Gen II and Gen III/IV comparison

natsfan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Looking to get my first Viper and am debating between getting a Gen II GTS or a Gen III/IV coupe. If I get get a Gen II will go for a 2002 with 15k or less miles. If I get a Gen III/IV I would probably get a 2006 maybe a 2008 with 30k or less miles.

How do the cars compare? Will one be more reliable? Is one better for a first time owner? I plan to drive the car a lot, own it for a long time, and learn to drive it well. Maybe even some autocross.

Here are the pros and cons I see of each car. However, I have not driven either so I don't know what I am talking about.

2002 pro:
Great looking design with a lot of history
Cheaper to buy
May become a collector car

2002 cons:
Brakes are not up to the performance level of the rest of the car
Older (will the car be less reliable and harder to fix?)

2006/2008 pro:
More power. (However, 450 is more than enough for me right now)
Better brakes
Better interior (In my opinion)

2006/2008:
Does not look as good (in my opinion)
More expensive.

Thanks for the help and feed back.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Never driven a gen 2 personally, though my mom has a gen 1 that is at least somewhat similar as far as controls go I believe. I love my gen 3 and think it's pretty comfortable overall. They are significantly different cars, but cut from the same cloth as well. Both offer perma-grin fun, though the gen 1 definitely has a somewhat "less polished" feel. As many have said, the early ones were really almost more like kit cars than a factory product. The primary difference I've found is the controls. The gen 1 had really short travel pedals and no dead pedal. The gen 3 has quite a bit more swing to the throttle and clutch and at least manages to keep the clutch off of the kick panel. There's not a huge dead pedal, but at least something you can rest your foot on from time to time. The brakes as you mentioned are also night and day. I almost like standing on the binders as much as I like hitting the gas. However, there are options for upgrading the earlier gen brakes and it's something you could save up for and probably do over a weekend. I've put 20k on my car in the year I've owned it and have had near zero problems. Don't think the earlier ones are any more prone to it. They are solidly built cars designed to take punishment.

No matter what you pick you'll likely have a blast. The best advice is to try to test both out if you can find any way to do that. Everyone is different and has their own tastes. Worst case if you didn't like the one you picked after a while you could probably trade it off on a different one fairly easily.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I find the styling of the Gen II out weights the technology improvements of the newer models. It also has more performance than most people are able to "fully" use. I love when people are modding their cars trying to get more hp when the best mod you can do is the nut behind the wheel, money is better spent going to driving school. I am getting off topic now so will just simply say there is no replacement for the Gen II, it is iconic. That said you can't go wrong with any of the choices. All great cars.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks are subjective but mechanically newer is always better.

Thom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are a big guy, the gen 3/4 cars are slightly easier to get in and out of. I was originally going to buy a gen 2 (2000), but decided not to because it was painfully awkward getting my feet in after I was sitting down. Starting with the gen 3 (2003), Dodge moved the windshield a little forward and widened the doors. It was only an inch or two, but it makes a significant difference for taller/larger people.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmmmm....to much to list.

Dollar for dollar is 2003 for 39k is by far the best value.

My gen two looked nice but its all pretty dated. Still an awesome car but after a few months of ownership the 90s elements will show there face.

The 03 still looks just like a 2010 in every way. They dont seem dated at all. Thats where Id put my money if your kool eith 500 hp. If not then gen4 all the way and an underated 600 hp

ViperWally

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had a GEN III Loved the car but wanted more Ump. I traded her in for a GEN IV and love the car more than enough HP and TQ to play with. You just need to respect it. It has a drive by wire some say it takes getting use to but I didn't notice any difference. The hood is BAD A$$. They did change the Trans, Bore the motor from 8.3 to 8.4 and believe me it don't seem like much but it is. I hear the GEN III are cheaper to mod due to computer being able to tune easier than the GEN IV.

I like them all but my heart is with the Gen III and IV, best bang for buck is probably the GEN III and put an 08-10 hood on it. :)

SFViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm considering trading in my 2005 Copperhead (upgraded with Corsa exhaust, Penske 8300, Viper Specialty oil pan & OEM '08 hood) for a T/A. Send me a PM and I'll give you a killer deal.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang