Gen II are a automotive masterpiece

BLWNASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is the question.

Again this past week I have seen a Yellow RT/10 passing me looking beautiful. There is something about Gen II's that are exotic. They draw an emotion. Gen III are well made, do have better brakes, but are somewhat (not neccesarilly faster) Vipers. My point is that Gen II have that awe factor. I sold my 505 RWTQ Gen II blue/white GTS a few month's ago. I hope the guy in Texas is now enjoying it. That car was A POWERFULL and mostly STOCK 97 Gen II GTS. Great, Great car.

My question is what do we do? The Corvette program is on our **** with the Zo6. The Gen III at least in So Cal, does not have the same emotional factor that Gen II's have.

I love the fact that the next Viper will produce some serious performance numbers. It will be a great car. And Hardtop Gen III's do look good. But they are not Rock starts like the Gen II appear. Am I just wanting attention. No! I actually believe in Viper performance ( VIPER PERFORMANCE!). But what IS frustrating is that IF they make a GEN IIII, please go back to making it exotic (at least looking). You know over the top.

You see we all are jaded by the fact that the Gen I or II Viper is pure emotion. It draws a emotional reaction when they pass you. I can only think of VERY few cars that trully do that.

So Let's all hope that the Viper program keeps up with the quality build of the Gen 3.5, and they create a design for the next one that is nails. The Gen II will always be an automotive legend, and the next Gen should be a outstanding follow up. So do I buy a Gen II and supercharge it? or save my pennies and wait for the real next Gen.

Ya, gotta love the discussion these cars evoke.

Your thoughts?

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally, I dont think I will ever own a Viper, Other than a GTS...... For the exact reasons you describe.. I could go buy a new SRT today if I wanted. The SRT is a much better car in many ways. They just will never produce the "awe" factor you describe. I believe GenII(especially late model,ABS GTS). Will be very collectable cars.

No offense intended, to any SRT owner. Thats why they make Chocolate and Vanilla ice cream, right? Some people have traded up their GenII's, for GenIII's, and could not be happier.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed that the GenII IS the awe-inspiring/whiplash-looking effect...we have the '05 SRT-10 Black Vert, which we absolutely love and also get the 'whiplash' effect from others....but yes, we agree, the Gen2's probably generate the most looks...I also feel it's the best-styled Viper out there. ~juli~

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are some subtle changes that could be made to the GenIII that would increase it's awe factor. Molding the hood with the upper fender section would give it much cleaner lines and the way the GenIII styling is they could leave the hinge placement where it currently is, since the clamshell was an alignment nightmare.

But even if Dodge doesn't make the cosmetic changes there is plenty of awe in the performance for 2008 not to mention a dozen Vipers running in WC every race.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh, definitely not disputing the performance factor for the '08 especially!! Would've hoped for a more distinctive look too as well. BUT, people who know cars, KNOW this is a Viper coming at 'em!! ~juli~
(one lady asked while looking right AT the words DODGE, if it was an imported exotic~)

DLTARNU

Suspended
Reaction score
Like many others, I could buy an SRT today if I wanted, but I never will. I don't care if they put out 1,000 HP and pulled 2G in a corner I still wouldn't bu...

Wait, that's a lie, I would buy one if they did that.

BUT, you know what I mean. The styling is what makes this car a head turner, not the performance. Dump 30g into a Civic and it will beat the pants off 99+% of Vipers out there, but it will still be a Civic.

I don't think the SRT is an unattractive car, it has nice lines, but it simply isn't the work of art Gen I/II's are.

I know, I know... A bunch of Gen III owners will chime in about the car looking just as good, NAY, BETTER! than the Gen I/II's but, the parent of even the ugliest child thinks she's beautiful :lmao:

96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Gen III is growing on my, but I seriously doubt it will ever evoke the same emotion as when I see a GTS. I wish they would put the Gen II body on the Gen 3.5 or IV chasis.

I helped a friend with a dead battery in his Gen III, and it seemed like the only thing the Gen II and III have in common is a name. I was really impressed with how much better his car was (thank you for putting an acess panel to the battery in the trunk). I didn't know about the little key slot under the mirror on the driver's door for getting in if the battery died, and I couldn't imagine a Viper with a "sleep" or "theft" mode. A LOT of thought and engineering went into the Gen III that I really wish I had on my Gen II. My Father has a SRT-10 Ram and I LOVE the "Start Engine" push button, and the first chance I get I will put on in mine.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are absolutely right. The Gen II is the only good looking Viper. The Gen I is SO much different. Not!

I will not defend any car here. But do you think they could make the same body style for decades, and keep the volume high enough to keep it going. Either you are crazy or you want a Porsche or VW. They are the only company that has done that successfully.

But think of it another way. The fact that the Gen I/II was for a limited time period increases the desire for those specific years. If the Gen III looked the same and had more performance the Gen II would be worth very little.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The styling is what makes this car a head turner, not the performance.

Not entirely. If the GenI/II came with a 230hp 4-****** it would have turned heads for the wrong reasons. Certainly the little old ladies and 4-year-olds would have still gawked but the core audience instinctively knew there was something special under the hood. That bigazz V10 added as much to the hysteria as the perfect curves did.

CANTDRIVE55

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was on the list for a new 2008 but changed my mind for many of the reasons mentioned....besides mine will put down some serious HP/TQ so I don't feel performance deprived! I have the Gen III brakes thanks to Dave and the HP AND the ACR/GTS looks!

OKViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not entirely. If the GenI/II came with a 230hp 4-****** it would have turned heads for the wrong reasons. Certainly the little old ladies and 4-year-olds would have still gawked but the core audience instinctively knew there was something special under the hood. That bigazz V10 added as much to the hysteria as the perfect curves did.

I agree with Chuck on this one...

If styling was all that mattered, the Prowler would be worth more than it is. If it had the Viper motor in it - It would add $15-20K to the price...

The first thing I always hear about the Prowler is that it is a poser car and the performance doesn't match the look...

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper (Gen1/2) is the single most beautiful car that has come from Detroit in the 40 years since the original Ford GT. The new Ford GT is the only car that excites me more and it cost at least twice as much. The SRT10 is a nice car, a beautiful car,and in many ways a better car.... but, for me, it lost that American muscle car edge, the distinctive Viper look, when the designer slapped on a Sebring rear end, added a Vette like cowl vent on the side and she lost her voluptuous curves.
Of course, that is my own opinion and opinions are like sphincter muscles, we all have them!

GTSRboy2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ive never really been a huge fan of the srt-10. it has a good design, but the back end of the vert and the fold up soft top jsut doesnt do it for me. i personally think the srt-10 coupe solves all these looks issues the srt-10 had, the back end and roof are amazing, id say its not far off from the GTS in looks, and its miles ahead in technology andpreformance, which is why id take a 08- if i was given the choice :)

but as far as price goes...if you dont want to pay for a 2008 or a 2006 Coupe, then go for the GTS

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree the stock SRT convertible rear end was kind of bland. Just a spoiler helped a bunch in my opinion.

100_3588.jpg

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am not a huge fan of stock looking gen 3's, but with some "tastefull" mods you can make them looks a whole lot better than stock. They do have nice lines, they just need to be brought out.

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just came home from having lunch with my girlfriend in my GEN 2, and it's funny reading this set of conversations and opinions as on my way home I was moving along past a bunch of traffic (just happened to pick the middle lane instead of the fast one and it moved continuously). I saw just as someone described a 4 year old boy face pressed against the window in the back seat....his mom yelling at him to get back into his car seat.

I Love the Gen 3 styling too, but more the Coupe than the Roadster, same as the Gen 2's. But when it comes to my next Viper, it'll likely be another Gen 2 ACR. I've seen some slightly modded Gen 3's that just screamed "BUY ME!!!!", so I guess the tasteful mods made the difference when viewing simply the exterior styling and not thinking about the performance differences and other advantages in the Gen 3's.

Thankfully we all have different tastes when it comes to cars and for each of us, we've found our certain specific look for the Viper!

Regards,
Aaron

OP
OP
B

BLWNASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do think the new Coupes look really pretty good. And with the addition of the revamped hood it will make the car look a little more exciting. It's just going to be really interesting to see how the next redesign is going to be, and the direction it will go.

It appears to me that the current auto industry style and trend, is designs with more angles and "sharpness" to them. I would bet that in the coming years cars will begin to smooth out, and become rounded, shapely. It seems like the basic artistic designs go back and fourth in some sort of way. The Gen II was an excellent example of that. Marylyn Monroe on wheels. Just shapely and beautiful.

I like women like Marylyn Monroe, Hmmm.

Last edited:

viprvenm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My opinion - There has never been a better looking car made than the GEN II Viper GTS.

With that said... I agree 100%.

Jason

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed. The styling is amazing on the Gen I and Gen II cars which is something they defintely fell short on the Gen III. Just added another Gen II to the garage last year for this reason. DC, if your listening, create some AWE factor styling and I will be a repeat customer again, and again, and again, and again....

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What I don't like about the Gen 111 is the "vette" approach. I realize that it makes the car more aerodynamic, but for looks ... my love is the GTS. I don't mind adding a few hp to compensate for the slightly higher CD.

Ted

Vipera

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What a bad thread for me...
I've been fighting this for years. I've been wanting the exotic looks with the new technology. My solution so far has been to upgrade everything that I could on my Gen II, ie. Venomize it. On one hand, I'm happy I did, but I wish I would have had someone else do the work, other than you know who. Anyhow, after DC fixed all the B.S. (almost a year) I think I had the best solution. That is if you have the cash to put into it. I'm in almost double the cost of a stock Viper. However, at this point I wouldn't change a thing. (and not just because I'm broke) LOL
Too be fair the more I look at the GenIII the more I'm starting to like it... Maybe I'll get one of each?? Oh my God here I go again!!!:dunno: :crazy2: Please for the love of God, no more of these kinds of threads...

DLTARNU

Suspended
Reaction score
My solution so far has been to upgrade everything that I could on my Gen II...

That is what I did, as well. Sent my Gen II to Doug Levin and it came back a new car. So I have more HP than a Gen III, a better sound than then Gen III, and soon I will have Dave's Big Brakes so it will stop nearly as well as a Gen III, but still have the unparalleled looks of the Gen I/II.
Every time I get the urge to buy another car, I just upgrade the Gen II :headbang:

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The GTS brings a smile to my face every morning. For the 08 to do that, I would have to start it up. That's the difference.:drive:

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Gen II's are just classical styling similar to the old Cobra's and Ford GT's and they will never go out of style IMHO.

As for the performance I did not think there was that big a difference stock for stock between the Gen II's and Gen III's. It certainly isn't earth shattering. :dunno: I do like the styling of the Gen III cars while it isn't as exotic looking as the Gen II cars but I think the biggest problem with it is it is not real photogenic but looks awesome in person and similar to the Gen II cars has a very good road presence.

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is a pic of the latest and greatest Coupe. In this pic you can see the lines of both cars pretty well. There is a suggestion of the old curves over both wheels but they are filled in. The car is just too angular. The nose of the car is the most impressive part. When I first saw pics of this car I wasn't impressed. However to see the car in person is a different story. (The paint is really cool but a NIGHTMARE to maintain. No soap, no wax, no detailing fluids of any type,only warm water...looks cool though!) I definitely like the new coupe over the convertible but I think it is almost impossible to make a car more beautiful than the GTS.
08CC-96GTS-small.JPG

Stray Cat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK,

Prowler is 253 HP in a 2600 Lb. car. I have Borla, MTD Intake and now Gears. No, it will never run with a Viper... but if you can't drive a Viper (and many can't), it will certainly surprise the hell out of you off the line. Trust me.

Plus, I assure you I can sell my 2001 Prowler with 9,000 miles on it for exactly what I paid for it. Not too bad.

Or, check this one out..... 11.65 in the quarter..... kinda fun.

http://www.prowleronline.com/scrapbook/neweventview.php?id=380

I love My Prowler..... GEN II Viper is a work of art too. GEN III, while maybe not the automotive Masterpiece of the GEN II is a gorgeous car and what I think is a truly fitting successor to the Original car. My Wife and Kids (couldn't believe it) actually prefered the 2005 Copperhead. Remember, the Vette was introduced AFTER the Viper. So it's not the Viper's fault that Chevy copid off of them. I have owned both and while I loved them both, the SRT was beautiful - Gotta love the Orange.

My two cents.

John

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang