just spread it around. Then with LOTS of wax on the wheels use a microfiber cloth to wipe and buff.

Later,

yehp, I use the blue shop towels too, work perfectly

after every 'run', I spray them with window cleaner (I like Invisible glass or Napa's foam window cleaner) and the brake dust wipes right off. Takes me 5 minutes :headbang:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte