Gen 4 spring compressor

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went to my local Firestone Store. The manager let me do my thing to the shocks & springs.

ZZ SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tried with a regular strut compressor. Does not work.

Ended up running by Meineke and took them 20 minutes. Also, getting the forks off the rear is a royal PITA if you are installing new coilovers into them (such as Vipair).

2easy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im in Calgary. I used the one from Canadian tire, but it only worked on the fronts. The rears were too tight (hooks wouldn't fit between the coils). I had to take them to an auto dealer. I use them a lot for business and they did it for free.

OP
OP
S

SRT09

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im in Calgary. I used the one from Canadian tire, but it only worked on the fronts. The rears were too tight (hooks wouldn't fit between the coils). I had to take them to an auto dealer. I use them a lot for business and they did it for free.

I kind of want to buy one been doing more and more work on Vipers lately :)

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just take your shocks to a tire/brake place, most have a spring compressor like the one in this pic

Then when you go to remove the fork, Spray with penetrating oil and let sit for an hour or 2, then bolt the fork in a vice, then grab on with a pipe wrench, use a bar to give you better leverage and if that doesn't work, buy a $50 torch from Home depot and heat up the black fork just under where the coil over is bolted in, this will expand the aluminum fork enough to break any seal and then the coil over will unbolt easily.