Gen 4 wanted

dmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
New member and not a owner yet but am looking to change that. I currently own a C6 Z06 and its a great car. I have to attribute my looking at vipers to my son, he loves cars and only 13 years old. So, I have been looking around and like the Gen 3, Gen 4 and 5s. I visited a dealer and sat in a SRT and GTS. I am going to go to Barber motors track day next weekend
and talk more. I will drive it next time but am already sold, I think. I live in a small town and only one viper here and its
a ACR, in fact met him tonight.
After thinking about the prices, I have seen G5's for 97K, a couple G4's for about 80, some used G4's 59-72K.
So my thoughts are I can settle for a G4 and save about 20K+.
My color preference is green with or without strips. If anyone knows where one is I would appreciate it.

Do you all think the G5's are worth the extra $$?
I'm leaning on some educated folks to chime in and maybe help fill in some holes for me to help with my decision.

Thanks!!

-David

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 1 of 1 snakeskin green with silver stripe ACR, dunno if I would sell it but I could consider it.

St.Char

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Gen 4 would be a great first Viper for you! Gen 5's start getting into more electronics, which I think are great, but still need some tweeking, besides with a Gen 4 will let you experience what Vipers are all about without any help from the car. Once you experience that, you will be more certain whether a Gen 5 is right for you. Going from a Z06 to a Gen 4 you are going to gain around 100hp difference, which is considerable, but adding a additional 40hp gain with a Gen 5 isn't that noticeable for the difference in price. Now a used Gen 5.....well maybe that's a different story. Good luck with the purchase....which ever you go with!

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
G4, definitely, maybe even a higher mileage ACR (well worth the extra $$ if you can swing it and plan to track the car). Same drivetrain except for forged pistons in the G5 and you can get an offroad ECU and bolt on parts for the G4 and add 100+ HP.

dester243

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's a gen 4 black convertible in classified for 49 990. Has over 50k miles though

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an 08 ACR ********. 1 of 2, 1 of 1 new, still in wrapper…less than 90K (orange / Black)

Getnlwr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bought my Gen 4 a few months ago as a first viper, You'll enjoy it! Go get one! I'll consider a gen 5 in a few years after/if the vert comes out.

SSGViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an 08 SSG coupe (no stripes) with 805 miles on it that i might consider selling. It's pristine.

Gustfront

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I saw a yellow with black stripes Gen 4 for sale at a dealer in Houston. It has a wing and front splitter, but I don't think it's an ACR as it has driving lights and there are no dive planes. Looked pretty good though. Had racing 6 point belts too.

Wade,
09 ACR owner

Viper Grenade

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For $65k is sell my 10kmi Venom Red coupe. Has RB1 and clear bra, new Invos all the way around.

MtnBiker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I owned a C6Z06 prior to my Gen IV. It was the best move I made to trade up to the Viper. You will NOT regret it. Welcome!

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw a yellow with black stripes Gen 4 for sale at a dealer in Houston. It has a wing and front splitter, but I don't think it's an ACR as it has driving lights and there are no dive planes. Looked pretty good though. Had racing 6 point belts too.

Wade,
09 ACR owner

That is an Aero Coupe, been for sale for about a year.

OP
OP
D

dmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I owned a C6Z06 prior to my Gen IV. It was the best move I made to trade up to the Viper. You will NOT regret it. Welcome!

thanks for the vote of confidence! I'm sold already. I enjoy the Z just fine and it sounds awesome! I have always been the kind that doesn't fit into the standard mold so i like stuff others don't or aren't willing to sacrafice for.

OP
OP
D

dmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
guys, I'm gonna go to the track this weekend and drive the Gen 5 and see where it goes. Not sure what I'm gonna do.
I wish I knew if the prices were gonna drop soon for the Gen 5s. Wish there was a Gen 4 around here for me to sit in.
Several have reached out to me, I will check it out if I don't go Gen 5.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What, what? When did I post I was buying another car .. lol. Snaking my handle there, hmmm. For the gen5, Ralph said they spent over half the budget on the stability control system. So I'd say if that's important, it might be worth a close look. Otherwise the overall design / look would be a deciding factor. Certainly the perf isn't worth the $ difference unless you just wan the latest thing. So it's more subjective stuff, like the new look and interior and how much you value that to the gen4. If you're interested in a black SRT/10, 2008, hit me up, mine is teen thousand mis and uber clean, new rims and tires, I'm thinking of selling in spring but open to selling primo to another David. ;-)Welcome to the viper addiction, your son will love it. Mine has grown up in the vipers I've had since he was 4 and now he's in college. Time flies.

OP
OP
D

dmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Dman!! My son is so addicted to high end cars too :) I got the fever for sure. I search all day looking at them. I feel like an addict.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62