Gen 3 cigar lighter wont stay down in closed position?

Tightchevelle69

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine doesn’t either, nor does mine have the cigar lighter. A previous owner had put a screw partially into it from underneath to hold it closed. Hoping someone on here has the answer to a replacement or fix

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Mine doesn’t either, nor does mine have the cigar lighter. A previous owner had put a screw partially into it from underneath to hold it closed. Hoping someone on here has the answer to a replacement or fix

The pop up one is a power point, it never had a lighter insert as far as I'm aware. The one inside the center console is the one that has the lighter. As for it not staying down, that I don't know without tearing one apart. I know mine is a little finicky at times, but it does eventually go. You have to press it a little past flush, but guessing you've already tried that.

Tightchevelle69

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The pop up one is a power point, it never had a lighter insert as far as I'm aware. The one inside the center console is the one that has the lighter. As for it not staying down, that I don't know without tearing one apart. I know mine is a little finicky at times, but it does eventually go. You have to press it a little past flush, but guessing you've already tried that.
Power point or lighter, mopar calls is a cigar lighter base. Yes, I have tried pushing it down. It was down when I purchased the car and never gave it a thought to check it. It didnt want to open so I pushed a little harder and thats when the screw that was holding it down moved enough that it came up and I could see the screw and there was no lighter powerpoint. I dont need the powerpoint or lighter, just would like the door to function correctly.

Last edited:

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Power point or lighter, mopar calls is a cigar lighter base. Yes, I have tried pushing it down. It was down when I purchased the car and never gave it a thought to check it. It didnt want to open so I pushed a little harder and thats when the screw that was holding it down moved enough that it came up and I could see the screw and there was no lighter powerpoint. I dont need the powerpoint or lighter, just would like the door to function correctly.

Oh, you mean it doesn't even have the socket period? I was thinking you meant it just didn't have the knob thing that actually has the lighter coil in it. Now I'm curious how they are supposed to work...

Tightchevelle69

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Correct. I have the actual lighter piece under the center console lid. But the flip open one doesnt even have the socket in it. I dont think that should matter as far as getting the thing to latch or not. I ahve yet to find one for sale other than on ebay combined with the rest of the console. Maybe I will pull it out this weekend and see if I can figure out a way to fix it or at least open and shut.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I'd agree, the socket shouldn't matter to the operation of the latching part. Fortunately the center console comes off really easily. The worst of it is just taking the shift knob off, otherwise it's pretty much just press tabs holding everything in and some harnesses to unplug.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala