Gen 4 T-stat

fqberful

Enthusiast
Reaction score
170'F TStat and a SCT tune to lower the fan temps makes a huge difference on my GenIII ... Not sure what can be done with the GenIV.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They can be a problem in the Gen IV. ViperX out here has (had?) one and would trip the CEL and go into limp mode on cool mornings driven easy. Dan Cragin at DC told me not to do it. BTW he always recommends the 170 with his tune in Gen III's.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
***DO NOT ALTER THE OE T-STAT IN GEN 4 ****

They are already the coolest-running Viper engines ever...... Not Broke = Dont Fix.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Wish the Gen IV were cooler running on the track.

Ran 170 T-stat for quite a while. Couldn't drive the car on the street at speed for more than 15 or 20 minutes in 70 F temps without the CE / lightning bolt / limp mode cutting in.

170 T-stat works great on the track if you warm the engine up well before your first couple of laps. Wish the Gen IV computer weren't so sensitive. Spoke with Todd at Arrow about it but have not heard back from him yet.

If you decide to run the 185 F (OE) T-stat and track your Gen IV in warm weather (and run it to it's potential), you can buy the CF close out panel from Arrow, which works great, drain some of the coolant and add water and water treatment (water wetter or whatever you prefer). You should also add a spring to the upper radiator hose as it will collapse under extended WOT operation and limit coolant flow.

You can also pull the T-stat housing are debur / rework it a bit for better flow. A Dremel tool works well.

If you are tracking the car in HOT weather, you may wish to box the air flow into the radiator.

Next up would be adding a bigger / better radiator like the ACR X guys had to do.

....and you cold pull the A/C parts for more air flow, but that's more than I am willing to do now .....

Dan